🏈 The Official 2023 - 2024 2A DI District 11 Football Thread  🏈

KirtFalcon

I've been told by a reliable source that Garrison is installing a new artificial turf football field.  Work to commence very soon and it will be ready for this coming season in August .... it's the newer "twisted turf" variety .... 

bulldog.thumb.gif.ef70ab720fcb0792cd963c.......

21 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I've been told by a reliable source that Garrison is installing a new artificial turf football field.  Work to commence very soon and it will be ready for this coming season in August .... it's the newer "twisted turf" variety .... 

bulldog.thumb.gif.ef70ab720fcb0792cd963c.......

That is good news. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bored, so here’s my predictions for the year.

Timpson (hot take)

Garrison 

Joaquin

Shelbyville

West Sabine

San Augustine

Grapeland

Nothing really surprising or different from last year except my number 2 and 3 spots. They could flip depending on the day but I’ve got a feeling the Rams lost a bit too much. Also have no idea what Grapeland has coming up so SA gets the nod, though it’s probably only by a game or two.

Edited by WolfNation

I'd say the battle for the fourth and final playoff spot is wide open. Really after Timpson the playoff seeding could be interesting to watch unfold. I would say Timpson, Joaquin, Garrison, Shelbyville, Grapeland, San Augustine, West Sabine in that order. It's going to be a fun year!

Joaquin will be replacing 9 starters on offense, including the entire front 7. Also losing 7 defensive starters. We have some great looking kids coming up, but they will be baptized by fire in the early stages of the season. I expect everyone on our schedule to be better than they were in 22. I expect us to be good, but how good is kinda up in the air. 

5 hours ago, GHS96Alum said:

I'd say the battle for the fourth and final playoff spot is wide open. Really after Timpson the playoff seeding could be interesting to watch unfold. I would say Timpson, Joaquin, Garrison, Shelbyville, Grapeland, San Augustine, West Sabine in that order. It's going to be a fun year!

Timpson will get challenged by Garrison. After those two it is wide open. Expect SA to make a comeback this year and next year they will be the top in the district, and will be for a few years.

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Timpson will get challenged by Garrison. After those two it is wide open. Expect SA to make a comeback this year and next year they will be the top in the district, and will be for a few years.

As far as this year, I don’t disagree with you. Who knows what the districts in East Texas will look like after the next realignment. We will probably have EF and a couple of others dropping down from 3A and some of the current D1 teams will drop to D2. But SA has been really young the last couple of years and should be primed for a comeback. 

• Like 1

When I saw this I couldn’t help but get excited even after last years mess. But I’m pretty sure Joaquin will be a tough win for anyone just off the offense yall run so I don’t expect too crazy of a drop off. It’s definitely gonna be a interesting year

IMG_6275.jpeg

20 hours ago, Cowboys1970 said:

True Blue,

Who are some of the current D1 teams will drop to D2 do you think?

West Sabine, West Hardin and Grapeland all always seem to be on the D1/ D2 bubble. Of course you could see schools like Alto, Cushing or Carlisle bump back up depending on the number. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

West Sabine, West Hardin and Grapeland all always seem to be on the D1/ D2 bubble. Of course you could see schools like Alto, Cushing or Carlisle bump back up depending on the number. 

Rumors abound about several 3A DII schools dropping to 2A DI .....

• Like 1

I don't see the number dropping. Also last numbers I got I think Alto will be a Division 2 school. Only time will tell of course, but I do know their numbers have been under the 164.5 or so since February 2021. Last number I got was around 158.

Edited by Cowboys1970

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

The cutoff is sort of a trickle down effect. They want to keep X number of teams in each division, and it starts at the top. So growth in places like Frisco and Katy has an impact on communities like Garrison and San Augustine. 

On 6/8/2023 at 11:44 AM, KirtFalcon said:

These schools in the area were in the 250-275ish range last time. The cutoff was like 249.

Arp

Daingerfield

Dekalb 

EF

Leonard

Newton

Pewitt

Waskom

23 hours ago, Valhalla said:

These schools in the area were in the 250-275ish range last time. The cutoff was like 249.

Arp

Daingerfield

Dekalb 

EF

Leonard

Newton

Pewitt

Waskom

I definitely feel like some of those will drop. I just don’t know which ones. EF looks like a sure thing. 

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

I definitely feel like some of those will drop. I just don’t know which ones. EF looks like a sure thing. 

I have heard that some people think the opposite and the cutoff will return to that pre-covid number of around 225.

That would push some schools like Ore City and Harleton back up to 3AD2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I have heard that some people think the opposite and the cutoff will return to that pre-covid number of around 225.

That would definitely be a game changer. Predicting what the UIL will do is kinda like guessing what the weather will do in East Texas. 

1 hour ago, Washington76 said:

I heard there is a very real possibility Newton is dropping. Also, Grapeland numbers are in the mid to low 150s. 

Newton is currently showing 285 grades 8-11. UIL would have to raise the cut for Newton to drop. 

On 6/10/2023 at 9:41 PM, Valhalla said:

Ore City is currently showing 251 grades 8-11. Harleton is not close at 212 grades 8-12. 

On 6/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, trueblue82 said:

EF last count of 257 grades 8-11. They are close but still above the most recent cut off.

• RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to 🏈 The Official 2023 - 2024 2A DI District 11 Football Thread  🏈