WEEK 4: Marshall (1-2) Vs Carthage (3-0)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs Carthage  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Carthage in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Carthage in a blowout
    • Marshall inna blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

Marshall will do what we do. Finish 5-5, maybe 6-4. Somewhere 2-4th in dist, probably a tiebreaker for seeding and then turn in pads after first weekend of playoffs. 

the dist is weak other than Texas High. We have better athletes than the rest if the district so it doesn’t matter who the coach has been, results are the same. 

yes, we have a odd year where we win 2-3 playoff games. 

but until Marshall hires a disrupter as HC and that person doesn’t worry about being friends and buddies with the same ole power brokers in town.  That coach would need a Supt that tells all the power brokers to pound sand when they come for the coaches job after a year or so because the coach is building a program and isn’t playing footzie with them. 

only had the combination once in my lifetime and that was Supt Pat Smith and she hired Dennis Parker. She kept the wolves away after the first two years when they wanted to run him out of town. He kept to his guns on how he ran the program. 

the only other 1/2 of that duo was Rodney Southern as HC.  But the Supt wasn’t much help and once he reached some success in back to back state title games, the wolves were out because he hadn’t won one. So he caught the train out of town. 

maybe I will see a dynamic duo like that before I die, but when I see all the wolves at the field house and press box and on and on. The supt and HC just kee keeing buddies with them, I don’t have much hope in seeing it. 

just my 2 cents of being there and witnessing greatness and watching everything else since. 

peace. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I get wanting to put this series on hold, but who the heck is Carthage going to play? Heard the Cornerstone series may be coming to an end too! 

Possibilities?

Texas High, where Coach Surratt was OC prior to moving to Carthage

Chapel Hill, whose talent level has come back strongly 

Whitehouse - Mahomes vs. Bogie was fun (at least for 2-1/2 quarters)

Henderson - perhaps their new coach will be willing to resume the rivalry 

Lindale - perhaps they’re also ready to resume the series

Jasper, assuming they don’t move back into CHS’s district in next year’s realignment 

Silsbee, assuming the realignment doesn’t result in the Tigers and CHS being in the same region 

Pleasant Grove, assuming the realignment results in CHS being moved into Region 3

Gilmer - same comment as Pleasant Grove

Pine Tree - I’d like a chance to see their stadium

Spring Hill - at least one of their fans wants a shot at the Dawgs

1 hour ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

I see Carthage’s best or 1A receiver #5 was out with a injury. Manning is a stud. That was a big loss for Carthage tonight 

2nd or 3rd receiver was on the sidelines not suited out eiter.........#5 did play a few plays as a decoy.

36 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I get wanting to put this series on hold, but who the heck is Carthage going to play? Heard the Cornerstone series may be coming to an end too! 

50/50 Carthage goes South next relignment.   If so, Gilmer and P G are real good possibilities.

No doubt Marshall was out matched in this one. I predicted it to be 42-14 so i was pretty close. But i was proud of our guys toughness in the 2nd half and never give up attitude. If we can carry that over into next week and into district play we will be fine. Carthage played dirty the whole game and we never backed down. I was happy to see Alvarez actually jump all over the refs defending his team. Usually a 38-13 loss would be tough to come back from but i think this will do just the opposite and motivate the Mavs to a possible district championship.

• LOL! 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

We have better athletes than the rest if the district so it doesn’t matter who the coach has been, results are the same. 

That is a HIGHLY partisan debatable statement

and absolutely no disrespect intended

Edited by THSfanatic

5 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

No doubt Marshall was out matched in this one. I predicted it to be 42-14 so i was pretty close. But i was proud of our guys toughness in the 2nd half and never give up attitude. If we can carry that over into next week and into district play we will be fine. Carthage played dirty the whole game and we never backed down. I was happy to see Alvarez actually jump all over the refs defending his team. Usually a 38-13 loss would be tough to come back from but i think this will do just the opposite and motivate the Mavs to a possible district championship.

You must not have watched the same game I did. Marshall was just as bad stating fights as the Dawgs were

1 hour ago, RogerDorn said:

disagree 

Do you disagree that we will be fine?

Disagree that we play a killer non-district schedule every year?

Disagree said schedule makes us better for district play? 

Disagree that I don’t think anyone in our district is at the level of Carthage and Longview?  And maybe Tyler.  They are all a combined 11-1.  

Disagree that a 4-0 or 3-1 record headed in to district occasionally instead of 1-3 would be nice ? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Guess it depends on what side you were sitting on. Same could be said for Marshall. Funny how you see it as “toughness” and “never give up attitude”. Others could see it as Marshall was down 35-0 and started mouthing because that’s all they could do. Not saying that is what happened, just a different perspective.

I think we should chalk it up to both teams running their mouths and both need to do better. 

Edited by SmoakyBandito

Cowboy, on the play where the marshall player was ejected, the carthage guy was the first to throw a punch. But of course the refs didnt see that. And carthage #8 could have been called for unsportsmanlike numerous times talking and taunting after every play he made. He even came to our sideline and flexed in our assistant coaches faces.

• Crybaby 1

9 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

You must not have watched the same game I did. Marshall was just as bad stating fights as the Dawgs were

Of course they were. That poster is just trying to find something to grab on to. Carthage plays 16 games a season. They hardly ever act like that. I think it’s pretty normal for Marshall.

3 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Both teams were at fault. 
Refs lost control of the game

If the ejection that happened was legit, there should have been others. More egregious penalties were done by both sides.   That ejection was ridiculous. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Cowboy, on the play where the marshall player was ejected, the carthage guy was the first to throw a punch. But of course the refs didnt see that. And carthage #8 could have been called for unsportsmanlike numerous times talking and taunting after every play he made. He even came to our sideline and flexed in our assistant coaches faces.

It was both sides. Go back and watch when Carthage FB was hit late and his helmet came off out of bounds. See how the Marshall sideline was acting. It was both teams. Both need to be better.

Edited by SmoakyBandito

47 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Did I also read on here that Kilgore wants to go back to being a scrimmage for us? If that's the case, we could be losing 3 games!

I haven't heard that, and would be disappointed if that's the case. But, even if it's true...we did sign up for 4 years of squaring off with y'all when no one else would answer the phone. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aggie98 said:

I haven't heard that, and would be disappointed if that's the case. But, even if it's true...we did sign up for 4 years of squaring off with y'all when no one else would answer the phone. 

95% of the time, the Kilgore-Carthage gate($$$$$) and concession stand $$$$$ is such that it would be a shame not to play.

• Like 1