Let's talk about school bond elections in East Texas...

Mavchamp

9 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

not going to happen. Without a state tax and generally low sales tax across the state, this is the only way to make it up.

So the only to make it up. Is to appraise houses that was worth $300,000 last year. Let's appraise them for $550,000 this year. No people will lose their houses. No one got a significant raise to afford all of the things that went up after the pandemic. Remember the recession about 14 years ago. That's what is about to happen. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, VonG said:

So the only to make it up. Is to appraise houses that was worth $300,000 last year. Let's appraise them for $550,000 this year. No people will lose their houses. No one got a significant raise to afford all of the things that went up after the pandemic. Remember the recession about 14 years ago. That's what is about to happen. 

its not the only way, but its Texas sneak way of collecting more revenue while saying to the public that we have low taxes. We all want things, but at the same time we want low taxes. So we either got to get money from a tax source or decrease spending. But they never decrease, so unfortunately you left with this option. I don't agree with it, but thats how it is.

I think I read Texas has like top three highest property taxes in the US.

23 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

FB_IMG_1682099236718.jpg

I don't know about East Texas but here in the DFW the appraised value is almost always lower than the actual value of a  property. People migrating too Texas is the real culprit as to why home prices are being driven up. The apartment rental rate here is insane so renting is not a money saver.

Edited by Grainraiser
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

I don't know about East Texas but here in the DFW the appraised value is almost always lower than the actual value of a  property. 

You'd think we all lived in mansions down here if all you saw were the appraised values........:rofl:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grainraiser said:

I don't know about East Texas but here in the DFW the appraised value is almost always lower than the actual value of a  property. People migrating too Texas is the real culprit as to why home prices are being driven up. The apartment rental rate here is insane so renting is not a money saver.

The appraisal value in Tyler is more than what the actual house is worth. 

Whether people believe it or not. Tyler has the 3rd highest of living in Texas behind DFW and Austin. Tyler use to be very affordable. They now act like we are Highland Park or South Lake or something to that magnitude. 

https://www.ketk.com/news/local-news/where-is-the-cheapest-place-to-live-in-texas-we-ranked-18-cities-to-find-out/

Edited by VonG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to the original post...not sure when other bond elections are being held but Maud ISD had theirs Saturday and it passed!! Congratulations to the community and MISD employees. We loved living and working there...some of the nicest people I have ever been blessed to know!!

Just saw that Mt. Vernon's bond election passed!! Congratulations!!

Edited by blesseddaily

To folks who do not like their appraisal rate, I get it.   But unless you have formally gone down to the Appraisal DIstrict and fought your appraised rate, you deserve what you get.   over the years every time I have fought mine I have won.   It takes about an hour to do so and a few minutes of research beforehand.  Just saying.  

6 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Will you elaborate on the bold sentence above? How is it Aledo ISD allowing the growth? Ranches were sold and housing came in. 

What got me is the "conservative groups pushing vouchers".  God forbid parents get sick and tired of crap rotten public schools.  The nerve.  

38 minutes ago, GoBigBlue said:

Pewitt's passed, Brock's passed, and Aledo's passed.  Looks like a good election for bonds.

Man, they must've really worked to make sure all the community knew where to go to vote and felt comfortable going there. 

I thought Brock did a great job of explaining the bond with more than plenty of meetings too.  Only one place to vote that I know of there.  Was shocked it didn't pass the first time in November.  Was shocked it did this time after the last showing.  Hard to argue the need with the elementary already overcrowded and an onslaught of K-5 coming in the next 5 years.  I saw on one of the studies 500 more kids born than currently enrolled in Kindergarten.  That's like 700 kids for that grade alone.