Updated: Mineral Wells Hires Cody Worrell

Mr. P

On 5/5/2023 at 4:42 PM, bradbankman said:

Not gonna say that, he may do a good job. I know some applicants and if he’s the best maybe it will show in the way the program makes progress. However I scratched my head at it.

He wasn’t the most experienced, but he was the OC at Brock and El Campo and put up some numbers.  He also identifies his best players and gets them the ball, that is huge in MW where we have a 6’5” Sophomore WR who runs a 4.5ish 40 and had maybe 20 catches tops on the season.  

If he can repeat what him and his father have done the past 10-12 years or so, MW should be making some noise in Region 1.

4 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

Glad to see that MW ended the dual AD for boy's and girl's.  Never seen that work anywhere.  I never understood the sense in it.  athletic programs need one person in charge.  And no school needs yet another Administrator.  We have to dang many of those already.

Just my .02

1 person always outworks the other one.  It would never make enough sense to have 2 upper admin in that sense.  Now if you wanted an AD/Asst AD split, go for it.  That asst AD would take care of the logistical stuff in the fall so we can focus more on football for the AD.

On 5/8/2023 at 12:48 PM, Coach Rab said:

1 person always outworks the other one.  It would never make enough sense to have 2 upper admin in that sense.  Now if you wanted an AD/Asst AD split, go for it.  That asst AD would take care of the logistical stuff in the fall so we can focus more on football for the AD.

Exactly it just creates division among parents between the boys and girls especially with rules and accountability.  You got to have one face for the Athletic Department.  One set of rules.   Not to even mention that public schools need one more administrator like they need a hole in the head.

Worrell beat a couple of head coaches with good records for this job, but he's got a good resume as an assistant and being very successful just down the road at Brock cant hurt....I expected Mineral Wells to be better this year as it was...realignment will be interesting because they live on that cut line

6 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Worrell beat a couple of head coaches with good records for this job, but he's got a good resume as an assistant and being very successful just down the road at Brock cant hurt....I expected Mineral Wells to be better this year as it was...realignment will be interesting because they live on that cut line

Moving up or down, we still face the same types of hurdles.  Glen Rose, Hirschi, Graham all caused us issues in our region/district while in D2; while in D1 we face Decatur, Old High and Springtown in district.  Although, I'd rather take our shot in D2 with bigger numbers than one of the 10 smallest schools in D1.

On 5/15/2023 at 12:56 PM, blackandgoldeagle said:

I wonder is Worrell will get some Brock recruits?  Would not surprise some folks if he turns it around and gets some outside help in the process. 

We don't recruit in MW.  We haven't had anything to offer.  Hell, you can barely find housing here right now.

1 hour ago, Coach Rab said:

Moving up or down, we still face the same types of hurdles.  Glen Rose, Hirschi, Graham all caused us issues in our region/district while in D2; while in D1 we face Decatur, Old High and Springtown in district.  Although, I'd rather take our shot in D2 with bigger numbers than one of the 10 smallest schools in D1.

Hirschi will be gone so that helps things right there as well

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

We don't recruit in MW.  We haven't had anything to offer.  Hell, you can barely find housing here right now.

If you build it, they will come.  You make the right hires and get the right names in place, it can make a drastic change in a program.  Just look at Decatur this year.  Hired a coach from College Station(pays him $140,000 per year), gets an assistant coach with a son(RB) that has 25 D1 offers, and "boom" they are contenders. 

2 hours ago, blackandgoldeagle said:

If you build it, they will come.  You make the right hires and get the right names in place, it can make a drastic change in a program.  Just look at Decatur this year.  Hired a coach from College Station(pays him $140,000 per year), gets an assistant coach with a son(RB) that has 25 D1 offers, and "boom" they are contenders. 

Yep.  They are in our district 

19 hours ago, blackandgoldeagle said:

While true it is not like that one transfer pulled Decatur out of being everyones Homecoming Date.  If you look you will see that Decatur has gone at least three rounds deep and further, five of the last six years,  And the only reason they missed out on that one season where they did not was because batcrap crazy volleyball parents who thought their darling children should not be  disciplined after getting drunk at the State Volleyball Tournament ran for school board with the express purpose of firing the AD.   Then after they successfully got the HC run off (in june no less) they had to go with an interim who while is a good guy, he was not ready for that position.

While they might not have made it five rounds without the Palmer kid they dang sure would have made it three and maybe four.  The James kid was the real deal too plus they had another kid that could have given them a TB better than 75% of 4A programs they could have moved over from defense.  Not to even mention there were two sophomores on this years JV that would start for most programs.

Decatur has been kicking butt and taking names in practically every sport for almost two decades now,

Edited by BillyClydePuckett