Crockett is open......

Crockett goes through phases like this where they'll have kids just up and transfer out.

I remember a time when they couldn't host basketball games at home with a certain rival just west of there because of how out of control the mob would get.

Good luck to whoever lands this one.

10 hours ago, Red90fly said:

I heard a few months ago kids were transferring to Lovelady and Latexo.

Latexo only gets a few that are not interested in football and girls that are interested in a better softball program...same for Kenard. LL probably gets the bulk of the transfers.

12 hours ago, Red90fly said:

I heard a few months ago kids were transferring to Lovelady and Latexo.

I heard kids were leaving to everywhere. It's a dumpster fire there for sure. 

Heard some names that Crockett was going to offer too. Wish them luck. Just gotta get past the parents/fans and supt. Biggest issue going on there. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, blackngoldtiger said:

I heard kids were leaving to everywhere. It's a dumpster fire there for sure. 

Heard some names that Crockett was going to offer too. Wish them luck. Just gotta get past the parents/fans and supt. Biggest issue going on there. 

Your absolutely correct the parents/fans/superintendent are the worst also the kids don't want to work or be disciplined.

• Like 1

Crockett has turned into a dumpster fire.   The school and the community.   It is going to be another Marlin.  Vast majority of those living there cannot afford to move anywhere else or old folks.  I have several friends that are from there and when they go home to visit family it disgusts them how far that town has fallen.

Growing up in and around Crockett and still have family living there, it is sad to see the shape of the town now. I remember right after high school I was working for one of the new businesses that had moved in and they projected Crockett to grow and to prosper. It has done just the opposite in the last 16 years. I go down and I don’t go around town anymore. It has dried up and the people just seem to accept it for the most part. 

I expect to see them fall even further down in population soon. It’s a shame

I live in Crockett and good people here. It’s not the CKT of old but new members of city council doing things and bringing businesses here. The school does need some help and Alton Dixon was a good man and coach. Wish Coach Dixon nothing but the best for him in his future endeavors.

there are some real issues here the transfer and dropout numbers are crazy nearing 150+ the dropout rate is what really jumps out at you and the parents of these kids just sit by and do nothing you would be shocked at the team ckt could field if they got the kids back in school.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:11 AM, thepit73 said:

I live in Crockett and good people here. It’s not the CKT of old but new members of city council doing things and bringing businesses here. The school does need some help and Alton Dixon was a good man and coach. Wish Coach Dixon nothing but the best for him in his future endeavors.

There are definitely still good people there. I know many and still talk with them.  Many of my family are still there.

The fact is that the businesses coming in, aren’t bringing enough jobs to bring back the town. It is nice to have some of these businesses and they are a step in the right direction, but with out any jobs other than the prison system and Walmart, Houston county’s two largest employers, the town will continue in decline. 

I don’t have the answers to this issue, but I think much of the problems stems from years of not being a business friendly town, and I just hope that it isn’t too little too late. I truly love the area but I would not move back in the current state, most likely. 

Plus property values are way too over priced for anyone who isn’t retired or well off to buy. Someone looking to come in and raise a family would be hard pressed to find reasonable real estate in the area. With no industry and no jobs I don’t see how the market is what it is. 

This all spills over into the school itself. 

My family has told me that the drop out rate is staggering. I was really surprised to hear it was as bad as it was. 

Edited by jacketgrad06

On 6/10/2023 at 12:11 AM, thepit73 said:

Coach Dixon is a great man. Any idea what happened? Where did he go?

18 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

There are definitely still good people there. I know many and still talk with them.  Many of my family are still there.

The fact is that the businesses coming in, aren’t bringing enough jobs to bring back the town. It is nice to have some of these businesses and they are a step in the right direction, but with out any jobs other than the prison system and Walmart, Houston county’s two largest employers, the town will continue in decline. 

I don’t have the answers to this issue, but I think much of the problems stems from years of not being a business friendly town, and I just hope that it isn’t too little too late. I truly love the area but I would not move back in the current state, most likely. 

Plus property values are way too over priced for anyone who isn’t retired or well off to buy. Someone looking to come in and raise a family would be hard pressed to find reasonable real estate in the area. With no industry and no jobs I don’t see how the market is what it is. 

This all spills over into the school itself. 

My family has told me that the drop out rate is staggering. I was really surprised to hear it was as bad as it was. 

with the amount of dropouts and transfers and kids that just go to other schools after the 8th grade they would be near d2 4a.