NCAA Rules - or Lack there of

Lobo97

How this continues to be allowed, is beyond me. This is the second consecutive year we've heard about something like this. 

Texas backup quarterback Maalik Murphy shined in the Longhorns’ spring game. The former blue-chip prospect from the 2022 recruiting class showed off his high-level talent, completing 9-of-13 passes for 165 yards and a touchdown.

Murphy’s spring game performance caught the attention of many around the country. 247Sports reports multiple Power Five programs contacted Murphy about a possible transfer before the spring deadline.

“Even before the spring game there were people trying to reach out,” a source close to Murphy said. “All the write-ups you end up seeing, everything is about Arch. You start seeing all that and you kind of forget about Maalik, and where are his opportunities? So, there were a lot of people trying to see if there was a chance to love him up a little bit.”

In the new era of college football with the transfer portal and NIL, holding on to a backup quarterback as talented as Murphy is extremely difficult. However, Steve Sarkisian credits the culture around the Texas program with helping the Longhorns keep Murphy out of the portal.

The importance of having quality depth in the quarterback room can not be overstated.

1 hour ago, Mojo1000 said:

Considering the hype and fanfare it kinda remarkable that Texas kept all three quality Quarterbacks. This team maybe potentially really good. 

I think they have the potential, but I'm just focusing on rules that programs continue to get away with breaking. 

This one was with Texas. 

It also happened to Texas last year, with Xavier Worthy.

Georgia Tech also claimed the same thing happened with Jordan Addison. 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I think they have the potential, but I'm just focusing on rules that programs continue to get away with breaking. 

This one was with Texas. 

It also happened to Texas last year, with Xavier Worthy.

Georgia Tech also claimed the same thing happened with Jordan Addison. 

I get what you’re saying but says lot about him staying at Texas. 

I think the transfer portal is needed for the following reasons:

1) a kid isn’t happy with his situation.

2) coaching change at either the head or position coach.

3) family issue cause the player to be closer to home.

4) revocation of scholarship by school (i.e. Prime Time)

However, I think some of the tampering issues could be alleviated by requiring the athlete to sit out a year (with or without a loss of a tear of eligibility). If a school pulled a scholarship, the player would be immediately eligible. A school would have to decide if they want to burn a scholarship for a “bench player”.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bordertown said:

I think the transfer portal is needed for the following reasons:

1) a kid isn’t happy with his situation.

2) coaching change at either the head or position coach.

3) family issue cause the player to be closer to home.

4) revocation of scholarship by school (i.e. Prime Time)

However, I think some of the tampering issues could be alleviated by requiring the athlete to sit out a year (with or without a loss of a tear of eligibility). If a school pulled a scholarship, the player would be immediately eligible. A school would have to decide if they want to burn a scholarship for a “bench player”.

I think if a program is caught tampering, the penalty should be more severe than simply a lost scholarship. Perhaps, a postseason ban. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I think if a program is caught tampering, the penalty should be more severe than simply a lost scholarship. Perhaps, a postseason ban. 

It's clearly happening. 

Heck, remember when Deion was hired at CU and said his son was going to be the starter there? 

Technically that violated TONS of rules- his son was not at CU. Nor was he in the portal. But what is the NCAA going to do? They're cowards who are getting steamrolled by everything and everyone short of a team committing big felonies. LSU's basketball coach literally got caught by the FBI violating rules and nothing happened. 

They don't want to lay the law down on anyone. They know that they're one pissed off program away from teams/conferences breaking away. 

• Like 2

This isn't hard...  all it takes is some basic common-sense guardrails. 

• All players get one grad transfer and one "coaching" transfer (if your coach leaves, you can too).
  • Have designated times when the Portal opens and closes. (closed prior to Spring practices, open after post-season)
  • Players cannot opt-out of games. If you voluntarily do not play, you lose scholarship/team membership.