Jump to content

Week Ten: Longview vs Tyler (100th Meeting)


LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (7-1, 5-0) vs Tyler Lions (6-2, 3-2)  

39 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Tyler in a close one
    • Tyler in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/27/2023 at 11:30 PM

Recommended Posts

2023.pngtyler.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (7-1, 5-0) VS TYLER LIONS (6-2, 3-2)


DATE: Friday, October 27th
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: Lobo Stadium in Longview, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
TYLER BROADCAST: 97.5 FM KTBB
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview GameDay
TYLER LIVE STREAM: N/a

longview.png LOBOS LEAD SERIES 53-39-7 longview.png

The Lions have a 12-8-0 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 45-27-7 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 27-15-5 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 26-24-2 lead when the game played at Tyler.
Longview has won the last six meetings with the Lions.
Longview is 14-7-1 all-time against Tyler at Lobo Stadium (new), with the Lobos winning the last two meetings there.
The Lobos have a 3-0-0 lead when the game is played on October 27th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES:
10.27.2022 - Longview 42, Tyler 3 - Rose Stadium
11.05.2021 - Longview 49, Tyler 0 - Lobo Stadium
12.04.2020 - Longview 58, Tyler 10 - Rose Stadium
09.12.2019 - Longview 42, John Tyler 0 - Rose Stadium
09.14.2018 - Longview 41, John Tyler 13 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
One more win. That’s all that stands between the Longview Lobos and a program 42nd district championship. The Lobos moved to within one win of that district title following their 36-13 victory over the McKinney North Bulldogs. In the win, the Lobos were able to overcome a mini curse they’ve found themselves in with McKinney ISD Stadium. Longview had previously lost 23-21 to state ranked McKinney to open the season, after having already previously lost to the North Bulldogs back in 2021 at McKinney ISD, 37-35, in a massive upset that saw the Lobos turn the ball over five times in the loss. This week, the Lobos..behind Taylor Tatum and Kelvin Washington..rushed all over the Bulldogs, racking up over 300 yards rushing. It marked the fourth straight game the Lobos have rushed for over 274 yards. In the win, Taylor Tatum picked up two rushing scores…bringing him within one rushing tally of Kaden Meredith’s all-time rushing touchdown mark as a Lobo. Tatum continued his overall total touchdown mark with his 62nd and 63rd. Longview now turns to senior night against long time rival Tyler, in the 100th edition of the Lobos and Cujo facing off on the gridiron. The Lions come into the contest much improved from previously seasons, sitting at 6-2 on the year. However, the Lions do not control their own destiny in the playoff race with losses to McKinney North and Lancaster in the district race. Tyler will end the season with Longview and Forney. The Lobos come in having won their last six contests against Cujo, having given up only 17 points in the last four games combined. Dating back to Tyler’s last trip to the State Championship game back in 2000, the Lobos own a 17-3 record against their western rivals with Cujo last claiming a victory in 2016. However, all three of losses to Tyler came at Lobo Stadium. No team has been more successful against Longview at Lobo Stadium under head coach John King than Tyler’s Lions, registering a 3-5 record against the Lobos. However, for John King’s Lobos on senior night, Longview sports a perfect 19-0 record. The win over Tyler will give Longview their 16th district title in 20 seasons under John King, with only the 2012, 2017, 2020 and 2021 Lobos not being able to secure a district crown. Longview is currently on a 13-game district winning streak dating back to 2021. Longview and Tyler’s 100th meeting will be the second 100th meeting against a program in Lobo history, behind only Marshall. The two programs first met back in 1912, when Longview knocked off Tyler, 13-7. The two teams were set to meet in 1910, but the game was cancelled. Tyler controlled a 7-game series lead back in 1965, but since then the Lobos have completely overtaken the Lions in the overall series. Since 1966, Longview is 37-16-2 against Tyler, with only a 7-year stretch between 1994 and 2000 that saw the Lions truly dominate the Lobos (6-1 during that time for Tyler).

WEEK NINE RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Longview 36 McKinney North 13
Lancaster 55 West Mesquite 0
Forney 53 North Mesquite 13
Lufkin 20 Tyler 23

WEEK TEN 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
McKinney North at Forney
Lancaster at North Mesquite
Tyler at Longview
West Mesquite at Lufkin

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS:
1st. Longview (7-1, 5-0)
2nd. Forney (7-1, 4-1)
3rd. McKinney North (6-2, 4-1)
4th. Tyler (6-2, 3-2)
5th. Lancaster (3-5, 2-3)
6th. Lufkin (4-4, 1-4)
7th. West Mesquite (3-5, 1-4)
8th. North Mesquite (1-7, 0-5)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW:
Last game - Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill defeated Humble Kingwood Park, 56-14. La Porte defeated Baytown Sterling, 34-0. New Caney Porter defeated Baytown Goose Creek Memorial, 42-7. Port Arthur Memorial defeated Baytown Lee, 42-33. Crosby is off.
This week - Baytown Goose Creek Memorial faces Baytown Sterling. Baytown Lee hosts New Caney Porter. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill hosts Port Arthur Memorial. Crosby faces La Porte at Barbers Hill. Humble Kingwood Park is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 7-1 (4-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (218-46 in 20 seasons) (Playoffs: 49-18)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 777-357-52 (Playoffs: 78-45-1)
Playoff Appearances: 48
Last Playoff Appearance: 2022, Class 5A Division I State Semi-Final
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.24 - at McKinney - Loss 23-21
09.01 - at Marshall - Win 48-7
09.08 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 28-7 (Half Game)
09.15 - vs Lufkin - Win 42-0
09.22 - at Lancaster - Win 52-35
10.06 - at Forney - Win 13-7
10.13 - vs North Mesquite - Win 63-0
10.20 - at McKinney North - Win 36-13
10.27 - vs Tyler
11.03 - at West Mesquite

TYLER LIONS
Record: 6-2 (3-2)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Rashaun Woods (6-2 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1908
All-Time Record: 736-414-41 (Playoffs: 59-33-3)
Playoff Appearances: 39
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, 5A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships (3): 1930 (1A), 1973 (4A), 1994 (5A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1930 (1A), 1955 (4A), 1973 (4A), 1994 (5A D2), 2000 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.25 - vs Marshall - Win 38-36 (5 OT)
09.01 - v. Tyler Legacy - Win 28-14
09.08 - vs Mesquite Horn - Win 27-12
09.15 - at North Mesquite - Win 21-6
09.21 - vs McKinney North - Loss 31-26
10.06 - at Lancaster - Loss 34-27
10.13 - at West Mesquite - Win 45-14
10.20 - vs Lufkin - Win 23-20
10.27 - at Longview
11.03 - vs Forney

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 27th
In 1933, Longview defeated Kilgore, 6-0, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1939, Kenneth Hallmark ran in from two yards out in the third quarter to lift Kilgore to a 6-0 win over the Lobos at Lobo Stadium.
In 1944, Abie Aycock rushed for three second half scores as Longview defeated Jacksonville, 19-0, at Lobo Stadium. Longview held the Indians to 45 total yards on the night.
In 1961, Hawk Clements, Robert Myers and Barry Post each rushed for a score in a 22-0 shut out of Marshall at Lobo Stadium behind 277 rushing yards for the Lobos.
In 1967, Rodney Hill rushed for two scores and Steve Judy rushed and threw for two more scores in a 31-0 Longview victory over Marshall at Lobo Stadium. The Lobo defense produced five turnovers on the day.
In 1972, Larry Harkless led the way with two scores, including a 76-yard rushing tally as Longview knocked off Nacogdoches, 35-6, at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos had 387 total yards on the night while holding the Dragons to -8 total.
In 1978, Eference Murphy took an 85-yard punt return to the house to springboard the Tigers of Texas High to a 21-0 victory over Longview at Grim Park.
In 1989, Trency Clough and D.D. Turner each tallied twice as Marshall embarrassed Longview, 35-2, at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos finished with 57 total yards on the night, including -1 passing.
In 1995, Isiah Stoker rushed for four first half touchdowns as Longview rolled over Tyler Lee, 35-8, at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos rushed for 364 yards on the day, including 231 from Stoker.
In 2000, LaRandall McKind rushed for two scores but it wasn’t enough as Marshall’s Nate Foster matched those two scores in a 38-28 victory for Marshall over Longview at Lobo Stadium. The Mavs passed for 258 yards on the night.
In 2006, Jazmon Moon rushed for two scores as Longview erased a 14-0 halftime lead for John Tyler, in a 28-21 victory at Lobo Stadium over Cujo. D’Marcus Miles and Travrus Brown also tallied for the Lobos in the win.
In 2017, A’Daris Carter and Keilyn Williams tallied touchdowns for the Lobos, as Longview recorded two safeties in a 28-19 victory victory over John Tyler at Rose Stadium on a cold, rainy night in Tyler.
In 2022, Taylor Tatum rushed for three scores as Longview rolled over Tyler High, 42-3, at Rose Stadium. The Lobos rushed for 330 yards on the night while holding the Lions to -8 total.

lobohowl2.GIF
Edited by LoboFan07
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

Struggles with lufkin who Longview whooped don't see it maybe if was at rose not lobo 

styles make matchups, can't judged based on that.

BUT...Longview should win by a couple of TD's 

However, I do like this staff and the fight of this team.  I wouldn't be shocked if they made this a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

can someone post the playoff scenarios for each team in the district

West Mesquite and North Mesquite are done.

Longview has clinched a spot and can clinch the #1 seed with a win on Friday.

Forney and McKinney North will each have a chance to clinch a spot with a win on Friday against one another. Both just need one more win to get in.

Lancaster needs to win their final two to get in, as well as have Tyler lose one more. With their win over Tyler, they’re in the best position for the final spot facing off against North Mesq and Lufkin to end the year.

Tyler also needs to win out to get in. If they lose Friday, there’s a slight chance they can get in on points in a three way tiebreaker with Forney losing out and creating that 3 way with them, Tyler and Lancaster. If LT were to lose another, technically would get in with going 1-1 with a win vs Forney in final week and the Jackrabbits losing to McNorth.

Lufkin could get back in there if Tyler loses out, Lancaster wins this week vs North Mesq, Lufkin wins this week vs West Mesq and then the Panthers beat Lancaster by a certain amount. If Lancaster loses this week vs North Mesq, then that three way tiebreaker scenario is out the window and Tyler would have the tiebreaker.

It's going to be tough for Cujo to get in in all reality. Winning out clearly is the most wanted option. Getting in with Forney, Lancaster, themselves finishing 4-3 is really is the only true way I can see it actually happening.

North Mesquite no doubt could throw a lot of things off with facing Lancaster and McKinney North next week, but sorry, those are just for sure wins for those programs.

Edited by LoboFan07
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

West Mesquite and North Mesquite are done.

Longview has clinched a spot and can clinch the #1 seed with a win on Friday.

Forney and McKinney North will each have a chance to clinch a spot with a win on Friday against one another. Both just need one more win to get in.

Lancaster needs to win their final two to get in, as well as have Tyler lose one more. With their win over Tyler, they’re in the best position for the final spot facing off against North Mesq and Lufkin to end the year.

Tyler also needs to win out to get in. If they lose Friday, there’s a slight chance they can get in on points in a three way tiebreaker with Forney losing out and creating that 3 way with them, Tyler and Lancaster. If LT were to lose another, technically would get in with going 1-1 with a win vs Forney in final week and the Jackrabbits losing to McNorth.

Lufkin could get back in there if Tyler loses out, Lancaster wins this week vs North Mesq, Lufkin wins this week vs West Mesq and then the Panthers beat Lancaster by a certain amount. If Lancaster loses this week vs North Mesq, then that three way tiebreaker scenario is out the window and Tyler would have the tiebreaker.

It's going to be tough for Cujo to get in in all reality. Winning out clearly is the most wanted option. Getting in with Forney, Lancaster, themselves finishing 4-3 is really is the only true way I can see it actually happening.

North Mesquite no doubt could throw a lot of things off with facing Lancaster and McKinney North next week, but sorry, those are just for sure wins for those programs.

Tyler should of went for the TD at the end vs Lufkin. That would had put them in much better position because it's going to come down to the Lufkin and Lancaster game and in that 3 way scenario they're already eliminated. They will have to beat Forney or Longview now to get in unless we really think Lancaster will lose to North Mesquite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think anybody would’ve said that Tyler and LV would be 6-2 and 7-1 by the time we played each other. What’s even more crazy is that Tyler was a few plays away from being undefeated right now. If we could put something together in the first half we would be ok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I don’t think anybody would’ve said that Tyler and LV would be 6-2 and 7-1 by the time we played each other. What’s even more crazy is that Tyler was a few plays away from being undefeated right now. If we could put something together in the first half we would be ok. 

Cujo should be 7-1 right now. The Lancaster game was a letdown. Some of the deep balls should have been knockdown and not try to intercept the ball. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect this to be a good game.  Lobos secondary is going to get tested.  It’s going to be interesting to see how Woods defends against the Lobos.  

It most likely will be a slow churning game much like McNorth and not Lufkin. Lobos will score and get separation and grind out the second half.

Honestly glad to see so many teams in our district playing better as a whole than last year…makes everyone in the district stronger come playoff time.

Edited by kingwolf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I expect this to be a good game.  Lobos secondary is going to get tested.  It’s going to be interesting to see how Woods defends against the Lobos.  

It most likely will be a slow churning game much like McNorth and not Lufkin. Lobos will score and get separation and grind out the second half.

Honestly glad to see so many teams in our district playing better as a whole than last year…makes everyone in the district stronger come playoff time.

Woods will try to slow this game down as much as he can. He not really big about getting style points. He is ok winning 10-7 or 28-25 if that’s what it takes. I do think this game will be more competitive than past years and pretty fun to watch. I would be shocked if we lose by anything less than 3TDs. We just start way way too slow to keep up with y’all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Woods will try to slow this game down as much as he can. He not really big about getting style points. He is ok winning 10-7 or 28-25 if that’s what it takes. I do think this game will be more competitive than past years and pretty fun to watch. I would be shocked if we lose by anything less than 3TDs. We just start way way too slow to keep up with y’all. 

I agree…I am thinking a score similar to the McNorth game give or take a TD…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Woods is a great coach. Solid season that he has put on for JT in year one.

But the Lions are still young and have not seen anything like they're about to see Friday.

This won't be close.

I agree. This should not be close. But I will say this. JT will play hard until the final whistle is blown. That's all you can ask for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...