What’s your teams biggest upset win?

dawgs.swarm

For Liberty Hill there are at least a dozen that come to mind where the masses didn't give them credit or much of a chance.  A few that jump out...

- 2018 semi-final win over Carthage, 44-41.  Nobody gave Liberty Hill a second thought.

- 2007 State championship over Gilmer, 38-13.  So much smack talk that week on Smokey from Gilmer fans and LH simply punched them in the mouth.

Believe it or not, there was a time when the Carthage Bulldogs didn’t score a single point in their first 4 games…but scored on a 90+ yard hook & ladder play in the last minute of their 5th game to upset the defending state champion Palestine Wildcats In Palestine. The year was 1965. 

Carthage had previously scored for the first time all year a few minutes earlier. The final score was 14-13 (or something close to that). The winning TD was scored by sophomore RB Pat Browning, who later was an Assistant Principal at CHS for many years.

San Augustine over Garrison in 2018 at the Regional game.  

Also San Augustine winning state against Jim Ned with Colt McCoy for the State Championship in 2003. Jim Ned was averaging over 60 points a game and was heavily favored going into the matchup. 

13 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

For Liberty Hill there are at least a dozen that come to mind where the masses didn't give them credit or much of a chance.  A few that jump out...

- 2018 semi-final win over Carthage, 44-41.  Nobody gave Liberty Hill a second thought.

- 2007 State championship over Gilmer, 38-13.  So much smack talk that week on Smokey from Gilmer fans and LH simply punched them in the mouth.

I was at the 2007 game.  Cold, cold, cold.  Wind blowing made it miserable.  And LH did punch Gilmer in the mouth.  One of the few times I saw a defense shut down the Gilmer offense.  

On 8/16/2023 at 1:43 PM, JR88 said:

Kilgore 1987, didn’t we beat preseason 5A #1 Longview to open the year?

Kilgore beat Longview 24-19 that year. I highly doubt Longview was ranked #1 in 5A to start the season that year. The newspaper article doesn't mention anything about it. 

Still, a monumental upset. 

On 8/17/2023 at 9:54 PM, CasualObserver70 said:

I was at the 2007 game.  Cold, cold, cold.  Wind blowing made it miserable.  And LH did punch Gilmer in the mouth.  One of the few times I saw a defense shut down the Gilmer offense.  

I wore shorts to that game lol.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:46 PM, trueblue82 said:

For Joaquin I’d have to say the 2019 second round playoff win over Alto at Abe Martin. They were 11-0 district champions and were rolling, then we lost our leading rusher to a broken collarbone late in the first quarter. They took a ten lead into the fourth quarter before we completed a 55 yard touchdown pass (only pass completion of the game for us) then got a stop and put together a go ahead touchdown drive. Great atmosphere and both teams left it all on the field. 

I got 2 for ya...

1. 2016 Alto at home.

2. 2009 Mt.E at home. Nobody expected us to be able to stop kevin pope. 68 rushing yards later we get the W 30-6.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:11 AM, JohnnyFootball said:

2002 Longview vs Evangel Christian (LA)

Evangel was ranked #2 in the nation led by QB John David Booty. Longview went up 7-0, 14-7, and 21-14 only to fall behind 28-21 in the 3rd quarter. A big 4th down stop, a well-executed screen pass, and an interception led to 10 4th quarter points and a game winning FG in the last few seconds. Evangel would stroll through the rest of their schedule. The next year, Longview would again beat Evangel when they were #2 in the nation, but that team was nowhere near the caliber of the 2002 team. De La Salle would smack that Evangel team and they lost in the state title game in 03. 

I remember watching that game. I lived in Waskom at the time and went to most of Evangel's interstate games against Texas teams.  Jacob Hester RB was on that Evangel team, he later played for LSU, the San Diego Chargers and Denver Broncos ... 5'11" 235 with speed, he was a load ....