1961 Garrison 0-8  
1960 Alto 28-6  
1959 Alto 40-14  
1958 Alto 20-0  
1957 Garrison 6-12  
1956 Garrison 6-13  
1955 Garrison 15-19  

9 hours ago, Playfor377 said:

Reigning three-time state champion Carlisle would disagree with that!

Well I have to admit it's been a few years since I've seen a Carlisle game .... but they would have to be something to be as entertaining as the band Alto has fielded the past few years  .... they may not have as much hardware, but they are crowd pleasers .....

• Love 1

On 9/10/2023 at 1:02 PM, KirtFalcon said:

How is the Alto concession stand? The band? ......

Concession stand is good; they'll have the grill fired up and doing burgers I think.  For the last few years the manager of Jacksonville Chili's has run it (local folks whose kids go to Alto).  He knows what he's doing!

The band kept the streak alive Friday at SA with the officials conversing with the band director about their playing/being too loud.  Funny thing is, I didn't think they were that loud. LOL Our numbers are down with mostly middle school kids and I would kind of consider them in a rebuild mode as well.  We lost our band director of 8 years who really brought them up to the best level I had ever seen at Alto, marching over 100 (and you know how kids are sometimes......."such and such left and I'm not gonna be in band.").  They are much smaller now, but still annoy the other team sooooo...........I guess there's that.

Edited by StingEmALTO

On 9/10/2023 at 10:49 PM, Playfor377 said:

Reigning three-time state champion Carlisle would disagree with that!

On 9/11/2023 at 8:09 AM, KirtFalcon said:

Well I have to admit it's been a few years since I've seen a Carlisle game .... but they would have to be something to be as entertaining as the band Alto has fielded the past few years  .... they may not have as much hardware, but they are crowd pleasers .....

Carlisle definitely has a great band.  The thing is, the Alto Band (MSMM...Mean Sting Music Machine) is different than every other band around here.  Hence, the crowd pleasing.....it's kind of loud and in your face, and entertaining with the dancing, etc....  The tradition around East Texas is military style and we just don't do that.  Switched to corp-style in 1980 (Mr. McGuire) and never looked back.  The director prior to Mr. E (Mr. Williams) changed it to a Grambling/Prairie View/Southern style and the kids (and community) loved it.  Mr. E came in and just took it to another level....even marching the halftime show at Prairie View to a standing ovation.  They have won tons of trophies at Battle of the Band competitions against big school 5 & 6As (same style) in the Dallas, Houston, and Shreveport areas, and even a Best of Class trophy at the San Antonio Parade of Flowers, marched Mardi Gras in Galveston every year, played a motorsport race in Austin, and an XFL game in Houston.  BUT, they don't go to UIL.  So they aren't generally respected in the local band world of East Texas......although you'll always see those bands rocking out to whatever our kids are doing.  I have total respect for the other bands who do military, but it's kind of *yawn* because that's what they all do, down to playing many of the same marches.

All that said, our band is kind of in a re-build mode itself after losing our long-time director, and the new guy (Mr. Elmore) is doing a good job to continue what has been started, but it's like anything else when you have change in leadership (and especially a ROCK STAR), it may take a minute...............but they are well on their way!

Prairie View performance:

FB page with YEARS of performances:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1597569183803615?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=2220244414869419

Edited by StingEmALTO
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Cowboys1970 said:

Hey Sting, I can spot your little guy (not so little any more). Time just goes by so quickly! 

Yes it does! And I hate that….. lol Just life.

I spotted both of my boys! When they didn’t wear their hats, those red heads shone like shiny copper pennies!  Easy to find! 😂 AND girl first cousin to younger son’s right. Oldest boy was in band all 6 years; youngest did it that one year in 7th grade. He hated it…..BUT funny thing was he was awarded marcher of the year that year! Lol Mr. E would use him as an example to demonstrate. He’s gonna do his best in whatever he does…whether it’s his thing or not. It was not.  🤣

Edited by StingEmALTO
  • Love 1

Area Football Week 4

Garrison (3-0) at Alto (0-3)

It’d be easy to look at the records and assume the unbeaten team will blow out the winless team. Sometimes that’s true but a bigger factor is which team is hungrier.

The Bulldogs are unbeaten and are likely hungry to keep their perfect record. The Yellowjackets are still in search of their first win and their first three losses are more likely to make them even hungrier.

Garrison quarterback Brayden Davidson is the only one who has thrown a pass for the Bulldogs so far this season. He’s currently 17-of-30 for 208 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. However, Garrison is much more known for its running game, having 1,210 yards on the ground so far.

JD Black leads the team in rushing with 32 carries for 451 yards and six touchdowns. Omarion Rasberry has 39 carries for 433 yards and three touchdowns. Avery Yarbrough has 18 carries for 148 yards and two scores while Davidson has 18 carries for 144 yards and four touchdowns. Both Antonio Yarbrough and Avery Yarbroughhave one receiving touchdown.

Avery Yarbrough leads the defense in tackles with 21, five of which were made behind the line of scrimmage. Gatlan Holmes has 17 tackles, three tackles for a loss, two sacks, one forced fumble and one interception. Carter Crawford has 17 tackles, one sack and four tackles for a loss. Briley Montgomery has one interception and one broken up pass.

The Yellowjackets came within two points of the San Augustine Wolves last week and although they came out with a loss, they showed they can stick with an opponent.

Keegan Davis leads the team’s offense. He’s currently 40-of-77 for 531 yards passing and four touchdowns. His 268 yards and four rushing touchdowns on 47 carries also leads Alto’s rushing attack. Anthony Buckingham has 31 carries for 96 yards.

Defensively, Davis also leads the team in tackles with 36, three of which were tackles for a loss. Zack Battle has 28 tackles, two tackles for a loss, one sack, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and two broken up passes. Tyler Jordan and Brian Guevara each have 20 tackles on the year. Guevara has three tackles for a loss, one sack, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one broken up pass. Jordan has four tackles for a loss and one forced fumble.

Last year’s contest between the two teams saw Garrison win 28-20.

Edited by StingEmALTO
  • Like 1

After watching it again....I did spot the other one. I guess the youngest kinda stood out to me immediately not only his red hair but how tiny he was then. Wow! It only seems like yesterday... Then again I think we've been out some 30 plus years now! That only seems like yesterday too!!! 😂

• LOL! 1

15 minutes ago, Numberjack said:

I hope the Bulldogs have their minds right when they step off the bus.

I hope they are thinking about Timpson.....like in that other thread! 🤣  Mr. Kurt said he had a coach that told them they were 14 points down when they get off the bus at Alto; I've requested 28 this time, but it may be more like +7-14. 😂

Edited by StingEmALTO