UPDATE: Hughes Springs hires Joshua Willis

Smoaky

24 minutes ago, AsSeenOnTV said:

So in the time that Coach Edwards was AD, 16 years, the new guy has been to like 7 places?!?? Hughes Springs might become a revolving door.

I don't worry as much about assistants who jump jobs.....quite often especially as they take promotions or take lateral moves at larger school etc...just part of climbing the ladder

44 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I don't worry as much about assistants who jump jobs.....quite often especially as they take promotions or take lateral moves at larger school etc...just part of climbing the ladder

Agree with this. What is the trajectory????

Not sure about the success of forced participation. I know there are ways to suggest/recommend participation to athletes, but I'm not sure it is ethical to force someone to play a sport they do not like...and what happens to off season if everyone is always in season.  Just sounds odd to me.

Edited by neveragain
correction of false statement

45 minutes ago, neveragain said:

Not sure about the success of forced participation. I know there are ways to suggest/recommend participation to athletes, but I'm not sure it is ethical to force someone to play a sport they do not like...and what happens to off season if everyone is always in season.  Just sounds odd to me.

Yep, person I talked roo said there was multiple kids who said they would just drop out of athletics is it was pushed that way.

3 hours ago, StangtilDeath said:

Heard that the new guy met with the athletic kids and told them if they wanted to stay in athletics that they would be required to be in atleast 4 sports. 

Highly doubt this but if so he won’t last long, seen and heard stranger things but doubt it 

2 hours ago, StangtilDeath said:

Yep, person I talked roo said there was multiple kids who said they would just drop out of athletics is it was pushed that way.

Well good! The guy came in with a plan. I mean that's one way to get all the studs that wouldn't play for Coach Edwards out of the bleachers and on the field. Roster should be 40 plus this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StangtilDeath said:

I'm gonna dig into it some more tomorrow but this came first hand from a kid who sat thru it.

Spoke with a kid myself after hearing of this, and the kid said he’d like to see them playing multiple sports and but no mention of 4 sports though! Let’s give the guy a chance before we start spreading absurd stuff that doesn’t even make sense, because how are you gonna get 60ish plus kids at a 3A school to play 4 sports much less have positions for all of them to get 4 sports in! Com on man 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horns85 said:

Spoke with a kid myself after hearing of this, and the kid said he’d like to see them playing multiple sports and but no mention of 4 sports though! Let’s give the guy a chance before we start spreading absurd stuff that doesn’t even make sense, because how are you gonna get 60ish plus kids at a 3A school to play 4 sports much less have positions for all of them to get 4 sports in! Com on man 

Lol, ok dad.  How many sports are there at hs?  Be plenty of room for everyone.  Im not trying to "spread" anything.  Just stating the facts.   Was your contact in the same group as my contact?  Could of been different stuff said in different meetings.  I trust my source. 

5 hours ago, Horns85 said:

I'm with this guy. Give the new guy a chance. Plus, he may indeed require his athletes to participate in all 4 sports as mentioned above and he may even put that requirement in his handbook. But the first person that goes to UIL will have that requirement reversed. So, this is a non issue. Transitions are not easy, but give this newcomer a warm welcome and a clean slate. Who knows, what if he is great for kids and can coach ball! You won't know unless you give the man a chance.

• Like 2

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Hughes Springs hires Joshua Willis