WEEK 4: Marshall (1-2) Vs Carthage (3-0)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs Carthage  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Carthage in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Carthage in a blowout
    • Marshall inna blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I always thought it would be like that game...but that simply didn't happen.

2019 was a cluster with our three year starting QB getting suspended after the Legacy game.  He quit the team after that.  We pulled our offense together without him by the time district started.....but finding a new QB/offense Vs the likes of Longview and Carthage is not the time to be experimenting with your most important position.  I was ugly there for a few weeks.

2020 and 2021 were COVID and we played McKinney North in the place of Carthage because of scheduling issues caused by different starting weeks between 4A and 5A teams.  Strangely we were (2-0) Vs McNorth in spite of them being much bigger AND a playoff team in 5A Div I.

Last season was just a disaster..... team was still learning the Wing-T offense.  It worked well against struggling Tyler and Henderson....but it was completely shut down by Longview and Carthage.  Just ugly ugly ugly.  Luckily...just like in 2019....we found our groove and took off last season after the Bulldog beat down.

I honestly don't know what to expect this season...... I just want a competitive game.  

Agree with all.  For this week, Mavs will have more issues running between the tackles.  Gonna have to find other ways to move the chains.  On D, the Mav DB’s are gonna get a LOT of work.  If they can “bend but don’t break”, it could be a low scoring defensive game.

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Likely not LOL.  Carthage isn’t Carthage yet this year, but Longview is Longview already.  Assuming the Carthage injuries previously mentioned, and another two weeks for Marshall to make adjustments, I just expect it to be a more competitive game.  And I’m willing to put my money on the line!  😂

Agree with this, Longview is already normal Longview.

Carthage is not (yet) normal Carthage, and we have a bunch of injuries.

30 minutes ago, marvda1 said:

By the way, whatever happened to that quarterback for Marshall?

He got into some trouble..... 

But last I heard he was looking at some out of state JUCO schools.  Not sure to be completely honest. 

23 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

Don't know what carthage will do next year for non district games marshall cornerstone Pitt and kilgore will not be renewed 

Maybe we answer the phone. Kinda surprised at this in all seriousness. Kilgore Henderson and love seeing Chapel Hill play Carthage.

6 hours ago, Gen7Dragon said:

I don't really have a good answer for your question. 

Without being too critical I just think Marshall will be too much overall and win a close one. 

Its definitely possible, Carthage has a lot of injuries to get sorted, early season, new starters in lots of positions.

It’s also possible Jett will throw five touchdowns in the first half again, ha, we really just don’t know!

😃

7 hours ago, Gen7Dragon said:

The current Carthage team is different than in previous years. 

Against good teams they will have to grind it out on the ground, and make big defensive plays. 

In my humble opinion Marshall will be too much. 

Against Marshall Friday - your guess, will Carthage throw for 170+ yards or will they throw for less than 170 ??

7 hours ago, Gen7Dragon said:

I don't really have a good answer for your question. 

Without being too critical I just think Marshall will be too much overall and win a close one. 

Please be critical.  Unless Marshall Offense has greatly improved in areas they have struggled in the first three games, points will be hard to come by for the Mavs Fri.  That will put even more pressure on the Mav Defense and Special Teams to keep them in the game.

• Like 1

Of Carthage’s starting front 7, 4 of them started last year as sophomores. 

Marshall didn’t score against Carthage last year.  The CHS front 7 have played 16 games since then, all of which were victories.

It’s hard to envision Marshall scoring more than 2 touchdowns in this year’s game.

• Like 1

The injuries are a concern.  I really hope that they are not too serious.  I know one definitely was in week 1.

There is opportunity for this team to struggle.  As talented as they are, they are still young.  I am not going to sit here and say that Marshall has no chance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

The injuries are a concern.  I really hope that they are not too serious.  I know one definitely was in week 1.

There is opportunity for this team to struggle.  As talented as they are, they are still young.  I am not going to sit here and say that Marshall has no chance.

For this Carthage team, they need to struggle a little bit.  They need adversity for growth if they want to make a run.  The injuries are just going to build depth in the long run.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Week 1 injury is going to try to play sometime soon, correct ??