Hughes Springs

giant

8 minutes ago, harry7 said:

Someone explain how the previous AD was mediocre? Just curious of facts, how many years was he in charge and how many playoff appearances? Not trying to stir the pot at all, just trying to get caught up on all the facts so I can be informed of the happenings

Let it Go

Let it Go

Retired Coach now, but have coach at a places like Hughes Springs. A place that does not have athletes year in and year out can be tough. Was at a place that went 0-10 or 0-13 as one of our fans said because according to him scrimmages counted against win loss record. 3 years latter we have a good group come up and miss the playoff by one game. The next year we go to playoffs and win first playoff game in school history. Went to playoffs next year. Went to playoffs one more time after missing one year. Then the athletes return to what it had been. Had years of 5-5, 6-4, and 4-6 and suddenly we were horrible coaches. AD head coach leaves, most of staff leaves but I stayed and get moved to coaching a girls sport. Retire 2 years latter. School is just now turning the corner after our run we had through 2005-2009. Played in playoffs last year, might can make it this year but if he don't, your starting to here the rumors that we might need to go another direction. Some people just don't know good coaching when they see it. Parents who tell me their kid runs a 4.5 to 4.6 but we time him at 5.0 to 5.1. I hope the Hughes Spring coach does well, but if he does he better keep playing up to the community's standards regardless of the athletes you have. 

Edited by 514
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 10:52 PM, HS1988 said:

DF 

Arp

Waskom

Tatum

Harmony

Hooks

Garrison

PP

Scheduled most of ET for preseason. This lie has been debunked many times. 

Harmony and hooks have always been push overs they just had a good year last year and maybe this one, tatum y’all schedule them in down years, pewitt has had one good year that’s when they made it to state agains Gunter, so yeah it’s not debunked he cherry picked his preseason to get his wins up that’s why y’all would go 10-0 n choke it in the first round or second 

• LOL! 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2023 at 9:56 AM, mustang1113 said:

If remember right Hughes springs was 3-7 last year so not world beaters by no means and pretty sure they got beat pretty bad in their last game of the year. Coach Newton built  program up from what it had been coach Ed won some game mostly the ones  they were supposed to win. Coach Willis is in his first year give him and his coaches a chance. I'm sure they don't like losing like that either but it happens they will work harder and get better wait and see.

So by your logic he won off of the previous coaches program for 15-16 years all except the last one @ 3-7. Time will tell. 

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, hornetblue said:

No you haven't. 

Oh. There is rumble. May not be the right people rumbling. I doubt they do anything with him though. Which they shouldn’t. They hired him. At least give him 2-3 years where he can drive it completely off the tracks. He deserves that much. 

• LOL! 1

Hughes Springs would have been the worst team in the district this year even if Edwards did not get ran off.

If you hire a guy then you should give him more than 9 months.

Edited by Valhalla

35 minutes ago, DogEatDog said:

Oh. There is rumble. May not be the right people rumbling. I doubt they do anything with him though. Which they shouldn’t. They hired him. At least give him 2-3 years where he can drive it completely off the tracks. He deserves that much. 

honestly with what they had I don't know many that could have done more. maybe score some more( 5.6 ppg) and not give up close to 47 a game, but there was not a whole lot of talent there. New coach and system and not great athletes to fill those positions leads to a bad year.  

8 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

honestly with what they had I don't know many that could have done more. maybe score some more( 5.6 ppg) and not give up close to 47 a game, but there was not a whole lot of talent there. New coach and system and not great athletes to fill those positions leads to a bad year.  

Yea. You’re right. But the issues of athletes walking the halls….. no better. More athletes playing multiple sports….. essentially the same. Is the culture of the program better….. take away wins and losses, and consider those things…? Don’t answer that. Just chew on it. 

like I said before. I’m not a fan of just giving a guy one year, but you are who you are.

16 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Hughes Springs would have been the worst team in the district this year even if Edwards did not get ran off.

If you hire a guy then you should give him more than 9 months.

I don’t think it would have been drastically different. But I bet he would have found a way to win A game. Lol

1 minute ago, DogEatDog said:

I don’t think it would have been drastically different. But I bet he would have found a way to win A game. Lol

I don't think so. They may have been 20 point losses instead of 40 point losses.

12 minutes ago, DogEatDog said:

Yea. You’re right. But the issues of athletes walking the halls….. no better. More athletes playing multiple sports….. essentially the same. Is the culture of the program better….. take away wins and losses, and consider those things…? Don’t answer that. Just chew on it. 

like I said before. I’m not a fan of just giving a guy one year, but you are who you are.

Its tough sometime in small districts to get all athletes out for football especially being an old school offense like they have been in the past. Also on top of that if they were burned by the coach its hard to trust the new guy. Society is getting softer and not all kids are playing football anymore like they have been. I'm not trying to make excuses and I'm far from the program. I just know it could take a year of throwing it around and a new mentality to get the kids out to play. ( edit) just looked they are running a flex bone triple option look so may take a little more and look more like a gunter/cooper to get the kids to come play.

Edited by Slickarick

5 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

Its tough sometime in small districts to get all athletes out for football especially being an old school offense like they have been in the past. Also on top of that if they were burned by the coach its hard to trust the new guy. Society is getting softer and not all kids are playing football anymore like they have been. I'm not trying to make excuses and I'm far from the program. I just know it could take a year of throwing it around and a new mentality to get the kids out to play. 

Kids walk the halls because its easy, and you don't have accountability.

• Like 1

It's funny to me Edwards only won games he "was supposed to win". And now that Hughes Springs went 0-10 they were supposed to go 0-10 and not even Edwards would have saved it. By the way HS has only gone 0-10 1 other time in history (1967). So Edwards in 16 years never had talent capable of 0-10? 

HS all time record is 464-461-34 (Including this past season). Overall playoff 21-24. 8 total (including Edwards) district titles. Best season all time is 12-1 (3 coaches did it, Edwards was one), 3 other times they won 10 games, Edwards was also one of those coaches. 

Edwards posted a 107-72 record with 14 playoff appearances and 4 District titles. 

Is it hard for people to say Edwards maxxed out HS? Not everywhere competes for state championships. 12 wins is the 90 year ceiling for HS and he reached it. One year after him they reach the floor of 0-10 for the first time in nearly 6 decades.

You're a quality program. Career 500. Respectable and tough never having the greatest talent. You messed up and ran off a good coach because you thought you were better than you are. Admit it and get behind the new guy and don't keep making the same mistake. HS can quickly become a revolving door. 

• Like 3