Jump to content

4A D1 Most Impressive Week 1 performance


CSMike

Recommended Posts

If you had to pick one of the following 4A D1 programs as the most impressive performance for week 1, who would it be? and what did you like about them?

 

#1 China Spring 35-13 Over 3A D1 #6 Lorena

#8 Anna 37-30 over #5 Decatur

Oddly unranked Brownwood 35 - 21 over 5A Abilene Wylie (Brownwood coming off of a 3rd round playoff exit and Wylie off a 4th round playoff exit in 5A)

TCH 71 - 53 over 4A D2 #5 Gilmer

For me most impressive to least performance week 1 is:

1. Brownwood

2. Anna

3. China Spring

4. TCH

TCH's defense is concerning that's why I put them last. I was hoping for some improvement. If they try to outscore everyone it will be another semi-final exit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, CSMike said:

If you had to pick one of the following 4A D1 programs as the most impressive performance for week 1, who would it be? and what did you like about them?

 

#1 China Spring 35-13 Over 3A D1 #6 Lorena

#8 Anna 37-30 over #5 Decatur

Oddly unranked Brownwood 35 - 21 over 5A Abilene Wylie (Brownwood coming off of a 3rd round playoff exit and Wylie off a 4th round playoff exit in 5A)

TCH 71 - 53 over 4A D2 #5 Gilmer

For me most impressive to least performance week 1 is:

1. Brownwood

2. Anna

3. China Spring

4. TCH

TCH's defense is concerning that's why I put them last. I was hoping for some improvement. If they try to outscore everyone it will be another semi-final exit.

Gilmer’s offense has some dudes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Gilmer’s offense has some dudes. 

True but I've seen TCH put up points. I have yet to see them stop anyone. That's the only way they will get over the hump. It's early, I'm just saying it wasn't impressive week 1. They have time to improve though. Long season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

Celina looks really good!The O-Line is huge and very good!!

I didn't put Celina on here because Paris is not a good football team. They were 2-8 last season so we know nothing about Celina from that game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Kilgore has a chance to be a really tough out in the playoffs.  
They don’t have the 6’5 320 guys on each line, but they are plenty big and physical. 

Ahem, both of our offensive tackles go 6'5" and about 3 bills...... don't sell us short, LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Kilgore was really impressive in the close loss. Anna over Decatur was a surprise. Also

Boerne was beat by CC flower bluff. Small upset also. 
 

Chapel Hills defense was not good but a couple of fumbles gave Gilmer a short field and they have some Dudes that can flat fly! 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Kilgore has a chance to be a really tough out in the playoffs.  
They don’t have the 6’5 320 guys on each line, but they are plenty big and physical. 

Last years kilgore D-line were just dawgs. Played so hard. They weren’t huge, but they were strong powerful guys who could get a push and had motors. Hard to play against. 

Edited by LetsGoEagles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And Chapel Hill also impressed me. That’s an absurd amount of points to put up in a season opener, and to do it on the road against a blue blood program adds a bit too.

Yeah, yeah, the defense. That will definitely come back to bite them if it doesn’t get sorted out, but theres a lot of season left, and quite frankly, there aren’t gonna be many (or any) offenses in 4A DI that will be as explosive as the Bulldogs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2023 at 7:51 AM, d0tc0m said:

Anna was most impressive to me in week one. The new QB looks like a true dual threat. Coyotes might be even better and more explosive than last season.

Anna - Defense hitting harder

Offense - QB is better at the mid game and running, considerably worse at the long throws. Overthrows, INT's, complete whiffs....but if he figures out the deep ball, that offense rivals TCH. If he doesn't expect everyone and their mom to cheat up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CSMike said:

Anna - Defense hitting harder

Offense - QB is better at the mid game and running, considerably worse at the long throws. Overthrows, INT's, complete whiffs....but if he figures out the deep ball, that offense rivals TCH. If he doesn't expect everyone and their mom to cheat up.


Shoot, man, he’s got some dudes on the outside that don’t need to go deep to beat you. Get ‘em the ball quick and in space and make it a foot race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, d0tc0m said:


Shoot, man, he’s got some dudes on the outside that don’t need to go deep to beat you. Get ‘em the ball quick and in space and make it a foot race.

IF they are that fast anyways.....then they should be able to have plenty of daylight deep also.  Could become problematic for secondaries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I don’t think a #1 CS beating a team 2 divisions down #6 is that impressive at all. they better beat them! And only by 22? Not impressed. 

I get what you're saying, and I probably wouldn't put CS in the top five of most impressive wins. But their win was a good win. Those teams are rivals, and Lorena is a really good 3A Div. I squad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I don’t think a #1 CS beating a team 2 divisions down #6 is that impressive at all. they better beat them! And only by 22? Not impressed. 

Don't matter if iron shapes iron. Mart plays up 3 divisions and both teams get better from it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2023 at 2:40 PM, cotton84 said:

Kilgore has a chance to be a really tough out in the playoffs.  
They don’t have the 6’5 320 guys on each line, but they are plenty big and physical. 

They went toe to toe with the Dawgs and with a funny bounce or 2 the score could've been the other way around.  Good luck to whoever meets them in the playoffs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

I get what you're saying, and I probably wouldn't put CS in the top five of most impressive wins. But their win was a good win. Those teams are rivals, and Lorena is a really good 3A Div. I squad.

I totally get it, and it was a good win. But impressive? No. CS better beat the #6 2 divisions down. And I'd say that if it was a 2A-D2 playing a 3A-D1. Doesn't matter. Plus, Lorena is #6. Good squad. But I would think CS needs to beat them by at least 25-28 or it's a disappointing win. Just my opinion. Not trying to take anything away from Lorena. It's more about if CS is the #1 in 4A, they better dominate a team 2 divisions down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DAWG91 said:

They went toe to toe with the Dawgs and with a funny bounce or 2 the score could've been the other way around.  Good luck to whoever meets them in the playoffs!

Kilgore is ALWAYS physical in the trenches. They're just nasty and hard to play against. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I don’t think a #1 CS beating a team 2 divisions down #6 is that impressive at all. they better beat them! And only by 22? Not impressed. 

True but the depth looked real good in the secondary when the backups took it to Lorena's starters despite little to no QB pressure. Backups shut down a 4 star WR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/31/2023 at 6:27 AM, regaleagle said:

IF they are that fast anyways.....then they should be able to have plenty of daylight deep also.  Could become problematic for secondaries.

One of the best WR's from last year is out for most of if not all the season with a broken foot? maybe not sure it's a leg / foot injury.

The other best WR graduated. The 4 star RB graduated.

Anna looked solid vs. Decatur but definitely not as fast as last year on offense at WR.....insanely faster at QB. Defense is playing better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...