Let's talk about school bond elections in East Texas...

Mavchamp

2 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

And it is such a minor factor that if  the ONLY people voting against a bond were those who were doing so because of racism, no bond would ever fail........

Or the NO crowd is just better at mobilizing their troops. 

• Like 2

Just now, RETIREDFAN1 said:

My point exactly .....it has nothing to do with racism.......

Nothing?  
I disagree. 

Like I said… the public discourse and social media presence of the NO crowd can easily sniff out the (poorly) veiled racism. 

Not for every bond in every district. But for some bonds and some districts it’s clearly obvious as Mr P also attested. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Nothing?  
I disagree. 

Like I said… the public discourse and social media presence of the NO crowd can easily sniff out the (poorly) veiled racism. 

Not for every bond in every district. But for some bonds and some districts it’s clearly obvious as Mr P also attested. 

@Mr. P SAID, but I notice he didn't post any data .. . Just his opinion......

If the YES crowd is too apathetic to go out and campaign, it's their fault and theirs alone that they lose......

10 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

My report is proprietary, internal research.

But you're welcome to rebut my conclusion.

You won't be able to, but you're welcome to try. All the data is out there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

If the YES crowd is too apathetic to go out and campaign, it's their fault and theirs alone that they lose......

He also said that most of the failed bonds were in majority minority districts.  That’s pertinent. 

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

He also said that most of the failed bonds were in majority minority districts.  That’s pertinent. 

That's...  not quite correct. 

Granted, there have been a LOT of bonds that failed, in a wide variety of socio-economic and racial demographic districts. But that's not statistically significant, because there are numerous other factors involved. 

What IS significant is the ones that pass. In that grouping there are clear markers for successful passage. Two of which being the aforementioned. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

That's...  not quite correct. 

Granted, there have been a LOT of bonds that failed, in a wide variety of socio-economic and racial demographic districts. But that's not statistically significant, because there are numerous other factors involved. 

What IS significant is the ones that pass. In that grouping there are clear markers for successful passage. Two of which being the aforementioned. 

Let me clarify. Of the ETX 5A schools. 
Not Etx as a whole. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

These schools struggle get bonds passed for schools. Not even talking about athletic facilities. 

Districts in ETX have trouble replacing schools that are 60, 70, even 90 years old.

And I’ll admit it’s an opinion about it being racist…. But all you have to do is attend these public information meetings, listen to the public discourse and mostly read comments on social media and it doesn’t take a doctorate to see that some of it is veiled in racism.  

I was actively involved in the Marshall bond in 2015 that took 2 tries to pass.  I definitely heard racist comments.  And I’m white. So it’s not like I was looking for it. 

Ask Mr P, who works with Longview ISD if he has experienced that with their bonds.  Can almost guarantee he has.

Im not saying all districts… or all people are having the problem.  I’m just saying it’s a factor for some districts. 

Passing a bond under this presidency with these interest rates would be the dumbest thing with the worst timing a school district could possibly do.  You could go with "things aren't getting cheaper" but the reality is sitting on the horizon.  School vouchers are being heavily pushed by conservative political groups nationwide.  If it happens in Texas, with these type of bills to pay, these schools will go bankrupt or they will be begging the state for massive bailouts.  

I want nice things at my school, but I also want it to be reasonable and responsible.  I will be voting NO on Aledo's 2nd or 3rd bond in 4 years.  Why would I do that when I have 5 kids in the district?  Well, because I don't feel like the money will be spent towards better serving the educational needs of the students.  I believe the city needs to be taught a lesson.  Growth is good, but when you can't meet the needs of the growth you are allowing, then you are failing everyone by trying to force bonds through to play catch up.  It is reckless spending.  We see enough of it in DC.  I don't want it where I live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

Passing a bond under this presidency with these interest rates would be the dumbest thing with the worst timing a school district could possibly do.  You could go with "things aren't getting cheaper" but the reality is sitting on the horizon.  School vouchers are being heavily pushed by conservative political groups nationwide.  If it happens in Texas, with these type of bills to pay, these schools will go bankrupt or they will be begging the state for massive bailouts.  

I want nice things at my school, but I also want it to be reasonable and responsible.  I will be voting NO on Aledo's 2nd or 3rd bond in 4 years.  Why would I do that when I have 5 kids in the district?  Well, because I don't feel like the money will be spent towards better serving the educational needs of the students.  I believe the city needs to be taught a lesson.  Growth is good, but when you can't meet the needs of the growth you are allowing, then you are failing everyone by trying to force bonds through to play catch up.  It is reckless spending.  We see enough of it in DC.  I don't want it where I live.

If you choose to wait to hold a bond, the price is going to go up regardless.

A bond voted on in May 2023 that is $20 million dollars, if you had the exact same projects in a bond in Mat 2028, the cost will be $28 million or whatever. It never goes the other way.

No one has a bond that is $25 million and if they wait five years goes down to $18 million.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VonG said:

Didn't they just vote no on the school vouchers. I'm confused on why people are still saying that. 

I said "there is a push."  This is the 3rd or 4th straight year that this has been moved through our legislature.  It won't stop until its overwhelmingly defeated.

17 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

If you choose to wait to hold a bond, the price is going to go up regardless.

A bond voted on in May 2023 that is $20 million dollars, if you had the exact same projects in a bond in Mat 2028, the cost will be $28 million or whatever. It never goes the other way.

No one has a bond that is $25 million and if they wait five years goes down to $18 million.

The cost of the bond doesn't matter to me.  I am with @Mavchamp in some aspects of this, which also line up with @RETIREDFAN1's viewpoints as well.  You can throw out a $250M bond.  If it is to build 2 new elementary schools that will meet the needs of the growing population and the projected growth for the next 10-15 years, improvement to current schools, updated computer labs, new desks, better flowing hallways, needed repairs, updated plumbing etc...  I am all for it. 

You address those needs first.  I don't need a new field house and stadium seating until the educational needs are met.  Like I said above, these people are taking your money and only building to meet today's demands.  Growth for the future is is needed.  Look at Mineral Wells ISD stadiums and athletic facilities.  When they built this, it wasn't for the 400 student athletes that were in the school at the time.  They built it for the potential growth and future needs of the city and ISD.  I've had 5A coaches play playoff games here and rave about our facilities... These were built 15-20 years ago!  

We have to be smart as voters.  Especially in local elections.  Especially in state elections.  And especially in National elections.  BE SMART! 

And with all of that being said, good job Melissa ISD.  It is going to be amazing.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Pertinent in that those who want the bonds passed in those districts are evidently getting out worked and out campaigned by those who don't want it passed.......race is irrelevant.....

Just now, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Pertinent in that those who want the bonds passed in those districts are evidently getting out worked and out campaigned by those who don't want it passed.......race is irrelevant.....

Iv seen them not passed in districts were the 65+ voted no because they thought it would effect them. Have to get the word out and educate people. Forney passed a BILLION dollar bond cuz they had ground troops, worked hard, had polling stations at apartments, educated all that they could and it worked. 

• Like 1

Just now, Slickarick said:

Iv seen them not passed in districts were the 65+ voted no because they thought it would effect them. Have to get the word out and educate people. Forney passed a BILLION dollar bond cuz they had ground troops, worked hard, had polling stations at apartments, educated all that they could and it worked. 

Hard work gets results.....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

I agree.  That’s poor planning by Aledo ISD.  Multiple bonds grouped together.  Esp huge bonds  

But many of these ETX districts have tried their first bonds in 40 years or more. 

2 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Hard work gets results.....

They made it to where it was the full build out that would max capacity out at Forney with students plus a % of transfers. They basically said your taxes are gonna suck for the next 7 years but then they will level out. So now at least until 20 years from now they dont have to worry much besides maintenance and renovations maybe.  Have to be able to sell your vision. 

Kilgore had a bond pass a few years ago for a new High School, upgrades to Football stadium and a Soccer/Track complex. It passed with less than 1k people voting in a town of roughly 20K. I thought was terrible but the bond was much needed and glad it passed 

• Like 1

PG passed their latest bond issue. PG took the approach to have improvements on every campus. The bond would affect every student in the district. In addition, the bond will provide a new sports complex and a 7 million field house. I no longer have kids in the school system and volunteered to be on the committee. Everyone on the committee had to find 25 yes votes. We were encouraged to get our 25 people to early vote. There was a lot of groundwork put in by everyone on the committee through networking, social media, and community advertising. You will always have those people that say “they don’t need all that”; however, you have to find those supporters and encourage them to vote Yes. 

• Like 3