FLEXBONE

893Record

5 hours ago, giant said:

North Lamar Tatum Spring Hill from the gun Cooper from the Gun

I don’t get it. It’s an option alright. From what y’all are saying you can run any offense from the gun. Straight T, wishbone, split back veer, anything. When you move the qb to a shotgun then it becomes a totally different offense. Let’s move the pitching mound to third base and third base to the pitching mound, first base to right outfield—- hey- it’s still baseball. Only old school coaches will get this. (I fully expect this to be deleted by the powers that be.)

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Destry said:

I don’t get it. It’s an option alright. From what y’all are saying you can run any offense from the gun. Straight T, wishbone, split back veer, anything. When you move the qb to a shotgun then it becomes a totally different offense. Let’s move the pitching mound to third base and third base to the pitching mound, first base to right outfield—- hey- it’s still baseball. Only old school coaches will get this. (I fully expect this to be deleted by the powers that be.)

Moving the QB back adds a variable to the run game that keeping him under center restricts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Moving the QB back adds a variable to the run game that keeping him under center restricts.

Moving qb back 3 steps means the running back  is barely moving when he gets the ball but if qb is under center then running back is already moving when he gets the ball. It’s just what an individual wants. No right or wrong.

Moving the qb back makes it look spread to the laymen and everyday fan in stands and community. Still can ground and pound, but you don't get as many complaints about being an old school offense. 

Just now, Slickarick said:

Moving the qb back makes it look spread to the laymen and everyday fan in stands and community. Still can ground and pound, but you don't get as many complaints about being an old school offense. 

And you can read the back side every play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destry said:

Moving qb back 3 steps means the running back  is barely moving when he gets the ball but if qb is under center then running back is already moving when he gets the ball. It’s just what an individual wants. No right or wrong.

True, but most people that I have seen have done it from pistol and not side car so the RB would still have some momentum.

12 hours ago, 893Record said:

I honestly don’t consider Waskom offense Flexbone.. they do run Double Slot with a Little Midline but really I call it a “Jet Offense” Not triple but they do run it well with some great kids! 

They run the Flexbone but I believe most flexbones run the jet also, triple option is the bread and butter of the Waskom offensive May be an image of 6 people and people playing football

To be honest with you, I just looked at some Maxpreps video from this year and did see some triple option, including midline triple. I was basing my opinion from years ago in the finals when they ran only midline double and jet sweeps. Stand corrected 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:59 PM, Destry said:

Hey, old retired Coach here.   My personal take is that you can run many offenses from either under center or in Gun.   Wing T and wishbone are two of them.   Did both in Gun and under Center.  Once I learned that Gun was not the enemy it really changed my philosophy.  They may not be totally alike but they are a lot closer to being the same thing than "totally different" too.   Using Bone as an example if you are still reading "1 and optioning 2" what does it matter how the QB got the ball?  I remember when the Flex Bone became a thing   and the old guys said "Its not the same as bone".  Well maybe it is not EXACTLY the same thing, but it is pretty darn close.  My Grandaddy was a Bone Coach in the early 70's and when Midline and Trap Option became a thing he said the same thing "Not the same as Bone".  If Darrell Royal and Bear Bryant did not do it neither was he.  When I first became a Bone Coach and asked the OC "why we used a pitch man instead of using him as a Lead Blocker for the QB on midline?" because in his words "we would NEVER pitch it, I got told "that's not the Bone".

I remember talking to Emory Bellard (RIP) at a Texas Spring Practice thirty years ago about Bone.   I asked him why when he was at Texas they did not ever run Veer away from the Call side?  He laughed and actually said "we kept telling ourselves that is not what we do but we should have".  

With the Bone you are already Zone blocking and reading people.  By incorporating Bone with Gun and modern Zone Read concepts  it really opens up the field in ways that Darrel Royal and Emory Bellard could not even imagine.

Are there offenses you cannot run using Direct Snap?  Yup.  If I had to list them it would start with Slot T, Stack I and I.     But I am sure there are folks who would disagree with that too.

Just my .02

Edited by BillyClydePuckett
  • Like 1

Great read Mr. Puckett

I was recently at a place that was a 'flexbone' team.  We ran that but we also ran the Wishbone.....ALOT.  You can do all the things out of the bone that you can from the flex.  Its a great system that translates.  Teams struggled against us because we could get into Flex with or wthout a TE, Wishbone, unbalanced wishbone, and spread.  The plays were the same, I bet we didnt have more than 15-20 plays, but the looks gave people fits.  The only thing we ever struggled with was when the flex was out of the pistol it just seemed to hit too slow for us.  

1 hour ago, 893Record said:

Most Bone/Veer Guys will simply say the mesh takes too long to develop out of the gun. Timing simply put

Seems to me that defensive 9 tech could meet the qb and fb at the mesh point fairly easy unless they load block that 9, if run out of pistol or gun.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:40 PM, upullinmychain said:

And after all this,one really nasty nose gaurd can absolutely wreck the timing of all forms of bone /flex or the veer...under center or gun..defense wins championships...let the wood fly...lol 😂 

I prefer them veers tho.

Unless he is against a "more nasty" center/guard (or combination of the two, like Tatum this past year). In that case it does not matter who the NG is or what capability he has.