The MEDIA

Destry

Why can’t the media and liberal me generationist just shut up and let LSU enjoy their success without bringing all the social drama and accusations about “poor me I wasn’t treated fairly” crap in to tarnish a good basketball team and coach. I am from Texas by the way. About through even looking at the news! Now, I am through venting. Have a great day.

21 hours ago, Destry said:

Why can’t the media and liberal me generationist just shut up and let LSU enjoy their success without bringing all the social drama and accusations about “poor me I wasn’t treated fairly” crap in to tarnish a good basketball team and coach. I am from Texas by the way. About through even looking at the news! Now, I am through venting. Have a great day.

the drama is about the "now you see me now you don't" thing Angel Reese did to Caitlyn Clark.  Media, especially Barstool, started all in on how classless and trashy that was for her to do that.  What they didn't know is that she did it to a girl who was so cocky that she did it several times this season and a time or 2 in this tournament to other players and was praised for her cockiness!

Now, I am going to get serious here.  I am not a part of the CRT gang or whatever.  I can tell you though, that people tend to cheer and take the side of those most like them.  White girl, Caitlyn Clark, may be the most dominant player we have seen in WBB in a decade where the sport is mostly dominated by non-white athletes.  White people flocked to her, applauded her skill and effort, loved her point sheet etc.  She is a whiter version of Steph Curry and extremely impressive as a player.  So when Angel Clark dominated doing what she does (double-doubles) then shows that same gamesmanship and competitiveness, she gets labeled as classless, trashy, a detriment to the game, and unsportsmanlike.  This happened like this partially because she is black, but not a racial attack, but because these people identify and cheered for the white girl. 

It's good vs evil, ignoring the good's evil deeds in the past.  This is just my opinion on this entire situation.

Geaux Tigers!

2 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

the drama is about the "now you see me now you don't" thing Angel Reese did to Caitlyn Clark.  Media, especially Barstool, started all in on how classless and trashy that was for her to do that.  What they didn't know is that she did it to a girl who was so cocky that she did it several times this season and a time or 2 in this tournament to other players and was praised for her cockiness!

Now, I am going to get serious here.  I am not a part of the CRT gang or whatever.  I can tell you though, that people tend to cheer and take the side of those most like them.  White girl, Caitlyn Clark, may be the most dominant player we have seen in WBB in a decade where the sport is mostly dominated by non-white athletes.  White people flocked to her, applauded her skill and effort, loved her point sheet etc.  She is a whiter version of Steph Curry and extremely impressive as a player.  So when Angel Clark dominated doing what she does (double-doubles) then shows that same gamesmanship and competitiveness, she gets labeled as classless, trashy, a detriment to the game, and unsportsmanlike.  This happened like this partially because she is black, but not a racial attack, but because these people identify and cheered for the white girl. 

It's good vs evil, ignoring the good's evil deeds in the past.  This is just my opinion on this entire situation.

Geaux Tigers!

Did you read what Caitlin said aboutthe LSU girl- said that she should not be belittled because they were all competitive. She also said she did not want to go to the White House either. Heck who would want to go there to meet the worse president of all time and he doesn’t even know what he did yesterday. Just my opinion- I respect whatever yours is also. And definitely Geaux Tigers!!!!

58 minutes ago, Destry said:

Did you read what Caitlin said aboutthe LSU girl- said that she should not be belittled because they were all competitive. She also said she did not want to go to the White House either. Heck who would want to go there to meet the worse president of all time and he doesn’t even know what he did yesterday. Just my opinion- I respect whatever yours is also. And definitely Geaux Tigers!!!!

I put ZERO blame on either girl and put 100% blame on the biased media and social media/our society 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

I put ZERO blame on either girl and put 100% blame on the biased media and social media/our society 

Yep...  like I said on the Twitter: the only people upset over this never played ball.

The Iowa girl isn't wrong, and neither is the LSU girl. It's sports. Trash-talking is part of the game. Sometimes you're talking the trash, sometimes you're taking it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Yep...  like I said on the Twitter: the only people upset over this never played ball.

The Iowa girl isn't wrong, and neither is the LSU girl. It's sports. Trash-talking is part of the game. Sometimes you're talking the trash, sometimes you're taking it.

To me it shows respect from each girl who knows the other girl is just as good as she is. As long as the respect is there let them get after it as long as it is controlled, kinda adds to the game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Ehhhh, I disagree. That's not how I was coached. If you need that, you're lacking elsewhere. The trash talk is getting worse and worse and it's leading to some more serious consequences. The Texas vs Louisville incident comes to mind. The Memphis player being charged with assault due to an altercation after the game is another. Heck. Mark Turgeon got punched in the handshake line when he was at Maryland.

The handshake line is going to be a thing of the past soon. Which is such a shame- sportsmanship used to mean something. But I guess nowadays all emphasis is on winning at all costs, not on teaching people respect and to be good humans. Which is why people like Brandon Miller were allowed to play. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ehhhh, I disagree. That's not how I was coached. If you need that, you're lacking elsewhere. The trash talk is getting worse and worse and it's leading to some more serious consequences. The Texas vs Louisville incident comes to mind. The Memphis player being charged with assault due to an altercation after the game is another. Heck. Mark Turgeon got punched in the handshake line when he was at Maryland.

The handshake line is going to be a thing of the past soon. Which is such a shame- sportsmanship used to mean something. But I guess nowadays all emphasis is on winning at all costs, not on teaching people respect and to be good humans. Which is why people like Brandon Miller were allowed to play. 

I think it's different for football. There's more of a code and honor involved. Basketball involves much more one-on-one bravado. Football is more like warfare. Basketball is more like gladiatorial spectacle. 

The post-game stuff needs to be nipped in the bud. That much I agree with. Nothing short of an assault charge, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I think it's different for football. There's more of a code and honor involved. Basketball involves much more one-on-one bravado. Football is more like warfare. Basketball is more like gladiatorial spectacle. 

The post-game stuff needs to be nipped in the bud. That much I agree with. Nothing short of an assault charge, in my opinion. 

Fair enough. Never played basketball, but I do know trash talk is far more part of that culture than Football or Baseball. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Well things were much different in 1918 when you and @KirtFalcon were in school........:rofl:

My senior year in high school (1971) season in football, we played Cushion at their place ... Garrison only had three returning starters and we were 5 - 3 - 2 that year and missed the playoffs .... Cush had a pretty good team for their standards and the Daily Sentinel picked them to beat us ... something that has only happened a very few times in the history of the series ... we were determined not to let that happen  .... well we were up something like 34 - 0 in the 4th quarter ... Cush started blindsiding our players near the end of every play and the officials flagged them a few times for late hits and unsportsmanlike behavior ... I got wiped out from behind two plays in a row .... so I decided I was going to nail somebody .... we were on defense and they ran a sweep opposite of my position ... I picked out one of their receivers who was "picking his nose" and forearmed him about 10 yards flat of his back ... hid Dad and several others rushed the field ... after the melee, the officials stopped the game with about 5 1/2 minutes left on the clock ... we couldn't get out of there fast enough ....

3 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Fair enough. Never played basketball, but I do know trash talk is far more part of that culture than Football or Baseball. 

I play a lot basketball during the lunch hour at a local gym. Right after Covid I played with a different group for a couple of months. They talked trash a lot and some took it personal. Being the older guy there I was constantly having to be bossy with them telling them to keep it fun. They take their ball serious. I told them that if they were any good then they would not be playing lunch ball with an old man that they need to just chill a bit. It became a chore to play with them. Their group finally broke up allowing for the group that I have always played with to get back in gear.