Dave Campbell's Texas Football Update

MattStepp

The 64th edition of Dave Campbell's Texas Football went to press today at 4pm.
Subscribers should expect their magazines to arrive in the mail starting the week of June 19.
Magazines will be in retail outlets after July 4th.
We plan on also having a few copies out at the Texas State 7on7 Tournament in late June.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Prayers 1

On 5/28/2023 at 6:54 PM, MattStepp said:

I'm not supposed to reveal anything until June 5! 

Ashley Pickle did reveal on TFT that there will once again be a main cover and a gatefold cover.

Cover reveal is June 5 Noon on Texas Football Today!!! You can watch on Facebook, YouTube or Twitter

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Ashley Pickle did reveal on TFT that there will once again be a main cover and a gatefold cover.

Cover reveal is June 5 Noon on Texas Football Today!!! You can watch on Facebook, YouTube or Twitter

I bet TCU and Sonny Dykes are on one cover. 

3 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

What would you like to see added? 

You could just publish the Smoaky threads to your page!🤣

Seriously though, I think it would be very hard and labor intensive to do better than yall do right now.  It's a huge state.  Just getting all the info together about all the high school programs yall already do is a lot of work, I'm sure.  

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

You could just publish the Smoaky threads to your page!🤣

Seriously though, I think it would be very hard and labor intensive to do better than yall do right now.  It's a huge state.  Just getting all the info together about all the high school programs yall already do is a lot of work, I'm sure.  

I think people think of old magazines and see that schools write-ups were a lot longer, but there weren't the informational graphics on each page and there's simply a lot more schools covered as well...so the # of pages is larger dedicated to HS coverage but there's so many more schools now too 

3 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I think people think of old magazines and see that schools write-ups were a lot longer, but there weren't the informational graphics on each page and there's simply a lot more schools covered as well...so the # of pages is larger dedicated to HS coverage but there's so many more schools now too 

Yeah, and you have guys like us who focus on one team or one district or one area, who think you should know everything about every school that we follow.  It would take a lot of man power all over the state to get that kind of coverage for every high school in Texas.

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Yes, us old timers remember those expanded write ups for each school and more commentary and that was the "meat" of the magazine ... The evolution of the magazine has seems to have expanded into the college and pro sections and the high school section seems to have taken a back seat to the rest of the magazine. It's still a good magazine and everyone waits with baited breath for the annual arrival .... I'm just an old timer reminiscing .... lol 😆 

20 hours ago, MattStepp said:

What would you like to see added? 

I'm not sure what else you guys could add. I feel like it's such a great product, especially considering you guys feature EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the state to some degree. The rankings, the Divisional Cover Boys and feature stories, the year in review, the district breakdowns. That's a ton of work and I'm glad you guys put in the effort. Such a fun start to the summer, getting the magazine, even up here in Kansas City.

Having lived in several other states, I can assure you all, there is NOTHING in any other state, in terms of high school football coverage, that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as DCTF. Nothing.

17 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Yes, us old timers remember those expanded write ups for each school and more commentary and that was the "meat" of the magazine ... The evolution of the magazine has seems to have expanded into the college and pro sections and the high school section seems to have taken a back seat to the rest of the magazine. It's still a good magazine and everyone waits with baited breath for the annual arrival .... I'm just an old timer reminiscing .... lol 😆 

I definitely think in the days when there were only 750 schools playing football the write-ups could be longer...but there's double that amount now and from a cost standpoint its not feasible to do that in print....but the flexibility of the internet does allow the write-ups to be more extensive etc...

On 5/30/2023 at 1:12 PM, MattStepp said:

Did Pickle get reprimanded for revealing prior to June 5th? 😁