Who will win this year's district title?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this year's district title?

• Chapel hill Bulldogs
    • Kilgore Bulldogs
    • Lindale Eagles
    • Jacksonville Indians
    • Palenstine Wildcats
    • Athens Hornets
    • Henderson Lions

1 hour ago, KildogDad said:

Shocked at Lindale's loss.

Expecting CH win and no surprise at the score. Those Dogs can put up some points.

Just glad Kilgore got the W and move on. That game was too close for too long.

Me too. I’m still perplexed at our play calling once we got up 14-0. Just don’t get it. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Jknight03 said:

looked like got over confident and then got behind and had to pass the ball and they have some ball hawks 

That was part of it. They do have a good defense. Surprised me. They’re stout. But we just got away from the power run game. Not sure why. This was as soon as we went up 14-0. But oh well. Solid season. Best of luck to our 9-4A cousins against 12-4A. We’re pulling for you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

That was part of it. They do have a good defense. Surprised me. They’re stout. But we just got away from the power run game. Not sure why. This was as soon as we went up 14-0. But oh well. Solid season. Best of luck to our 9-4A cousins against 12-4A. We’re pulling for you. 

I watched a lot of the game film.  I think the coaches realized that 14 wasn’t going to be enough to win and I think they also realized that the typical Lindale run game wasn’t going to be able to keep up, so they tried to mix it up and get another 7.

Your odds of winning increase by 71% when  you go up at least 21-0.

1 hour ago, LetsGoEagles said:

The reason they went away from the power run was because they were getting smashed every time. I don’t think it was Lindale making bad play calls as much as it was IC just shutting us down. No matter what Lindale did it didn’t work. The first drive we were able to move the ball and then the next pass for a td caught them off guard but they figured it out real quick and that’s all she wrote. I will say the pass to Ward for a td was beautiful. Ward will be a force next year. Tough for the season to end but it was to who could very well be the state champ. I don’t see CH getting past them and if Kilgore gets past Needville it will be an absolute beast of a game against IC in the regional game

32 minutes ago, Jakeelee05 said:

The reason they went away from the power run was because they were getting smashed every time. I don’t think it was Lindale making bad play calls as much as it was IC just shutting us down. No matter what Lindale did it didn’t work. The first drive we were able to move the ball and then the next pass for a td caught them off guard but they figured it out real quick and that’s all she wrote. I will say the pass to Ward for a td was beautiful. Ward will be a force next year. Tough for the season to end but it was to who could very well be the state champ. I don’t see CH getting past them and if Kilgore gets past Needville it will be an absolute beast of a game against IC in the regional game

I can't see Chapel Hill getting by Iowa Colony either, nor do I see Needville getting by Kilgore. But you never know what will happen in the playoffs. A very wise football coach once told me.... "ain't no turkeys left after Thanksgiving". 

Edited by Aggie98
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jakeelee05 said:

That’s what people have been saying for 3 years about CH.

I believe if Lindale, Kilgore or CH had played IC schedule they would be undefeated as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aggie98 said:

I can't see Chapel Hill getting by Iowa Colony either, nor do I see Needville getting by Kilgore. But you never know what will happen in the playoffs. A very wise football coach once told me.... "ain't no turkeys left after Thanksgiving". 

I fully expect to be headed to a rematch at rose stadium next week.  I also fully expect the winner of that game to win the SC this year.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, Stankylegg said:

That’s what people have been saying for 3 years about CH.

I believe if Lindale, Kilgore or CH had played IC schedule they would be undefeated as well.

iowa colonys  

Players to watch: RB/DB Jacody Miles (5-7, 165, 4.6), Antoine Martin (6-1, 175, 4.4), DL/TE Chris Johnson (6-3, 245, 4.8), OL Jayden Simmons (6-5, 315, 5.6), LB Haydon Caston (6-1, 180, 4.4), LB Treshaun O’Neal (6-0, 190, 4.6). Top juniors: QB/DB Kamal Henry (6-1, 185, 4.5), DL/LB Bruce Robinson (6-1, 210, 4.8). Top sophomore: RB Eric Mosley (5-11, 185, 4.5).

On 11/18/2023 at 7:58 PM, Jakeelee05 said:

I mildly disagree. I truly don’t want to take anything away from IC and their defense. They’re good. No doubt. But our play calling went to crazy town after we went up 14-0 and they scored to cut it to 14-7. We started trying to beat them to the outside corner - that’s not happening for us. In addition, rather than lining up in what I will refer to the TCH formation, which was tight formation with an H-back or double H-back and only 1 WR. 6 lineman, we stayed spread with 5 lineman and tried to run power out of that. It didn’t work. IC’s secondary good to cover us 1 on 1 all day. So that allowed them to rush 7. They gang tackle and swarm the ball. Well coached and they don’t get nervous and make knucklehead penalties when they get behind. That’s huge. They also made a great adjustment after we went up 14-0 and we didn’t adjust after that. But it was more than just weird play calling. It was a lot of things. Just a bad game. And Ic was a big reason for that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I mildly disagree. I truly don’t want to take anything away from IC and their defense. They’re good. No doubt. But our play calling went to crazy town after we went up 14-0 and they scored to cut it to 14-7. We started trying to beat them to the outside corner - that’s not happening for us. In addition, rather than lining up in what I will refer to the TCH formation, which was tight formation with an H-back or double H-back and only 1 WR. 6 lineman, we stayed spread with 5 lineman and tried to run power out of that. It didn’t work. IC’s secondary good to cover us 1 on 1 all day. So that allowed them to rush 7. They gang tackle and swarm the ball. Well coached and they don’t get nervous and make knucklehead penalties when they get behind. That’s huge. They also made a great adjustment after we went up 14-0 and we didn’t adjust after that. But it was more than just weird play calling. It was a lot of things. Just a bad game. And Ic was a big reason for that. 

If a team runs a 3-4 with quick outside linebackers plus they know the QB is the primary running threat. He's already receiving the snap 5-6 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  Probably not gonna work well facing a decent defense. You gotta have an H back or tight end helping block. Just my opinion listening to your analysis. Of course I'm no coach and wasn't at the game......BTW I really hated that "TCH formation" 😅

Edited by CHDog77
  • LOL! 1

16 hours ago, CHDog77 said:

If a team runs a 3-4 with quick outside linebackers plus they know the QB is the primary running threat. He's already receiving the snap 5-6 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  Probably not gonna work well facing a decent defense. You gotta have an H back or tight end helping block. Just my opinion listening to your analysis. Of course I'm no coach and wasn't at the game......BTW I really hated that "TCH formation" 😅

Two weeks into the postseason has done nothing to dull the Iowa Colony Pioneers’ resolve to bounce back from a shaky start.

While the Pioneers fell behind by a pair of touchdowns just six-and-a half minutes into last week’s area playoff match-up with Lindale in Bryan, Ray Garza’s squad once again reached back for its trademark resiliency, paving the way for a 45-22 triumph over Lindale at Merrill Green Stadium.

A good tool to possess to be sure, but also one the second-year head coach would prefer for his 12-0 team to use a little earlier, starting with their Class 4A Division I Regional Semifinal Football contest with Tyler Chapel Hill, Nov. 24 at Woodforest Bank Stadium in Shenandoah at 7 p.m.

The Bulldogs, who play in the same district (9-4A D-1) as Lindale, upended El Campo, 54-18 in their area playoff game last weekend.

“We really talked to the kids (during the first day of practice on Monday) about not wanting to start slow and avoid putting ourselves in a hole,” Garza said. “We’re pointing towards week 16 and the key to that is starting strong and avoiding the mistakes that can cost you in the long run.”

The Pioneers’ week 13 meeting comes against a Bulldogs’ squad, who mirrors Iowa Colony in explosiveness. Quarterback Demetrius Brisbon has passed for 1,664 yards and 23 touchdowns, while adding 1,194 yards on the ground and eight scores. Ricky Stewart has also delivered a big year on the ground for Chapel Hill with 2,234 yards and 34 TD’s. Cameron Kelly has hauled in 30 receptions for 638 yards and nine TD’s, while Jayvin Mayfield has 28 catches for 455 yards and seven TD’s.

“They have a real dynamic offense with big play abilities at quarterback, running back and receiver,” Garza said. “Both their quarterback and running back are committed to SMU. They also have great speed on defense and their secondary is very good. There are definitely some similarities between them and us.

“Their running back (Stewart) can especially break loose at any time.”

Garza said his team had a productive first day of practice on Monday.

“We told them they earned the right to play during Thanksgiving week and not take it for granted,” he added. “They did a good the first day of practice and we want them to keep getting better tomorrow.”

After the Pioneers got into the early 14- first quarter hole against Lindale last week, quarterback Carson White immediately got Iowa Colony back on track with a 48-yard scoring run on the first play following the ensuing kickoff.

The freshman signal caller then hit Jacody Miles with a 29-yard TD pass to tie it at 14-14 early in the second quarter, while a 58-yard fling to Jacody Miles set up Joseph Mosley’s three-yard run for a 21-14 Iowa Colony lead at intermission.

White said the Pioneers’ first score provided a huge lift for both himself and the team following the near distastrous start.

“We were like we have been situations like this before,” said White, whose early interception led to Lindale’s second TD. “We just needed to do our business. I think our first touchdown boosted our energy, because I felt down after the pick.

“I bounced back, got myself right and took advantage of the opportunity.”

Iowa Colony continued on the same course to open the second half with Miles’s 17-yard scoring run capping a five-play, 68-yard march to make it 28-14 with 9:43 remaining in the third. The Pioneers’ secondary then came to the rescue following an Iowa Colony muffed punt with Jarvis Solomon intercepting a Clint Thurman throw near the goaline to thwart a Lindale scoring threat.

Chandler Love provided another IC pick a few minutes later to set up Cruz’s 23-yard field goal to increase the margin to 31-14 with 10:56 left in the contest.

The Eagles immediately threatened to make it a game of it again on their next possession with Clint Thurman’s 83-yard TD pass to Ward and two-conversion toss to Aiden Warnell to cut the gap to 31-22. After forcing Iowa Colony to a quick three-and-out, Lindale then got a first down at the Pioneers’ 45-yard line on a defensive pass interference call.

However, the Pioneers’ defense came up with a clutch sack on second down and following Thurman’s six-yard completion to Ward and fourth down incompletion, Iowa Colony took over on downs with 6:25 remaining and began putting the finishing touches on the second round victory with 32 and 27-yard TD dashes by Aaron Tenner.

Tenner’s  second score was set up by Bruce Robinson’s interception.

The Pioneers intercepted Thurman four times during the evening, raising their total to an amazing 31 picks for the season.

The formations with the Hback hovering behind the tackle are relevant against Iowa Colony's defensive front. Needville hammered them using a backside trap along with the strongside H-back blocking down inside on interior power runs for much of the game. They were shoving 5 blockers quickly between the 3 and 4 holes and the RB was popping through the traffic and into the open straight up the middle of the field.

IC did eventually adjust and started crashing hard behind the trapping lineman with the OLBs and making plays in the backfield. That wasn't really until the 4th quarter. It'll be interesting to see if TCH has some similar looks and what wrinkles they add to account for IC's adjustments.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TCUdad said:

The formations with the Hback hovering behind the tackle are relevant against Iowa Colony's defensive front. Needville hammered them using a backside trap along with the strongside H-back blocking down inside on interior power runs for much of the game. They were shoving 5 blockers quickly between the 3 and 4 holes and the RB was popping through the traffic and into the open straight up the middle of the field.

IC did eventually adjust and started crashing hard behind the trapping lineman with the OLBs and making plays in the backfield. That wasn't really until the 4th quarter. It'll be interesting to see if TCH has some similar looks and what wrinkles they add to account for IC's adjustments.

We tried to play spread power ball with them! ..... SMH 

• Confused 1

On 11/22/2023 at 11:38 AM, LetsGoEagles said:

We tried to play spread power ball with them! ..... SMH 

Lindale had the athletes/size to close out that game.  I don’t think the coaches showed enough trust in doing what they are good at.  It seems to me they got worried about ICs speed and thought they would counter that with trying to spread their speed out across the field.  You are correct in that IC can single up their coverage on a team like Lindale, so the numbers didn’t work out in the box.

• Like 1