JUST IN: Republicans Overcome Democratic Opposition To Pass Parents' Bill Of Rights In House

Monte1076

44 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

God forbid parents have the ability to know what you're shoveling into their heads.

They already have complete access in my district, if they bother to look at the syllabuses going home and avail themselves of any of the online grading or learning platforms their kids are using. Every single Friday a district-wide newsletter goes out. There are plenty of meetings about honors options or clubs or dual credit. It's just more smoke and noise and ##### meant to ramp up the gullible out there, I guess, like yourself. 

7 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

They already have complete access in my district, if they bother to look at the syllabuses going home and avail themselves of any of the online grading or learning platforms their kids are using. Every single Friday a district-wide newsletter goes out. There are plenty of meetings about honors options or clubs or dual credit. It's just more smoke and noise and ##### meant to ramp up the gullible out there, I guess, like yourself. 

47 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Ok. But is that a policy of your district, or a state-level (or Federal-level) policy? There's a BIG difference in those things.

Yeah, didn't realize the United States House of Representatives was passing a bill just to make sure the parents of your district had access to your syllabus. Clearly in many districts parents aren't afforded that right.

4 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Ok. But is that a policy of your district, or a state-level (or Federal-level) policy? There's a BIG difference in those things.

3 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Yeah, didn't realize the United States House of Representatives was passing a bill just to make sure the parents of your district had access to your syllabus. Clearly in many districts parents aren't afforded that right.

So, first of all, there are guidelines followed by each INDEPENDENT district, as TEXAS has always wanted it, within the framework of the Texas Education Agency and with laws responsive to IDEA which is federal, so that all receive a Free Appropriate Public Education. There is a myriad of rules and regulations within every single step of the way for kids, including the option for parents to opt out of their students even having their name revealed in the yearbook. I don't have the stamina to list out all the ways that all school districts are required to communicate information and give access to legal guardians of students. YOU are asking for another layer, on top of all that, after daily, endlessly vilifying the federal government's 'overreach', and that just sort of makes me snort in disgust. 

19 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

So, first of all, there are guidelines followed by each INDEPENDENT district, as TEXAS has always wanted it, within the framework of the Texas Education Agency and with laws responsive to IDEA which is federal, so that all receive a Free Appropriate Public Education. There is a myriad of rules and regulations within every single step of the way for kids, including the option for parents to opt out of their students even having their name revealed in the yearbook. I don't have the stamina to list out all the ways that all school districts are required to communicate information and give access to legal guardians of students. YOU are asking for another layer, on top of all that, after daily, endlessly vilifying the federal government's 'overreach', and that just sort of makes me snort in disgust. 

Are you saying the Federal government doesn't overreach?

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

You are wanting me to agree that you think the federal government overreaches in some areas while you are pushing for them to overreach in this area? That it? 

Pushing freedom of information isn't overreach. 

Jackwagon teachers trying to sexualize children without parents knowledge is way more of an overreach. 

• Roll Eyes 1

You are wanting me to agree that you think the federal government overreaches in some areas while you are pushing for them to overreach in this area? That it? 

Nice try. You know EXACTLY what I'm asking. You're just dodging, as usual.

13 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Pushing freedom of information isn't overreach. 

Jackwagon teachers trying to sexualize children without parents knowledge is way more of an overreach. 

Haven't asked this not trying to be intrusive, but do you have kids? Because I know that I knew every single thing my 4 were learning from start to finish of their academic careers, because I checked their folders, went to presentations at school or concerts, and actually talked to them and had access to their online grade books. Their teachers sent home information, offered Remind accounts, and we had to sign off on anything remotely problematic, like a trip to the Holocaust Museum or studying sex ed or watching a PG13 movie. 

My local district has a newsletter that goes out every Friday with information and pictures, and each school has a very online presence on social media, in addition to having its own web page on the district website. All teachers have email addresses and quite often web pages of their own or Google Classrooms that are available, and all school board meetings are open to the public. If you have kids and you don't know what is going on in their classrooms, then you are spending too much time elsewhere. 

Haven't asked this not trying to be intrusive, but do you have kids? Because I know that I knew every single thing my 4 were learning from start to finish of their academic careers, because I checked their folders, went to presentations at school or concerts, and actually talked to them and had access to their online grade books. Their teachers sent home information, offered Remind accounts, and we had to sign off on anything remotely problematic, like a trip to the Holocaust Museum or studying sex ed or watching a PG13 movie. 

My local district has a newsletter that goes out every Friday with information and pictures, and each school has a very online presence on social media, in addition to having its own web page on the district website. All teachers have email addresses and quite often web pages of their own or Google Classrooms that are available, and all school board meetings are open to the public. If you have kids and you don't know what is going on in their classrooms, then you are spending too much time elsewhere. 

Yep, got 4 of them. I'm involved and I believe my school district is pretty safe on what they are teaching kids.  Don't believe it's that way everywhere.

Do you think teachers that are pushing things on kids are sending a note home in their folder that says "Just wanted to remind the parents that we are reading a book teaching 8 year olds how to masturbate this week! There will be homework, so be prepared to help!"???

I get it. You teachers get all up in arms any time someone talks a out failures at the educations system. 

11 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Yep, got 4 of them. I'm involved and I believe my school district is pretty safe on what they are teaching kids.  Don't believe it's that way everywhere.

Do you think teachers that are pushing things on kids are sending a note home in their folder that says "Just wanted to remind the parents that we are reading a book teaching 8 year olds how to masturbate this week! There will be homework, so be prepared to help!"???

I get it. You teachers get all up in arms any time someone talks a out failures at the educations system. 

I get it, too. I get that this has been an ongoing battle to fight off the forces of right wing partisans who want to diminish and control the public schools, because they are more often than not the safe haven of minorities, of LBGTQ students and staff, of the great unwashed. How else to explain the CRT push? The 'woke' #####, the endless, nasty accusations that have ZIP merit like your snarky remark up there. It's purposeful ignorance. It's a glossy turd. 

54 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I get it, too. I get that this has been an ongoing battle to fight off the forces of right wing partisans who want to diminish and control the public schools, because they are more often than not the safe haven of minorities, of LBGTQ students and staff, of the great unwashed. How else to explain the CRT push? The 'woke' #####, the endless, nasty accusations that have ZIP merit like your snarky remark up there. It's purposeful ignorance. It's a glossy turd. 

Actually, we're mostly trying to get control of the schools handed back to the citizens of the district who live there so that they have control over what their kids are taught. Not the state, the feds, or some made up committee. But we also want to know when school employees are trying to teach our kids things that are inappropriate or are counter to the morals and values we believe make this country great.

12 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Actually, we're mostly trying to get control of the schools handed back to the citizens of the district who live there so that they have control over what their kids are taught. Not the state, the feds, or some made up committee. But we also want to know when school employees are trying to teach our kids things that are inappropriate or are counter to the morals and values we believe make this country great.

The more you say, the less I think you actually know, at all, about what is going on in public schools nationwide. You don't seem to know jack about curriculum requirements or testing standards or day-to-day expectations, and this is in spite of having kids in school. You just sound pompous and clueless and you are just regurgitating incorrect dogma. I guess I expected more.  

16 hours ago, Olduy said:

While I may agree with the concept of the bill, I feel it is a States right issue. Feds have no business telling local districts what to do!

Leftists are now saying that "parents rights" in instances like this is "literally fascism". And that parent's rights is a "right-wing idea".