🟠 Aledo Bearcats football 2023

Sportsfanatic1

2 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

That would be a huge jump.  They just went D1 recently right?

I mean, we've seen schools skip from 5A D2 to 6A altogether before in one realignment.

North Forney and Royse City come to mind.

Besides all of that, Aledo has 2,227 now as I type. 8th-11th, they have 2,288...and I'm sure growth will put that number above 2,300. 

6A cutoff is 2,225. It was 2,220 before that...

18 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I mean, we've seen schools skip from 5A D2 to 6A altogether before in one realignment.

North Forney and Royse City come to mind.

Besides all of that, Aledo has 2,227 now as I type. 8th-11th, they have 2,288...and I'm sure growth will put that number above 2,300. 

6A cutoff is 2,225. It was 2,220 before that...

I guess It’s only a matter of time.  Especially with the new development going up in Dean Ranch.  Morningstar phase 2 completing going into phase 3, Walsh about to do the phase 3 on the ft worth side that is supposed to be annexed in and Bear Creek continually growing.  There is also supposed to be a new country club community being built at the corner of Bear Creek and Kelly Rd.

8 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

I guess It’s only a matter of time.  Especially with the new development going up in Dean Ranch.  Morningstar phase 2 completing going into phase 3, Walsh about to do the phase 3 on the ft worth side that is supposed to be annexed in and Bear Creek continually growing.  There is also supposed to be a new country club community being built at the corner of Bear Creek and Kelly Rd.

Honestly I would like to see Aledo go 6A next realignment. We are going to split schools soon enough. Might as well give it a good go in 6A before that happens. I think the sophomores and freshman could make some noise at the highest level. 

On 12/30/2022 at 9:05 AM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yep, Aledo and Buchanan are great, but best coach in Texas = Scott Surratt. 

I got no dog in this fight both Coaches are exceptional.  But I got to give the nod to Coach Buck on this one.  He has been producing at the highest level for a much longer period of time.

2 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

I got no dog in this fight both Coaches are exceptional.  But I got to give the nod to Coach Buck on this one.  He has been producing at the highest level for a much longer period of time.

That's because he has been coaching alot longer than Stuart. Stuart years of coaching plus his championships percentage is alot higher than Buchanan and years of coaching and championships. Stuart already has more state championships than Buchanan. 

On 5/10/2023 at 3:50 PM, VonG said:

That's because he has been coaching alot longer than Stuart. Stuart years of coaching plus his championships percentage is alot higher than Buchanan and years of coaching and championships. Stuart already has more state championships than Buchanan. 

It is shocking that I have to point this out but doing something at a high level for a long period of time counts for something.    Also Buck has done it at a higher level.  That counts for something too.  Finally, who exactly is this "Stuart" you speak of? I am not aware of this person who sits in Zeus' chair at the pantheon of Texas HS coaches.

Edited by BillyClydePuckett
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

It is shocking that I have to point this out but doing something at a high level for a long period of time counts for something.    Also Buck has done it at a higher level.  That counts for something too.  Finally, who exactly is this "Stuart" you speak of? I am not aware of this person who sits in Zeus' chair at the pantheon of Texas HS coaches.

Oh damn I misspelled his name. Surratt. 

Everyone doesn't start coaching at the same time. So yeah he has more all time regular season wins than Surratt. If you didn't know who either coach was and we conducted a survey. Coach A won such and such championships in this many years. Coach B won more championships in half the time as being a head coach. Who do you think people would say is the best coach? That's just my take on it. 

Lastly I don't get into what division you are in to determine if you are the better coach. It doesn't matter if it's 6a, 5a, 4a or etc. You can only win in the division you are placed in. So if someone won more championships in 2a than any other coach in the division they are in. I'm say the 2a coach is the best.

2 hours ago, VonG said:

Oh damn I misspelled his name. Surratt. 

Everyone doesn't start coaching at the same time. So yeah he has more all time regular season wins than Surratt. If you didn't know who either coach was and we conducted a survey. Coach A won such and such championships in this many years. Coach B won more championships in half the time as being a head coach. Who do you think people would say is the best coach? That's just my take on it. 

Lastly I don't get into what division you are in to determine if you are the better coach. It doesn't matter if it's 6a, 5a, 4a or etc. You can only win in the division you are placed in. So if someone won more championships in 2a than any other coach in the division they are in. I'm say the 2a coach is the best.

Having Coached in everything from 2a-6a, IMHO it is harder to win the higher the level.  That is just my take on it.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

Having Coached in everything from 2a-6a, IMHO it is harder to win the higher the level.  That is just my take on it.  

I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from the smaller divisions. To win a State Championship is hard, I don't care what classification you're in. Winning state championships is a great achievement. Period. 

But...  there are reasons why we have classifications. Good reasons. 

There is not a single 2A state champion who would "opt up" into 3A, or a 3A champ who would opt-up into 4A... and so on, and so forth. Anyone who says different is lying to themselves. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day both are great Coaches. Idk Surratt but I know when you are talking about Coach Buc he is quick to acknowledge all the great assistant coaches he has learned from and worked with. For me, when people talk about Coach Buc they are really talking about a bunch of coaches! Having played for Coach Buc and Coach Wood (defensive coordinator), I couldnt have picked a better duo to learn football and life skills from.   

On 4/18/2023 at 8:18 AM, AledoAlumni said:

Couple of questions heading into next season:

2) Who will fill in on the defensive line? - If we can find some kids that can slow down/stop the run then we will be in a great position to repeat (if healthy).

Spring ball is just about over. Feeling better about the D-line. I do think we have a pair of sophomore DEs that will be really good players for the next couple of years. Now we just have to see if the DTs can hold up against the run. 

On 5/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, AledoAlumni said:

At the end of the day both are great Coaches. Idk Surratt but I know when you are talking about Coach Buc he is quick to acknowledge all the great assistant coaches he has learned from and worked with. For me, when people talk about Coach Buc they are really talking about a bunch of coaches! Having played for Coach Buc and Coach Wood (defensive coordinator), I couldnt have picked a better duo to learn football and life skills from.   

Coach Wood is one of the best defensive minds I ever worked against.  Heckuva a guy too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 8:18 AM, AledoAlumni said:

Couple of questions heading into next season:

4) Can our secondary turn into game changers? This could be one of the best secondaries Aledo has ever had. Return all four and the expectations should be high for this group.

On paper this is the most talented group of starters. Both CB have power 5 offers, SS has a D1 offer and FS has a D2 offer. But the question still remains if they will turn into a playmaking group. Week 1 they are going against a really good junior QB. 

Full Season Sophomore Highlights - Sawyer Anderson highlights - Hudl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 2013 team is the crème de la crème in Aledo football history. Offensively scoring 1,023 points, defensively allowing 147 points, and special teams were outstanding. Special teams stats: 132 extra points made, 13 of 15 field goals made, 8 punt/kick returns for a TD, and Aledo only punted 17 times. This is the most complete team Aledo has ever had. I bring up the 2013 team  because I believe this 2023 team has the potential to be another complete and extremely dominate team. First thing first, this district is more difficult than the Fort Worth district that the kids in 2013 played. So do I think they could match the numbers of 2013? No, I dont. However, when you think about the talent on this team, they could win all three phases in every game. 

Offense: The line returns four starters from the state championship game. They were a solid group that kept improving week after week. Hopefully they can take the next step and take over games, go from good to great. They will need to be consistent pass blockers and be nasty in the run game. If they can do their part then I have no doubt the skill kids are talented enough to score a lot of points. QB1 is a former WR that is an athletic kid. He is a legit dual threat player who started the season on shaky ground.  At times he would force the ball and make suboptimal decisions but that goes along with having a new starter at QB. Ultimately, he settled in and was very impressive. This season it will be interesting if he spreads the ball around and gets more pass catchers involved. We have several playmakers out wide that have great hands and can score. A very reliable and hard working TE, a super sophomore WR, former RB1 and explosive playmaker moving out wide, and a 6'3 kid returning from injury who was already making plays this spring. No reason why our passing game is not top notch. Now we can talk about the runners, two new kids to the Aledo program. Both ran for over 1k yards at their former school. I think both RBs will bring a tough running sytle and will be tone setters on offense. 

Hauss Hejny, 2024 QB - Szn Highlight - Hauss Hejny highlights - Hudl

Defense: It all starts up front with the DL. Admittedly, I do not know much about the DTs but I do have a good idea about the DEs. They will have two talented sophomores and a junior that will rotate. I do expect the sack numbers to increase from last season. The LBs will be lead by a LSU commit and multi-year starter on the defense. He creates turnovers and pair him with two new starters who are active players, I think this group can be a very good set of LBs. As I mentioned in a previous post, this secondary unit is the most talented group of starters (per college offers). Both CBs have power 5 offers, SS has a D1 offer and FS has a D2 offer. We have quality depth in the secondary and they should be rolling starting week 1. The biggest question will be, can they become game changers and create more turnovers? Not only intercept passes and recover fumbles but then go score. That was very evident when you watched the 2013 team. They had the ability to put points on the board. The 2023 defense as a whole is talented enough to score points and be suffocating but they have to prove it. Last year the defense gave up 261 points, I'd bet the under this season. 

Junior SZN - Davhon Keys highlights - Hudl

Special teams: This is where I think the biggest difference will be between 2013 and 2023. The 2013 team scored 8 TDs on returns. I dont think 2023 will have near that success in the return game. They are solid but based off last year, they dont have a Ryan Newsome type playmaker. And thats ok. Solid special teams and winning field position late in the year makes a big difference. You always worry about the kicking game but it seems like Aledo will have a good kicker this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent game vs parish. The D line rotation was like a fire drill! A lot of screens, and basic play calling. I’m sure we’ll see more vertical pass plays at Guyer this Friday. Should be a great game 

5 hours ago, ToddG said:

Excellent game vs parish. The D line rotation was like a fire drill! A lot of screens, and basic play calling. I’m sure we’ll see more vertical pass plays at Guyer this Friday. Should be a great game 

We definitely were more horizonal in our passing game. Which I guess its ok but I would like us to attack downfield more like you mentioned. We got a ton of guys on the D-line rotating in. I'd guess thats just because of the heat but there wasnt a lot of drop off between the starters and backups. Honestly I dont know if that is a good or bad thing lol. The Guyer game will be on texanlive for those who have it. So far we are off to a good start. 

Edited by AledoAlumni

6 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

We definitely were more horizonal in our passing game. Which I guess its ok but I would like us to attack downfield more like you mentioned. We got a ton of guys on the D-line rotating in. I'd guess thats just because of the heat but there wasnt a lot of drop off between the starters and backups. Honestly I dont know if that is a good or bad thing lol. The Guyer game will be on texanlive for those who have it. So far we are off to a good start. 

I think they’re are trying to figure out the starting rotation, they were rolling 8 dudes every 2 plays. The screens won’t be as effective vs Guyer, tosses or stretch plays will get the back to the edge quicker vs a fast D. #11 has a heck of a stride..and 8 can throw the deep ball with touch and velocity, as well as any of the top QBs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mr. P locked this topic