Let's talk about school bond elections in East Texas...

Mavchamp

7 hours ago, swaha said:

What is Phase 2 of the baseball softball complex?

There’s a large area between the two fields that phase 2 would include a large building that’d have coaches offices, concession stands, etc.

It has to be done.  Believe it also includes much needed additional parking.

• Like 1

Do most people not understand that most of the time your property taxes go up because the value of your property has gone up!! Rarely do city, county and school districts raise their tax rates. In fact many districts often lower their tax rates because property values have increased immensely!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hoopscoach17 said:

Do most people not understand that most of the time your property taxes go up because the value of your property has gone up!! Rarely do city, county and school districts raise their tax rates. In fact many districts often lower their tax rates because property values have increased immensely!!

Exactly. I am always amazed at people that say they will vote No because they do not want their taxes to increase, even though the school multiplier is not changing. Your taxes are going up regardless whether you vote Yes or No due to your local appraisal district. At least, this has been the case where I live the last several years.

• Like 3

I saw someone post that they did not think some folks do not feel comfortable going to the school to vote.  I find that odd because in most small rural schools the vast majority of folks are at the school all the time for ballgames, graduation, Ag stuff, NHS, heck everything.  The only things that rival schools for social activities in these communities are the churches.   I am not sure how someone would be comfortable going to the HS for a football game but not the Admin building to vote?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

I saw someone post that they did not think some folks do not feel comfortable going to the school to vote.  I find that odd because in most small rural schools the vast majority of folks are at the school all the time for ballgames, graduation, Ag stuff, NHS, heck everything.  The only things that rival schools for social activities in these communities are the churches.   I am not sure how someone would be comfortable going to the HS for a football game but not the Admin building to vote?

It happens, Forney to help pass there Billon dollar bond issue made polling stations at apartment complexes, churches and Parks in town. Some people don't like the school building. Go to the People, not hard. 

41 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

It happens, Forney to help pass there Billon dollar bond issue made polling stations at apartment complexes, churches and Parks in town. Some people don't like the school building. Go to the People, not hard. 

So make sure that the people who will never pay a penny of the taxes that are being levied have a say in that money being taken from property owners. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

So make sure that the people who will never pay a penny of the taxes that are being levied have a say in that money being taken from property owners. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

So the only people that SHOULD get to vote on Bond elections are property owners?

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

So the only people that SHOULD get to vote on Bond elections are property owners?

I’ll answer a question with a question: Are YOU ok with people who don’t pay taxes deciding how YOUR money is spent? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, hoopscoach17 said:

Exactly. So many people don’t understand this. age 65, yes, taxes are frozen. I’ve seen appraisal districts crush the tax rate especially the last 2-3 years. Thanks Fed!!! Printing money and keeping rates too low for too long was a disgrace. Hard for schools and appraisal districts to plan when the gubment does  such stupid stuff. 

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ll answer a question with a question: Are YOU ok with people who don’t pay taxes deciding how YOUR money is spent? 

Some pay more than others, but EVERYONE pays taxes.  You buy a happy meal, you paying taxes. 

Also, if you referring to property taxes, think about those in the military who don't own a house.  Do they have a right to decide?

5 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Some pay more than others, but EVERYONE pays taxes.  You buy a happy meal, you paying taxes. 

Also, if you referring to property taxes, think about those in the military who don't own a house.  Do they have a right to decide?

Is that sales tax on the happy meal being used to fund education. Not in Texas. But you do bring up a good point. Doing away with the property tax as a means of school finance and going to a consumption tax would evenly distribute the tax burden to everyone involved. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, Mr. P said:

Depending on how deep you want to take this...  if you compile a list of districts with successful bond elections in the last 10 years, you find:
          1.) Most of those districts are not minority-majority student populations. 
          2.) Most of these districts are not over 70 percent economically-disadvantaged. 

No, I'm sure it's not solely because of overt racism. But the fact remains that the majority of districts who pass large bond elections are homogeneous and predominantly affluent. 

Gilmer is an economically disadvantaged district & it took many attempts and the elimination of things to finally get a bond passed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Rab said:

Not ETX but…

I am definitely voting no on this.  They exceeded capacity in elementary schools because they are piss poor planners.  Not falling for that again.

FC9E36F7-DAB0-4FCC-974F-F817C4F0EF58.jpeg

Damn. A elementary school costing damn near $60 million dollars. I believe Hubbard middle school will cost Tyler isd tax payers $69 million dollars and have 1200 student capacity. How big of a elementary school are they trying to build if the bond is passed? 

Edited by VonG

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Is that sales tax on the happy meal being used to fund education. Not in Texas. But you do bring up a good point. Doing away with the property tax as a means of school finance and going to a consumption tax would evenly distribute the tax burden to everyone involved. 

Not true. Although property taxes fund the majority of the school district expenses in Texas, the rest of it is funded by State and Federal Funds. Of course, state funds come from Sales Tax, which is something everyone pays.

2 hours ago, VonG said:

It's crazy right now in Texas with the way the appraisal districts are appraising these houses. Something is gone have to give.

not going to happen. Without a state tax and generally low sales tax across the state, this is the only way to make it up.