Alto 0-7 (0-2) at Overton 7-0 (2-0)

MUSTANGMANIA

Alto at Overton  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Alto Yellowjackets
    • Overton Mustangs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/20/2023 at 11:59 PM

2 hours ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

I read these posts and people keep asking what's going on in Overton?  I think the better question is what's going on in Alto?  You have to dig deep to find an Alto team that has struggled like they have this year. 

Not really they were 0-8 a few years back before winning the last 2 

What is going on is the 2nd year of no chance at the playoffs. There is nothing to play for besides "pride" and that only lasts for so long. This is a prime example of why admin in any profession need to pay attention to the details and not "miscount". 

• Like 1

Alto played some traditionally tough non-district opponents.  Their non-district opponents were all 2ADI having an overall record of 21-14. They played San Augustine, losing a close game 33-35. They also went up a super strong Garrison team who are currently ranked 7th in 2ADI.

Alto historically has overall great team speed. They have a seasoned QB in Davis. https://www.maxpreps.com/tx/alto/alto-yellowjackets/athletes/keegan-davis/media/videos/?careerid=47erk886finff&videoid=4b496820-c6d2-4565-92bd-f1df230b5b93

Don't think Overton can overlook this team at all.  Overton in another close one.

Overton Collage.jpg

Edited by Ronster23

2 hours ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

I read these posts and people keep asking what's going on in Overton?  I think the better question is what's going on in Alto?  You have to dig deep to find an Alto team that has struggled like they have this year. 

They are super young. Start a ton of freshmen. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beastx89 said:

What is going on is the 2nd year of no chance at the playoffs. There is nothing to play for besides "pride" and that only lasts for so long. This is a prime example of why admin in any profession need to pay attention to the details and not "miscount". 

Yeah but it was the same situation last year and they won district.  I guess I expected more of the same this year.  Any idea what the numbers are now in Alto?

Edited by MUSTANGMANIA

Alto only returned two starters on offense and maybe one or two more on the defense. Only had four or five seniors. Our team is extremely young and our JV didn't get any playing time last year, and apparently they haven't see any or much action this year either. All we can do is just keep fighting and playing for the love of the game, and push forward to next year!

As their numbers, we'll all know shortly. 

I'm still supporting these coaches and these great kids! It's been a rough year for everybody, but we are not quitters and we will be back! This I can guarantee you!! 

Goooooooooooooooooooooo JACKETS!! 

Edited by Cowboys1970
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Beastx89 said:

I promise if 6a and 5a school districts can count correctly then a 2A didn't mess up. If so then if they can't get that right I hope they are not in control of something more technical.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cat51993 said:

I promise if 6a and 5a school districts can count correctly then a 2A didn't mess up. If so then if they can't get that right I hope they are not in control of something more technical.  

I believe it was a disgruntled employee (now former employee) who turned the # in and the admin trusted that she did it properly and submitted the number...pretty sure thats how it went down

And yes, young team, no playoffs to play for and you have Alto's struggles in 2023

Edited by MattStepp
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I believe it was a disgruntled employee (now former employee) who turned the # in and the admin trusted that she did it properly and submitted the number...pretty sure thats how it went down

And yes, young team, no playoffs to play for and you have Alto's struggles in 2023

Very close to the story I was told as well. Anyone that works in education knows that it is next to impossible to "accidentally" turn in the wrong the number. It gets checked and rechecked multiple times. 

Also to add, last year Alto was senior heavy and they were still willing to grind out a season with no pay off at the end. These younger kids missed out on what would have been a playoff run and extra practices. Now they are being thrown through another season with no playoffs and are in a very competitive district.

Got our work cut out for us.......again!  Overton returns 16 lettermen with only 4 lost to graduation and 8 back on both sides of the ball.  They have won more games this season (7-0) than the last 6 years combined (6-53 from 2017-2022).  They have to be feeling good and I am happy for them.  The Jackets are struggling mightily with 2 returning starters on offense, 4 on defense, and a ton of underclassmen (including up to 5 freshmen on the field at times) doing what we can with what we got.  They are working hard in practice, fighting hard to right the ship, but have been unable to win yet.  We were in the same predicament in 2020 and finished that season with 2 wins at the end to go 2-8.  Before that our last losing season was 2017 going 4-7.  Before that you have to go way back to 1987 to find a losing record (4-6).  Winless season?  1977.  We've only had 3 of those:  1929, 1976, 1977.  No one in the program or community wants to add to or be part of that list.

The good news:  our middle school program.  Good numbers and we are winning: 8th & 7th both first in district, plus great pre-season with only 1 loss for 8th and 2 for 7th....vs. 2AD1.  The sixth graders have 21 boys that will be playing next season.  The fifth graders are organized and playing youth football with close to 20 players.  These groups are excited and very motivated; they seem to be good in all the sports, too.  So our hope is in our future and the future looks bright.

We have 3 games left and I know that we will give it everything we got.  I hope it's enough to eek out a win or two to prevent a historical season........one on the wrong side of history.

As far as the UIL C-R-A-P, the ones to suffer have been our players (my son from last year's team included who had a chance to make a run...district champs and 3 losses by 4, 8, and 1), the parents, the community, and the current coaches.  That was a huge CF and that's about all I will say about it.  We belong in D2 with our numbers and we will absolutely not be going up the next realignment.

Good luck to Overton on Friday, more luck to the Jackets.  We need it!  lol

The series:

ALTO VS. OVERTON    
SERIES RECORD 5-1 Alto    

2022 Alto 32-29 DIST
2009 Alto 38-8 DIST
2008 Alto 6-47 DIST
1979 Alto 46-0 DIST
1978 Alto 64-0 DIST
1937 Overton 37-0 BI-DIST

All-Time Record for Alto:
     605 wins | 391 losses | 34 ties | 1,030 total games

All-Time Record for Overton:
     452 wins | 454 losses | 24 ties | 930 total games

All-Time Series Record:
     Alto - 5 wins | Overton - 1 win

Alto’s longest winning streak vs. Overton:
     5 wins in a row (1978-2022)

Overton’s longest winning streak vs. Alto:
     No streak

Current streak:  Alto 5 wins in a row (1978 - now)

Edited by StingEmALTO
  • Like 1