Today in Hymn History

RETIREDFAN1

A fellow Christian and Facebook friend Jason Goldstrap posts these.....thought I'd share them......

Today in Hymn History, May 1

BORN: Carey Bonner, 1859 in Southwark, London, UK, author of the collection "Sunday School Hymnary," 1905 which contained the hymn "Love Him, Love Him (all ye little children)." 

DIED: Martan Madan, 1790 age 64 in Epson, Surrey, UK, arranged the lyrics for "Lo! He Comes with Clouds Descending." 

BORN: Anthony Johnson Showalter, 1858 in Cherry Grove, Virginia (now West Virginia), wrote the chorus for "He Loves Me," music for "In the Morning of Joy" and "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms."

Today in Hymn History, May 2

DIED: John Douglas Sutherland Campbell, 1914 in East Cowes, Isle of Wight, UK, arranger of "Unto the Hills" adapted from Psalm 121. 

BORN: James Cleveland Moore, 1888 in Draketown, Georgia, wrote "I Have Heard of a Land (Never Grow Old)."

Today in Hymn History. May 3

BORN: Arthur Henry Dyke Troyte, 1811 in Killerton, UK, music for "By Christ Redeemed, in Christ Restored."

DIED: William Whiting, 1878 age 52 in Winchester, Hampshire, UK, wrote "Eternal Father, Strong to Save."

Today in Hymn History. May 4

Carl Gotthelf Gläser, 1784 in Weiß­en­fels, Ger­ma­ny, wrote the tune "Azmon" used for "I'm Not Ashamed to Own My Lord," "O for a Faith That Will Not Shrink" and "O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing."

Today in Hymn History, May 7

BORN: Palmer Hartsough, 1844 in Redford, Michigan, wrote "I Am Resolved" and "Jesus Is Calling." 

DIED: Richard Storrs Willis, 1900 age 81 in Detroit, Michigan, wrote music for "Fairest Lord Jesus" and "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear."

Today in Hymn History, May 10

BORN: Christopher Columbus Stafford, 1893 in Blount County, Alabama, music for "The New Song." 

DIED: Jaroslav Jan Vajda, 2008 age 89 in Webster Groves, Missouri, wrote "God of the Sparrow." 

DIED: Anna Laetitia Waring, 1910 age 87 in Clifton, UK, wrote "In Heavenly Love Abiding."

Today in Hymn History, May 11

BORN: James Martin Gray, 1851 in New York City, New York, wrote "O Listen to Our Wondrous Story."

BORN: Septimus Winner, 1827 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, music for "Whispering Hope."

"It Is Well With My Soul" is one of my favorite hymns. The story of how Horatio Spafford came to write this great hymn of the faith is both heart breaking and an example of faithfulness to all of us that have ever questioned God during times of trial.

https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-it-is-well-with-my-soul

Im not trying to high jack this thread so feel free to move it if needed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

"It Is Well With My Soul" is one of my favorite hymns. The story of how Horatio Spafford came to write this great hymn of the faith is both heart breaking and an example of faithfulness to all of us that have ever questioned God during times of trial.

https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-it-is-well-with-my-soul

Im not trying to high jack this thread so feel free to move it if needed.

Good post ......it's about a hymn.....

Today in Hymn History.  May 12

DIED: Joseph Badger, 1792 age 59 in Honeoye, New York, compiled the book "Hymns and Spiritual Songs" which included the hymn "God Is Love."

BORN: Audrey Mae Wagner Mieir, 1916 in Leechburg, Pennsylvania, wrote "His Name Is Wonderful."

BORN: Erdmann Neumeister, 1671 in Uech­ter­itz, Ger­ma­ny, wrote the German hymn "Jesus nimmt die Sünd­er an!" which was translated into English by Emma F. Bevan into "Sinners Jesus Will Receive (Christ Receiveth Sinful Men)."

Today in Hymn History, May 13

DIED: James Welch Ferrill, 1975 age 95 in Mart, Texas, wrote "I Want to Be a Soul Winner."

DIED: William Matthew Golden, 1934 age 46 in Eupora, Mississippi, wrote "A Beautiful Life" and "To Canaan's Land I'm on My Way."

BORN: William Paton Mackay, 1839 in Montrose, Scotland, wrote "We Praise Thee, O God."

BORN: Arthur Seymour Sullivan, 1842 in Bol­well Ter­race, Lam­beth, UK, music for "Onward, Christian Soldiers."

Today in Hymn History. May 14

BORN: Timothy Dwight, 1752 in Northampton, Massachusetts, wrote "I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord."

BORN: Bryan Jeffery Leech, 1931 in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, UK, wrote "Come Share the Lord."

Today in Hymn History. May 15

BORN: Frederick Augustus Fillmore, 
1856 in Paris, Illinois, wrote "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" and "Sowing the Seeds of the Kingdom," music for "In the Desert of Sorrow and Sin."

DIED: Thomas Hastings, 1872 age 87 in New York City, New York, music for "Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah," "How Shall the Young Secure Their Hearts?" and "Rock of Ages."

BORN: Sylvanus Dryden Phelps, 1816 in Suffield, Connecticut, wrote "Savior, Thy Dying Love."

DIED: James Samuel Torbett, 1941 age 73 in Gatesville, Texas, wrote "The Gloryland Way."

Today in Hymn History. May 16

DIED: Edward Henry Bickersteth, 1906 
age 81 in Paddington, London, UK, wrote "Peace, Perfect Peace."

BORN: Arthur Henry Mann, 1850, Nor­wich, Nor­folk, UK, music for "O Jesus, I Have Promised."

Today in Hymn History. May 18

DIED: Maltbie Davenport Babcock, age 43 in 1901 in Naples, Italy, author "This is My Father's World."

BORN: Jewel Monroe Whitey Gleason, 1932 in Kingman, Kansas, wrote "His Grace Reaches Me."

BORN: William Burton Walbert, 1886 in Barren County, Kentucky, music for "What Is He Worth to Your Soul?"

DIED: Henri Abraham César Malan, 1864 age 76 in Van­dœuvres, Switz­er­land, music for "Lord, We Come before Thee Now."

BORN: Lloyd Otis Sanderson, 1901 near Jonesboro, Arkansas, music for "All Things Bright and Beautiful," "Be with Me, Lord," "Bring Christ Your Broken Life," "Buried with Christ," "He Loves Me," "How Precious Is the Book" and "'Tis Set, The Feast Divine."

Today in Hymn History, May 19

BORN: Mary A. Brown, 1856 in Natick, Rhode Island, author "Arise! The Master Calls (for thee)." 

DIED: Ruth Adalyn Hearn Evilsizer, 1899 age 36 in Dalton, Georgia, wrote "In the Morning of Joy." 

DIED: John Bunyan Herbert, 1927 age 64 in Monmouth, Illinois, music for "What Shall It Profit?"

Today in Hymn History.  May 20

DIED: William Ralph Featherstone, 1873 age 26 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, arranged the hymn "My Jesus, I Love Thee."

DIED: Clare Herbert Woolston, 1927 age 71 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, wrote "Jesus Loves the Little Children."

Today in Hymn History. May 21

BORN: Doris Mae Ackers, 1923 in Brookfield, Missouri, wrote "Sweet, Sweet Spirit."

BORN: Robert Murray M'Cheyne, 1813 in McCheyne, Edinburgh, Scotland, wrote "When This Passing World Is Done."

DIED: John Zundel, 1882 age 61 in Stuttgart, Germany, music for "Love Divine."

Today in Hymn History. May 23

BORN: George Crawford Hugg, 1848 in Haddonfield, New Jersey, music for "There's Not a Friend."

BORN: Williams Oscar Perkins, 1831 in Stockbridge, New York, music for "Did You Think to Pray?" and "Here We Are but Straying Pilgrims (Yonder over the rolling river)."

Today in Hymn History. May 24

DIED: Benjamin Carr, 1831 age 62 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, wrote the music for "When This Passing World Is Done."

BORN: Emily Devine Wilson, 1865 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, music for "When We All Get to Heaven."

Today in Hymn History. May 26

BORN: Francis Bottome in Bel­per, Der­by­shire in 1823, wrote "O Spread the Tidings Round."

BORN: William Hunter, 1811 in Ballymoney, Northern Ireland, UK, wrote "The Great Physician."

BORN: Hans Georg Nägeli, 1773 in Wetz­i­kon, Switz­er­land, music for "Blest Be the Tie."