1. 1. Who you got?

• Tyler in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Tyler in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

MARSHALL WEBPAGE:  https://www.marshallmavericks.net/  

GAMEDAY PAGE: https://www.marshallmavericks.net/gameday

I'll get the Gameday page completed this week (hopefully).  I've got all the historical stuff posted.  Just need to get the players to watch and match-ups updated.

-------------

Marshall is headed to Tyler to take on their oldest rival of all time.... The THS Lions.  Dating all the way back to 1908, one year before Marshall and Longview first tangled.

The rivalry stretched almost continuously from 1908 until 2002 when Marshall dropped to then called 4A.  It laid dormant until 2010 when Tyler briefly joined the 4A ranks for two seasons.  It fell silent again after the 2011 season until last year.

Entering last season.... The 5A Div II Mavs were a big underdog to the highly favored 5A Div I Tyler Lions.  Marshall was sporting a brand new coach with a brand new offense while Tyler was team loaded with D-1 talent and a long-time staff.

Many were predicting an easy blowout win for the Lions.

But the Mavs had other plans as the hybrid Wing-T offense of Jack Alvarez lit up the scoreboard all night in a shocking 40-29 Marshall win.  

Marshall went on to finish the regular season (6-4) and claim the #2 seed out of district 8-5A while Tyler had a disappointing (2-8) season.

Coach Alvarez enters his second season at the helm with many key peices returning for Marshall.  His Wing-T is expected to continue it's development while the Mav defense is looking to step up it's game from last season.

Tyler is welcoming a new coach in Rashaun Woods with another bevy of talent for the Lions.  THS is never short on football talent and 2023 appears to be more of the same.

I'll get more info posted in the coming days.  

It's August 1st.... seemed like a good time to start talking some football.

Tyler is short on football talent. That's why you have 2-8 seasons. Don't let a few kids with offers pump you up into believing JT has a stable of talent. Coach Holmes was great at selling his kids to these colleges to get scholarships. Alot of them were really not that good these last 4 or 5 years.

Edited by VonG

2 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

Well I will always have a homer pick. Let’s go Cujo!

Seeing that this coaching staff will have a week get ready for this offense with playing a team that runs a true WingT offense. 3-3-5 will be something new for this team. With TH being at home. It should make the players less nervous.

If Alvarez has the Marshall O and D lines playing to his standards, I honestly think this game will be similar to last year. While TH will take a step forward this year with the new coach, I think Marshall will be better. Going to be fun to watch.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

TBH I really don’t know. I’m gonna give rashaun woods a punchers chance give me Tyler by 10. Anything over that would be shocking. 

A punchers chance AND a double digit win?

wowzers. 

Seems I recall you predicting a blowout last season.

Marshall only had two losses over 7 points last season: Longview and Carthage. 

I’m expecting a close competitive game. 

Marshall will be better than they were last season.  Whatever that’s worth to you.

Offense will be much more diverse. Less dependent on one guy.  Spread it out to more guys.  More of a mix of run and pass.  

Defense should be much improved.  Lots of speed.  Secondary should be exponentially better. 

Question mark at the D line. Some young guys.   But they are coming from a JV that was 7-2. 

I’m interested to see how we do Vs Tyler Legacy in the scrimmage.  I’ll be watching the live stream  

That will give me a 👍🏼 or 👎🏻 vibe heading into this game. 

I’ll be in Cozumel Aug 18-24.  I’ll miss the scrimmage. But be back in time for kickoff! 

On 8/6/2023 at 3:25 PM, Mavchamp said:

A punchers chance AND a double digit win?

wowzers. 

Seems I recall you predicting a blowout last season.

Marshall only had two losses over 7 points last season: Longview and Carthage. 

I’m expecting a close competitive game. 

Yes people don’t understand how bad Holmes made this team look. They looked waaaayyyy worse than the talent cause that how bad of a coach he is. Marshall was better than us last year but they weren’t 20+ points better than us. That had all to do with coaching. 

13 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Yes people don’t understand how bad Holmes made this team look. They looked waaaayyyy worse than the talent cause that how bad of a coach he is. Marshall was better than us last year but they weren’t 20+ points better than us. That had all to do with coaching. 

Damn coaching was that bad.

• LOL! 1