Pilot Point open

Slickarick

12 minutes ago, ShoelessJoe said:

I think so, then later after he threatened to leave, so they made the 2 year offer.  But an earlier poster said PP would have a hard time getting an experienced AD after the posting of the “letter” and that this was just the tip of the iceberg as far as problems in PP.  Expect MANY more changes to come soon there, it’s not a good place to be coaching right now.  Which is a shame, with all the tradition they have there.

Got ya and you're right on the tradition part! The letter indicated that the coach got a 1 year deal in his first year because of his experience. There is no reason mentioned in the letter why the coach didn't get a 2 year contract after the initial year. In a time where we have a massive shortage and coaches leaving the profession in large numbers I don't understand how we treat people like this. If admin is unhappy with the situation, just be upfront and do it before early May. These decisions and more importantly how you treat people impact so many things from a coaches livelihood, the assistants on that staff, their families and the quality of the experience of the high school athlete. But, even with this that job will get applicants and someone is gonna take this job. Is the Supt a PP guy?

"Under the advice of the school attorney, we gave him a 1 year probationary contract" . That tells you what you need to know. No supt with any football sense extends the HFC coach for 1 year unless there is a problem. Either there is a HFC problem, or there is a lack of knowledge on how to run athletics by the supt. Since the supt wrote a letter, to defend himself, I'm betting its him. He wont last long with that school board.

Edited by coachingforfreeclothes

29 minutes ago, BigWhoop said:

Got ya and you're right on the tradition part! The letter indicated that the coach got a 1 year deal in his first year because of his experience. There is no reason mentioned in the letter why the coach didn't get a 2 year contract after the initial year. In a time where we have a massive shortage and coaches leaving the profession in large numbers I don't understand how we treat people like this. If admin is unhappy with the situation, just be upfront and do it before early May. These decisions and more importantly how you treat people impact so many things from a coaches livelihood, the assistants on that staff, their families and the quality of the experience of the high school athlete. But, even with this that job will get applicants and someone is gonna take this job. Is the Supt a PP guy?

The Sup is not a PP guy.  he was HS Principal for several years and got the big key ring three years ago.  Total yes man for the board.  He barely survived the Surgery to become an Administrator where they remove half your brain, both your balls, and your entire spine.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

Sounds like an admin problem but the coaching didn’t look too hot when we went and watched them last season.  It was just one game but we went and watched PP take on Bells, which was a good team but still a smaller school, and PP got their tails kicked all up and down the field on both sides of the ball.  No adjustments or anything from PP.   And they had some good looking athletes and plenty of size.  Just not much fight in them.

59 minutes ago, coachingforfreeclothes said:

"Under the advice of the school attorney, we gave him a 1 year probationary contract" . 

Sounds like something a totally gutless eunuch and neutered Superintendent would say.  Texas HS's hire many HFC's every year.  I wonder how many of the schools that hired new HC's did something like that on "advice of an attorney"?  I know how many do not.  That would be ALL of the schools that value the role that athletics serves the kids and have winning programs.  

• Like 1

The longer I read the letter the worse it got for the Supe and clearer for the coach. Most ADs and other admin I know are on a minimum 2 year contract that can continue to get renewed or dropped to 1 year if in trouble. Shows from the get go a lack of admin support and no comfort in time to get his program rolling. 

Last half of the letter is the Supe micromanaging. You've hired an AD let him do his job with his coaching staff. He sees more everyday than the Supe does regarding his program. Supe only knows what they hear down the grapevine.

"I was a coach"... words all current coaches hate to hear from an admin. Usually followed by micromanagement. 

Does not seem like this will lead to stability for these kids. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

"I was a coach"...

I worked for numerous former Coaches who became Administrators.  With only one one or two exceptions when you checked out their coaching record they could not cut it as a coach that is why they went into Admin.  They were lousy Admin too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

I worked for numerous former Coaches who became Administrators.  With only one one or two exceptions when you checked out their coaching record they could not cut it as a coach that is why they went into Admin.  They were lousy Admin too.

I've worked for some good ones. The good ones don't have to justify their actions with "I was a coach" their actions reflected what made them good coaches and good admin.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

I haven now worked for 5 and its almost an even split amongst good and bad.  

He barely survived the Surgery to become an Administrator where they remove half your brain, both your balls, and your entire spine.

This explains the bad ones to a tee.  They are the worst administrators on earth.  Cowards to the core once they get the sport coat.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dogs3505 said:

I haven now worked for 5 and its almost an even split amongst good and bad.  

He barely survived the Surgery to become an Administrator where they remove half your brain, both your balls, and your entire spine.

This explains the bad ones to a tee.  They are the worst administrators on earth.  Cowards to the core once they get the sport coat.

would also like to point out that its usually the same coaches that when they were carrying the whistle they were the ones complaining about the principal and administrative goings on.  I get that its different on the other side of it but that doesnt mean you have to put your testicular fortitude on the shelf.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

Wow!!! So basically it boils down to:

1. PP not offering him a multi-year deal until he threatened to quit (if you believe the admin)

2. Admin. refusing to hire who the AD wanted to hire.

3. AD wanting to have control over all the athletic departments and admin. refusing to go along with it.

4. Admin. telling the AD who to hire for the head girls track coach because she was popular with the parents (and I am betting that's who admin. wanted to make the girls AD in the first place)...but that's just me reading between the lines and knowing how admins think!!! 

I would say that there are probably more problems that aren't specifically mentioned in this official letter!!! And I would bet most of the flack is coming from the girls side parents who want their choice to be the girls AD...and again...that's just reading between the lines and many years of experience speaking!! 

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to get upset with having a Girls Sports Athletic Coordinator.

It really takes a lot of pressure off the AD, and as long as everyone is working together for the betterment of the overall program, then it should be a great situation.

Takes a lot of pressure and work off of the Athletic Director.

To quit a job over that is completely unfathomable. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to get upset with having a Girls Sports Athletic Coordinator.

It really takes a lot of pressure off the AD, and as long as everyone is working together for the betterment of the overall program, then it should be a great situation.

You do me a favor and go down the list of the very best 3A programs in the state of Texas who are successful in everything and let me know how many go that route.  At the same time I will make a list of all the loser programs that insist on a Girls "Coordintator" who win in little if anything.  For every school you find I can  find twenty.  And there are VERY few AD's that will have their choice of coaching hires rejected who will not resign immediately.   FOR ANY AD to stick around when the Sup / Board have zero clue about chain of command is really completely unfathomable to anyone in the profession.

Also in most cases in a 3A school only one person coaches one sport.  That is the AD.  IF you add a girls cood. then that person will also coch one sport. because they are now an Administrator,  3A schools need another Admin like they need a hole in their head.  Not to even mention you now have to come up with anpther coach which usually means a coach has to pick up a FOURTH sport,

Edited by BillyClydePuckett
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I didn't say that was the ONLY reason he left. If you read the letter there are several red flags along the way...and it might be WHO the administrator wanted to place in that position more than the position itself!! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

I didn't say that was the ONLY reason he left. If you read the letter there are several red flags along the way...and it might be WHO the administrator wanted to place in that position more than the position itself!! 

I just heard back from a couple of sources.  That is exactly what it was.  The girl athlete parents told the Sup who they wanted and the Sup told the  former HC his pick was not going to get hired.

• Like 1

Just now, BillyClydePuckett said:

I just heard back from a couple of sources.  That is exactly what it was.  The girl athlete parents told the Sup who they wanted and the Sup told the  former HC his pick was not going to get hired.

Wow!!! What HFC/AD would ever want to take that job.  As long as the supt is in the ear of the parents or board, PP will be a cluster.  What a shame!

1 minute ago, coachingforfreeclothes said:

I have been at several 3a schools that had a girls coor. They coordinated and suggested girl hires to AD/HFC. The AD was their boss. I know PP had girls coordinators for many years prior to Danny David. I think it was WHO, and how, not just the position. 

95% of problems that an AD deals with are from girls athletics.

I would want a girl's coordinator if I was an AD.

I would want a girls coordinator of MY choosing.  I have to trust this person not to stab me in the back.  It shouldnt be up to the Sup and parents who it is because that cuts me out of the loop, thus endangering my job.  I know a girls coordinator makes things better but that doesnt mean that they get the same job abilities as me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

You know BCP, you and I both have been in this business long enough to read between the lines...or decipher admins BS...however one wants to phrase it...pretty well!! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

You do me a favor and go down the list of the very best 3A programs in the state of Texas who are successful in everything and let me know how many go that route.  At the same time I will make a list of all the loser programs that insist on a Girls "Coordintator" who win in little if anything.  For every school you find I can  find twenty.  And there are VERY few AD's that will have their choice of coaching hires rejected who will not resign immediately.   FOR ANY AD to stick around when the Sup / Board have zero clue about chain of command is really completely unfathomable to anyone in the profession.

Also in most cases in a 3A school only one person coaches one sport.  That is the AD.  IF you add a girls cood. then that person will also coch one sport. because they are now an Administrator,  3A schools need another Admin like they need a hole in their head.  Not to even mention you now have to come up with anpther coach which usually means a coach has to pick up a FOURTH sport,

truth

• Like 1

Pilot Point is getting soccer this coming school year, therefore football and any winter sports are fixing to take a back seat.  Pilot Point is 3A and will be playing in 4A districts, won't be a pretty sight for them until they get 4A numbers.  I can understand why Peacock would run away from this position.  He is a Pilot Point native and he even doesn't agree with the future of the athletic program there.  Scary days ahead for a once powerhouse football team for sure.

• Like 1