Pre Season Games

cujoforlife

35 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

we won't see marshall vs carthage  for awhile. 

i wouldn't mind seeing Nac vs Carthage again.

I wouldn't mind playing either. Marshall, to me, should be a no brainer. They are less than30 mins away and always draw a nice crowd. Nac would be a nice replacement though or even Hallsville.

1 hour ago, bossman1 said:

I wouldn't mind playing either. Marshall, to me, should be a no brainer. They are less than30 mins away and always draw a nice crowd. Nac would be a nice replacement though or even Hallsville.

I've always felt like Carthage vs Henderson and Carthage vs Kilgore should be a given. At least rotate them every two years or something. 

And while everyone is talking about Carthage playing up and for good reason. I've always been curious how a few of the prominant 3A programs might stack up against Surratt and Carthage. I know, It'll probably never happen. And Dawgs fans have no reason or inclination to believe they would make it a game but I think a Carthage vs Franklin or Carthage vs Gunter could definitely be interesting, if nothing else. Gunter has absolutely zero athletes that compare to Carthage nor the depth but year in and year out they are a well oiled machine. Could their extreme discipline and tricky offense give Carthage any kind of game at all? We'll never know but I often wonder what would happen if they had the chance. I'll say this.....if you lined either Franklin or Gunter up against them, I bet there would be quite a bit more resistance than Pittsburg showed the last 2 years. So, maybe it's not as far fetched as the initial thought. 

2 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

I've always felt like Carthage vs Henderson and Carthage vs Kilgore should be a given. At least rotate them every two years or something. 

And while everyone is talking about Carthage playing up and for good reason. I've always been curious how a few of the prominant 3A programs might stack up against Surratt and Carthage. I know, It'll probably never happen. And Dawgs fans have no reason or inclination to believe they would make it a game but I think a Carthage vs Franklin or Carthage vs Gunter could definitely be interesting, if nothing else. Gunter has absolutely zero athletes that compare to Carthage nor the depth but year in and year out they are a well oiled machine. Could their extreme discipline and tricky offense give Carthage any kind of game at all? We'll never know but I often wonder what would happen if they had the chance. I'll say this.....if you lined either Franklin or Gunter up against them, I bet there would be quite a bit more resistance than Pittsburg showed the last 2 years. So, maybe it's not as far fetched as the initial thought. 

Years that Carthage are smaller in the defensive line, the two teams mentioned above could sometimes move the ball……last year, this year, and next year too much athletic beef in Carthage’s d-line.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

The difference would be size on both the D line and O line. 

31 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I would love to see next years Dawgs go up against Aledo, China Spring, and Texas High. 
I don’t want a Longview versus Dawgs game. It does not help either team in any way. 

Ehhh, it doesn't help Longview in any fashion or form and a game that King should never ever accept if ever presented the offer. It's a lose/lose situation from every angle you look at it as a Lobo. I feel like it could help Carthage. The only bad scenario for Carthage to me would be suffering injuries to star players or any players. The lack of depth vs a program like Longview would make that the one and only monumental concern. Longview 2s would get rotated in with a very small drop off in talent and Carthage would have to stick with the 1s to have a chance to combat and fatigue sets in and kids get complacent. Losing wouldn't matter, they aren't supposed to win. If by some grace of the good Lord Carthage was able to win or just even keep it close through 2.5 or 3 quarters.... confidence and moral goes through the roof, fear scatters across the state in 4A, 48 D1 offers come flying in lol, Surratt becomes even more mythical, plenty more effects. Longview? Not a single gain even if they win by 90. They were supposed to. But turn the ball over a couple times and let Carthage stay close or worse......(hypothetically) have a meltdown and let them win? Uuuuugly, ugly, ugly, ugly. So.....indeed Longview couldn't gain a single thing. But Carthage? Carthage could gain.

17 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Years that Carthage are smaller in the defensive line, the two teams mentioned above could sometimes move the ball……last year, this year, and next year too much athletic beef in Carthage’s d-line.  

All I'm saying is Frankin and Gunter woulda beat Pitt by 40 or 50 the last two years. I feel like they'd ready the Dawgs better than Pitt ever could. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

The difference would be size on both the D line and O line. 

Fair enough but Gunter is 100% always dwarfed by teams. Franklin is generally pretty beefy. Some of these 3A programs got a lot more beef on the lines than you could ever imagine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle8 said:

I agree but one team you mentioned would rather play ETex school of the blind or  any 3a or below program that's struggling.

On 11/13/2023 at 6:11 AM, bossman1 said:

Carthage vs D. Cowboys (@ the Star scrimmage)

Carthage vs GP North Shore (scrimmage)

Carthage vs Tx Longhorns

Carthage vs A&M

Carthage vs Alabama

Carthage vs Duncanville

Carthage vs Longview 

Dawgs go 3-2 and the haters go wild when the Dawgs lose2 in a row🤣🤣🤣

All joking aside

Dawgs vs Henderson (just bc it’s fun watching them beating the brakes off of the cowards of Rusk County)

Dawgs vs Kilgore (always competitive)

Dawgs vs Marshall (why not)

Dawgs vs Tx High (Thanking them for Surratt)

Dawgs vs Lindale ( To prove DI is not superior to DII as someone seems to think)

Dawgs vs Argyle, La Vega or China Spring

The one matchup that is glaringly missing...  Dawgs vs Liberty Hill.  (just bc it's no fun watching them get the brakes beat off them by a one dimensional team)

3 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

The one matchup that is glaringly missing...  Dawgs vs Liberty Hill.  (just bc it's no fun watching them get the brakes beat off them by a one dimensional team)

3 points is your idea of getting the brakes beat off. I don’t remember seeing Liberty Hill any any of the state championship games Carthage was in. 
They were in 10 and won 9 how many was Liberty Hill in. Oh I remember they were 2 and 1. Enough said. 

Just now, cowboyandchrist said:

3 points is your idea of getting the brakes beat off. I don’t remember seeing Liberty Hill any any of the state championship games Carthage was in. 
They were in 10 and won 9 how many was Liberty Hill in. Oh I remember they were 2 and 1. Enough said. 

Sorry I forgot SOC beat the brakes of Liberty Hill  

7 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

I’d be ok with that game..The first matchup (Surratt’s first yr) LH was a defending state champion with a lot of returning starters who ran that offense to perfection. They were just better that night. 2nd matchup LH won by 3 and I’m not convinced that they were the better team that night. I will say that their coach was smart/ lucky to get the Dawgs in that environment. If you were there you know that the wind made the Dawgs pretty much one dimensional. However, I don’t think the brakes were beat off of the Dawgs either game.

18 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Come on 'cowboy,' lighten up and have a little fun.  Still, we both know the head-to-head is what matters.  the thread is about preseason matchups and this one was glaringly missing from the long list given by bossman.  Dawgs have had enough of the Panthers.

29 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

This dude lives off those two losses.  If I recall that LH team that beat Carthage by 3 points lost to Waco La Vega, so they got the same ring that year as Carthage did....as in, not one.

Just now, Everide2016 said:

Come on 'cowboy,' lighten up and have a little fun.  Still, we both know the head-to-head is what matters.  the thread is about preseason matchups and this one was glaringly missing from the long list given by bossman.  Dawgs have had enough of the Panthers.

Head-to-head didn't win them many rings...

I really doubt that the program at Liberty Hill consoles themselves when they don't win state each year by saying "Well, we did beat Surratt and the Bulldogs twice."

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

This dude lives off those two losses.  If I recall that LH team that beat Carthage by 3 points lost to Waco La Vega, so they got the same ring that year as Carthage did....as in, not one.

It's all I've got JBizzle.  Let me enjoy it.  Ring or no ring doesn't matter, 2-0 matters, especially when not given a snowball's chance.

Just now, Everide2016 said:

It's all I've got JBizzle.  Let me enjoy it.  Ring or no ring doesn't matter, 2-0 matters, especially when not given a snowball's chance.

Who didn't give them a snowball's chance?  It was the State Semi-finals!  

I like LH.  I think they have a great program and I find myself cheering for them in the playoffs, (obviously not on two occassions).  I think what they do is fascinating.

I also think they caught Carthage on two years that they needed to catch them.  They weren't around in the other years for one reason or another...

10 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Sorry that games still bothers me. The three dropped passes with no defender in five yards of Dixon or Williams and the fact LH ran for 500 yards on the Dawgs. 
That game gets to me worse than the El Campo loss did. 

43 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Gotta cherish those few moments of joy. Helps with Christmas giving !