Tyler D1 SQT Saturday

MattStepp

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Was the same last year, just with College Station instead of Naaman Forest.

I was shocked with how poor Rockwall played against us last season. would suspect Whitehouse....as it always feels like has been against them in 7v7...will be our biggest hurdle.

Yep remember the schedule from last year. Guess they don’t mind being so obvious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sportsjunkiee said:

Is Longview hosting their 7v7 league on Monday nights like they have done the last few years?  If so, anyone know where to find a schedule or at least what time the games start? 

Yep, first matchups were this past Monday

Games will continue the next two Monday's.

6/12 schedule

5 PM 

Daingerfield vs Hallsville

Longview A vs Pine Tree

5:40 PM

Gilmer vs Kilgore

Longview B vs Daingerfield 

6:20 PM

Kilgore vs Longview A

Hallsville vs Pine Tree

7 PM

Gilmer vs Longview B

Pine Tree vs Daingerfield 

6/19 schedule 

5 PM

Center vs Pine Tree

Longview B vs Longview A

5:40 PM

Hallsville vs Gilmer

Kilgore vs Daingerfield 

6:20 PM

Longview A vs Center

Daingerfield vs Pine Tree

7 PM

Kilgore vs Gilmer

Hallsville vs Center

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I thought Carthage usually plays in that league. 

Carthage has never been in the Longview league. Think y'all play with Marshall.

Tatum is usually in our league. Not sure what happened this year.

4 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I thought Carthage usually plays in that league. 

Carthage is in a 7 on 7 league with Marshall, Elysian Fields, and Waskom. 

Henderson has participated intermittently some too.

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Chapel Hill looking good in the SMU 7on7 Thur night...playing Highland Park in the championship, dont be surprised if they make some noise Saturday playing up

they

Chapel Hill definitely has some good skill position players.

1 hour ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Probably because it’s not heavy passed based

Neither is Longview....or Marshall....or Lufkin.  All will be run-first teams this fall.

I see no downsides to increasing the number of snaps for your quarterback and his WR's get over the summer. 

There are lots of teams that aren't pass oriented that still participate in 7 on 7...with little or no expectations of making it to College Station.  It's not their game.

I'd be more concerned if I was an offense like Whitehouse, Mount Pleasant, or Hallsville....who IS pass oriented and their production in 7 on 7.

But to just not field a team seems an odd decision.  But I'm not a coach... so what do I know?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Probably because it’s not heavy passed based

💩 it better be. Tyler offensive line will not be opening up no wholes for the running backs to run through. They definitely will not be imposing there will on the opposing team defensive front.

1 hour ago, VonG said:

💩 it better be. Tyler offensive line will not be opening up no wholes for the running backs to run through. They definitely will not be imposing there will on the opposing team defensive front.

The crazy part is, QB is definitely important in Woods offense. He'll toss the rock.

It just won't all be on the QB to win games.

It's a little odd to just flat out not do it all....but maybe there's a bigger plan in place..Coach Woods knows what he's doing..

I will say I heard that several Tyler High kids showed up at Legacy 7on7 workouts wanting to play and were turned away....that's not great if true

Just looking at East TX teams...I did think Legacy looked much improved...QB was a lot more decisive throwing the ball...not a ton of depth but good front line talent.

Chapel Hill looked good early but just ran out of gas, playing 7 games Thur then coming back Sat is rough..

Marshall and Hallsville both had moments but 7on7 isnt their game so neither blew me away..

Longview let that first game vs Rockwall slip away....I think if the Lobos capitalize on some early Rockwall miscues they qualify for state...

Whitehouse looked decent in a really tough pool...

Mt Pleasant showed flashes and would have won the pool if not for a N Forney TD on the last play of the game

Lufkin is young, but very talented

Edited by MattStepp
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

It's a little odd to just flat out not do it all....but maybe there's a bigger plan in place..Coach Woods knows what he's doing..

I will say I heard that several Tyler High kids showed up at Legacy 7on7 workouts wanting to play and were turned away....that's not great if true

Just looking at East TX teams...I did think Legacy looked much improved...QB was a lot more decisive throwing the ball...not a ton of depth but good front line talent.

Chapel Hill looked good early but just ran out of gas, playing 7 games Thur then coming back Sat is rough..

Marshall and Hallsville both had moments but 7on7 isnt their game so neither blew me away..

Longview let that first game vs Rockwall slip away....I think if the Lobos capitalize on some early Rockwall miscues they qualify for state...

Whitehouse looked decent in a really tough pool...

Mt Pleasant showed flashes and would have won the pool if not for a N Forney TD on the last play of the game

Lufkin is young, but very talented

No one from JT went to Lee 7on7 workouts to play them. This was confirmed by a player on Lee's team.

Lee Qb play still leaves alot to be desired. Quite a few times Lee had recievers wide open and he looked them off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to Coach Woods this morning and basically he's not 100% against 7on7 (although he does wish his coaches could Coach it), but he chose not to play outside 7on7 because he wants the kids to learn the offense and get the foundation of the offense down before playing in league or tournaments.

I think we will see Tyler in some 7on7 next year at least in league play once they've had a year in the system...he definitely doesnt want to play 7on7 and run a 7on7 offense just for the sake of playing

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Talked to Coach Woods this morning and basically he's not 100% against 7on7 (although he does wish his coaches could Coach it), but he chose not to play outside 7on7 because he wants the kids to learn the offense and get the foundation of the offense down before playing in league or tournaments.

I think we will see Tyler in some 7on7 next year at least in league play once they've had a year in the system...he definitely doesnt want to play 7on7 and run a 7on7 offense just for the sake of playing

Which is something that I can fully understand. He’s goals are well put together, and he’s forcing on making sure that the offense is understood by all the players. 

There are many questions and unknowns about Coach Woods and his system.  All that's known is what he's ran at previous schools. Why let the cat out of the bag so soon and give teams something to prepare for? I think it's a wise decision.  We'll see how it turns out soon. 

• Like 1