Special education clash: Supreme Court sides unanimously for disabled student

Monte1076

Good for him and them to win, as he quite obviously didn't receive the FAPE (Free and Appropriate Education) that he deserved and that is legally mandated. In every special education meeting, I have ever attended here in Texas, we go over progress toward graduation, talk about credits needed, and we make sure that services are in place for specific disabilities. Parents are invited as members to every single meeting, and they should be given a chance to voice concerns and learn about all programs available, and those can extend into job programs or students can legally stay until they are 22 and be educated in some capacity. We even talk about housing programs out there for special needs students.

How this happened in Michigan if they were following what we follow as routine is beyond me. 

31 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Good for him and them to win, as he quite obviously didn't receive the FAPE (Free and Appropriate Education) that he deserved and that is legally mandated. In every special education meeting, I have ever attended here in Texas, we go over progress toward graduation, talk about credits needed, and we make sure that services are in place for specific disabilities. Parents are invited as members to every single meeting, and they should be given a chance to voice concerns and learn about all programs available, and those can extend into job programs or students can legally stay until they are 22 and be educated in some capacity. We even talk about housing programs out there for special needs students.

How this happened in Michigan if they were following what we follow as routine is beyond me. 

These are the two things from the article that jumped out at me:

Perez's parents learned that he would not receive a diploma and that aides the school assigned to him did not know sign language

And this:

His family says school officials misrepresented the qualifications of his aide. They say that aide, in later years, was assigned to other duties, leaving Perez unable to communicate with anyone for hours every day. And Perez was promoted through each grade level despite not having a grasp of the curriculum, his attorneys say.

The opinion itself (10 pages) has some interesting nuggets in it:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/21-887_k53m.pdf

Like this:

From ages 9 through 20, Miguel Luna Perez attended schools in Michigan’s Sturgis Public School District (Sturgis). Because Mr. Perez is deaf, Sturgis provided him with aides to translate classroom instruction into sign language.
For years, Mr. Perez and his parents allege, Sturgis assigned aides who were either unqualified (including one who attempted to teach herself sign language) or absent from the classroom for hours on end.

Edited by Monte1076

3 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

These are the two things from the article that jumped out at me:

And this:

The opinion itself (10 pages) has some interesting nuggets in it:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/21-887_k53m.pdf

Like this:

That's just insanely irresponsible but I don't understand how it was done, because there is such a process in place of accountability, that it almost had to be a conspiracy from top to bottom to let it happen. I am also wondering how involved were his parents in advocacy for him or monitoring his knowledge or progress. 
The whole thing makes me very sad for the student.