Dirty or Smart Play By McAmey

Stoney

Looks dirty to me. Some are saying smart because of some rule of batter interference being out of the box. Apparently catcher did this twice. Once hitting the batter. Second time missing her.

Completely dirty and on purpose. There is zero reaction of the catcher. If this was an accident she would have had that "oh crap" moment, where shoulders shrug and core tightens. Other factors: no one is covering 3rd, no one is attempting to steal 3rd. Bad, bad, bad. 

Edited by StaphClown
  • Like 1

At first I was trying to give the catcher the benefit of the doubt because the runner at second did a hard lead off like she was going to third and the catcher had to get a snap throw off BUT the angles are all wrong. No way she was even throwing toward third base. The crazy thing is that it is really a dumb play. If the batter ducks the ball goes to left field and a run scores.

The second part of this discussion should be about the umpire. The same thing happened earlier in the game so the ump had to be looking for it but no action taken??? Really? The second time it happened it should have brought ejections for the catcher and coach. Only way to stop nonsense like this from happening.

Two other schools say that it also happened when they played against McCamey... 

Texas high school softball catcher under investigation after appearing to intentionally throw at batter's head | Fox News

"Two other schools may have been subjected to similar experiences when they played against McCamey, according to a report from KAMR4."

....saw some really bad coaching/parenting during the years when my girls played league/travel/HS SB...

2 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

At first I was trying to give the catcher the benefit of the doubt because the runner at second did a hard lead off like she was going to third and the catcher had to get a snap throw off BUT the angles are all wrong. No way she was even throwing toward third base. The crazy thing is that it is really a dumb play. If the batter ducks the ball goes to left field and a run scores.

The second part of this discussion should be about the umpire. The same thing happened earlier in the game so the ump had to be looking for it but no action taken??? Really? The second time it happened it should have brought ejections for the catcher and coach. Only way to stop nonsense like this from happening.

This is no different from a football coach teaching his blockers to hold or cut block on every play because it’s only going to be called 6-8 times per game at the most. It’s totally violating the spirit of the rule. You’re correct. The second time she did it, catcher and coach should have been ejected. Teach your kids to pitch, hit, play defense and run bases better than the kids they compete against. If you can’t win doing that, find another career. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

This is no different from a football coach teaching his blockers to hold or cut block on every play because it’s only going to be called 6-8 times per game at the most. It’s totally violating the spirit of the rule. You’re correct. The second time she did it, catcher and coach should have been ejected. Teach your kids to pitch, hit, play defense and run bases better than the kids they compete against. If you can’t win doing that, find another career. 

Great post and exactly correct...as a side note, McCamey lost this game and eliminated from the playoffs!!

15 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

100%

Completely dirty and unnecessary. Coach and athletic department had better be ready to answer for this. I hope that the UIL steps in and does something. Deliberately hurting or attempting to cause harm to another CHILD and hiding behind a rule that is based on "interpretation" is BS. 

17 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I disagree with the cutting part.  Cutting is a legal block insinde the tackle box.  BUT, I see your point and it is valid.  I thought the situation was uncalled for and disgusting.

20 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

IDK about your football comment but yes this is terrible and the coach and catcher should of been ejected. At minimum the catcher and suspended if she was not a senior for multiple games next season since they lost. 

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

So what are your thoughts?  I am guessing the AD should get a 1 year ban, especially if he allowed that catcher to stay in the game after that incident.

4 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

So what are your thoughts?  I am guessing the AD should get a 1 year ban, especially if he allowed that catcher to stay in the game after that incident.

4 hours ago, Sportsjunkiee said:

I'm pretty sure I read that the AD is also the catcher's father

Interesting