🐺 Longview Lobos football 2023

Lion7000

7 hours ago, ANTI said:

Playing OL or DL at Longview is some of the toughest training that any player would endure.

You had better be thick skinned and able to take constructive criticism, because King and Berry are going to push you beyond limits.

Forget college, King has put multiple trench guys in the league. 

I go to church with a family who lives outside of town that moved their kids to Longview for academic reasons. The youngest son looks to be a line prospect. I tried to explain to the dad how hard it is to play line for King. Dude said he'd rather his son be benchwarmer for King than be a star for a smaller program. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mr. P said:

I go to church with a family who lives outside of town that moved their kids to Longview for academic reasons. The youngest son looks to be a line prospect. I tried to explain to the dad how hard it is to play line for King. Dude said he'd rather his son be benchwarmer for King than be a star for a smaller program. 

I've heard other people say the same exact thing. But, one of the parents (and their child graduated years ago) said King was just as hard on the guys that never played as the starters. Kept them accountable and the parents loved that. To each their own. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I'm not sure about Carthage, but I do think a lot of the success of Longview's RBs is owed to Coach King's background as an offensive lineman and OL coach. Yes, I'm biased as a lineman that blocked for Vondrell McGee and Chris Ivory. And yes, Longview has had some absolutely incredible athletes at the RB position over the years (it makes me a little sad for Williams and Anderson in 2018 that they were overshadowed by the insane season Haynes and Perry had). But Longview, under King, has always executed at the offensive line position. He coaches that unit very hard.

Yea Longview has always had studs at the RB position. Multiple guys in the league. But you and ANTI pointed out Longview consistently has some of the best trench play in the state. Putting guys in the league. The GOAT played for King at Longview. King was at the draft with him if I’m not mistaken.

Given King’s background, I think it’s safe to say a lot of the RB success Longview has had was because King and his staff put so much emphasis on line play and they are so good at coaching it. That’s obvious.

But Longview has had some dudes come thru there at the RB position. Like ANTI said about the line, same can be said about the RB position. Forget about putting guys D1, they are putting guys in the league. But I guess you can say that about a lot of positions at Longview. Amazing how many guys they have put in the league.

As for Carthage they have also always had good line play even during the Pre-Surratt era. Sleepy always had a good OL. And they almost always had a stud RB. Some big names have come thru Carthage as far as HS studs. Some legendary ETX guys that some of the older posters will recognize. So yes Carthage has amazing line play during Surratts tenure. Besides QB play I think the OL and DL play has been the 2nd most important factor in Surratt’s run at Carthage. But the Carthage RB’s pre-date Surratt by a lot of years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

As they should. Why wouldn’t people from Longview want their kids playing for anybody else besides King. Benchwarmer or not? Those benchwarmers are a big part of programs. Scout team guys have a big part in a programs success.

But I don’t know about being a “star” at another or gram. Unless we are taking about 2a or 3a DII level. If a kid can’t even start at Longview, doubt he can find many places to go where he wound be considered a “star”. Maybe their are different opinion on what star is.

As far as parents wanting their kids to play for certain coach’s I would hope that has a lot more to do with how the coach teaches the kids and what life lessons are taught, rather than success in wins and losses. A lot of coaches in ETX that are great men and excellent teachers might not have the most wins every year, but you would still want your kids learning from them. Don’t get me wrong winning and having those other attributes I mentioned would be the goal, but there is only a handful of guys who do can do both at a high level, and we all consider those guys elite. Obviously all the area kids cannot play at the same 3-4 schools with those kind of coaches. So you have to pick which one you would choose. I hope parents would choose the coach that’s going to make their sons a better young man over the coach that is going to put winning above everything else, treats people badly and is not a good role model in the process of getting those wins.

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks King is not a good football coach is not a serious person.   Usually folks that are critical of the Coach King's of the world think that just because they are smart enough to know "what would have worked" AFTER a play qualifies them to be a football expert.  Pro Tip:  The only thing it qualifies them to be is one of the clowns that gets out of the little bitty car at the circus.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

Anyone who thinks King is not a good football coach is not a serious person.   Usually folks that are critical of the Coach King's of the world think that just because they are smart enough to know "what would have worked" AFTER a play qualifies them to be a football expert.  Pro Tip:  The only thing it qualifies them to be is one of the clowns that gets out of the little bitty car at the circus.

I don't think anyone thinks King is not a good, even great football coach. They'd be crazy to think that. 

I do think people disagree with some of his decisions over the past 2 decades. And I think he'd be the first to tell you that he isn't perfect and he'd be the first to tell you that he's made wrong decisions along the way. Heck, after WINNING a semifinal game against Tascosa (a week before winning state), he was really down on himself for being too conservative and letting Tascosa make it close. 

Ultimately, I think Longview is in a much better position with him than without him. I'm happy he won the state title he did. That was basically THE only thing he hadn't accomplished as head coach, and now he has. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

But our program’s culture is just so expectation driven, we expect to beat and win every team we come up against 97% of the time.

This has been the case since Collins arrived and before. It is just in the culture at Longview that winning is expected. You don't want to be the team/group that is remembered for breaking the winning tradition. King was telling us that his 1st and 2nd years at Longview under Collins. 

And when #1 Midland Lee came to play at Lobo in 2001, it was expected to be a victory. So was #2 nationally ranked Evangel the next 2 seasons. I remember it... It's crazy how in practice all week the idea of "#2 in the nation" was thrown around and the team was just expected to go out and outplay them. 

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

And I think he'd be the first to tell you that he isn't perfect and he'd be the first to tell you that he's made wrong decisions along the way. Heck, after WINNING a semifinal game against Tascosa (a week before winning state), he was really down on himself for being too conservative and letting Tascosa make it close. 

Came here to say this. There's literally no one on *any* message board who's as hard on King as he is on himself. Shoot, the dude practically roasts himself in post-game interviews, and that's usually after a WIN. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I’m ready to see him bring a title home first. Lol

If your coach had more creativity you’d have WAY more titles already.

Just the truth, don’t shoot the messenger.

And yes, I realize he’s best coach in Longview history, but that doesn’t make him the best coach out there. 

• Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If your coach had more creativity you’d have WAY more titles already.

Just the truth, don’t shoot the messenger.

And yes, I realize he’s best coach in Longview history, but that doesn’t make him the best coach out there. 

He's the most respected coach in east Texas. 

lol Pittsburg , Van Alstyne , Gilmer , PG, Glen Rose , Wimberley. 

Crosby, Lone Star , Port Arthur , Mansfield Timberview , Aledo . 

Surely you see the difference…LV lost to the state champion 17-14 in the last minute of the game. 

outside of Carthage (probably could beat Crosby and Lone Star , not so sure about the rest) none of the teams the dawgs played in the playoffs last year would have made it out of the first round in 5a. @HearEmaGrowlin

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WinstonsStolenCrabLegs said:

Spring Hill’s* Tatum 

Obvious trolling attempt is obvious, but going to an SH campus a couple of years doesn't make him a "Spring Hill kid." 

He's a Lobo legacy. Also played Lobo peewee sports. 

10 hours ago, hitemwheretheyaint said:

At Spring Hill he’d probably be playing in his 5th different offense before the first carry of his Sr year

Our baseball coach is a lot better than theirs too. 

7 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

One of these days we will figure out how to keep our kids from moving and maybe even attract some others from around.  One of these days.

One of my nephews started a Panther (K-9) but has since transferred out.

There are some cultural issues that need to be addressed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If your coach had more creativity you’d have WAY more titles already.- Backhanded comment to a historic program

Just the truth, don’t shoot the messenger.- Playing victim 

And yes, I realize he’s best coach in Longview history, but that doesn’t make him the best coach out there. -Oh look, another subtle attempt to bring up how great Carthage is! 

Pretty impressive how in 3 statements you can do so much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

Pretty impressive how in 3 statements you can do so much.

The Lobos always play deep into the playoffs. I just wish they developed their QB in lower levels. If can do both run and pass equally well. You end up with state championships. Aledo is a good example in the higher class. 
Carthage is the example in 4A. 
Lobos always has one of the top defenses in the state but you gotta pass to set up that bad to the bone run game.