Hughes Springs

giant

I saw a school in the same county as Hughes Springs do the same thing. They reassigned their head coach because their school board decided their coach wasn't doing enough.....That school hasn't won many games since 2012...Having a guy that is invested in your community and is happy being there instead of using you as a stepping stone is better for your program because he brought consistency. 

I said this November 28th, 2022....

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 2:27 PM, DeKlabBeers said:

Easier to blame the coach than it is to blame their own offspring.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:55 PM, Valhalla said:

Always

I don’t see much “Coach blaming” for wins and losses. However, the culture of the program is tightly linked with the AD/HFC (in small schools especially). Consider the last year, and ask yourself if the right decisions were made for the KIDS? If the answer is yes, great job. If the answer is no, there’s a handful of people that had their hand in that. Most of us agree that kids need accountability. Why would adults not also be held accountable?

Just now, DogEatDog said:

I don’t see much “Coach blaming” for wins and losses. However, the culture of the program is tightly linked with the AD/HFC (in small schools especially). Consider the last year, and ask yourself if the right decisions were made for the KIDS? If the answer is yes, great job. If the answer is no, there’s a handful of people that had their hand in that. Most of us agree that kids need accountability. Why would adults not also be held accountable?

There is nothing to hold a school board member accountable except an election.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

There is nothing to hold a school board member accountable except an election.

I disagree. Your votes are the only ACTION that can be taken. But at appropriate times, community members can ask the hard questions, and ask what recourse will be taken to insure the same mistakes aren’t repeated. Removal isn’t always the answer for accountability for students OR adults. But if they are going to continue to make the same mistakes without a change in approach to the problem….. removal can be a necessity in both cases. 

3 hours ago, giant said:

They are really down let’s see if new coach can make some progress in year two

Word is if the HC is back, assistant coaches are checking out. If so, looks like more changes coming. Be interesting to see if that happens.

18 hours ago, thefirsttimer said:

Word is if the HC is back, assistant coaches are checking out. If so, looks like more changes coming. Be interesting to see if that happens.

If assistant coaches are giving ultimatums, it is time for the assistant coaches to go regardless of whether or not a new HC is hired. No HC wants to deal with undermining from assistants. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, thefirsttimer said:

Upside down don't do it justice.

As a follower of HS football for the last 40 years I hate this for the community. Good community and people and most of the kids. Patience and relationships are necessary. As a general rule the first person to follow a person who has been in a position as long as Chris was normally doesn’t have a long tenure- be it a pastor, supt, or any other high ranking position.  As for HS football, they will be back.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 3:25 PM, thefirsttimer said:

Not a real easy place to hire coaches, especially as of late (even though the HS faithful don’t like admitting it). So I hope dude has a plan for getting some guys in… Or this thing could really get going downhill. Some of the bumps and bruises were going to happen regardless of what happened last year. But some of this cluster is senseless.