Carlisle (3-5) at Overton (8-0) RUSK COUNTY RIVALRY

upullinmychain

Carlisle (3-5) at Overton (8-0)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Carlisle Indians
    • Overton Mustangs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/28/2023 at 12:00 AM

31 minutes ago, pigskinbobby said:

Makes a lot of sense what you said. I hope they can win out and see what happens come playoffs. Didnt realize their passing game was so legit. 2000 yards passing in 8 games is pretty darn good!

For the playoffs they need to win both or lose both 😂 you want 1st or 3rd in this district for the best chance at getting to round 3 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 6:29 PM, CHEIFBLACKFOOT said:

Fact is in the early 90's it's not that Carlisle was really bad its that there was a slough of really good teams.  In 1992 when Overton dropped down in class, the district had 3 teams on the top 10 state ranking(Overton,Tenaha,Karnack).   Overton that year had a number of players that were All-State.  Vaughn Washington at RB & LB went on to play D1 ball at U of H. Chip Hale was a prototype QB and could sling the ball like no other. And that O-line was a set of workhorses. This will be  a good game and a do believe the rivalry is still there but i think the kiddos are a bit more civil these days. both groups see each other a lot and are close friends. Lets do it Friday night! (WEATHER PERMIT) Big chance of rain.

Yep true! I was young then but I went to all of the games dating back into the 80s. I can't recall every game but know we were in playoffs a lot. I didn't know bout being one of 3 top 10 teams that year though. Back in those days you know only the top 2 teams made playoffs; before then only district champs. My days on Varsity we were 3rd place all 4 years. 5-2 Freshman year no playoffs. 3-2 all others after smaller districts started.

V. Washington has been to a few games this year. Chip is the older brother of friend in my class. Yes, he definitely knew how to lead an offense and pick apart a defense.

The 80s-90s of Overton is the 2005-last year of Carlisle. Carlisle was a constant 3rd to 4th round playoff contender. Rocky and Clay B, HC probably be the best Carlisle ever had and possibly ever will have now that Clay has moved on up. 

I'm looking forward to a good game this week; whenever played due to the forecast. 

Go Mustangs!!!

• Love 1

On 10/24/2023 at 9:55 AM, Mr. P said:

Though undrafted, Vaughn turned down formal invitations from Dallas and New Orleans to tryout at linebacker. Said he was ready to start a family and begin a career. Today he works in the medical field, designing and building prosthetic limbs for disabled children. A helluva great guy. 

Chip had interest from Miami and Tulsa, as well as scholarship offers from LaTech, Tulane, and UNT but wasn't interested in college ball. Eventually got his degree in film and worked in Hollywood for several years. He's since returned to East Texas and is active in the local arts scene. 

The good ol Hollywood Chip. I flew out to LA in 2007 when Jake and him lived out there. My first and last trip ever out there lol. I went to the Cabana Club to see a live band that Jake worked for. Chip never forgot about where he came from; with the naming of his film business. Good info about both Vaughn and Chip's football offers. Vaughn spoke to us one offseason about his career. I couldn't recall which teams he visited and/or had invitations from. 

Edited by Stangs865040
Spelling
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Lion1996 said:

For the playoffs they need to win both or lose both 😂 you want 1st or 3rd in this district for the best chance at getting to round 3 

I'm on a roll on catching up since Monday. This is what I was looking at prior to last weeks game. If Mustangs finished 2nd in district round 2 would be vs Mart. What is the shake up on tie breakers if Overton, Carlisle and Mount E finished 3-2? 

37 minutes ago, Stangs865040 said:

I'm on a roll on catching up since Monday. This is what I was looking at prior to last weeks game. If Mustangs finished 2nd in district round 2 would be vs Mart. What is the shake up on tie breakers if Overton, Carlisle and Mount E finished 3-2? 

Don’t asked me but don’t get 2nd 😂 

you can’t rule out tenaha in that group this district looks pretty evenly matched not much difference between 5th and 1st 

Edited by Lion1996

10 hours ago, Lion1996 said:

Don’t asked me but don’t get 2nd 😂 

you can’t rule out tenaha in that group this district looks pretty evenly matched not much difference between 5th and 1st 

I’m not ruling out Tenaha. I figured they’d be 1st and possibly 3 way tie for 2nd 3rd & 4th. 

21 minutes ago, CutBlock said:

Mount has to be the surprise of the district right?? 1-9 last year?

Tenaha is too. But the biggest I’d go with overton one of their 2 wins last year was Mount in a close game. This year they have a good chance of having 10 or more wins. 

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Mount and Overton have to be the stories of the district. 

Yeah I agree with that. Didn't think about that! That is awesome. I didn't know that about Overton. I saw Mount last year and they were not real good. The fact they have beaten Carlisle is really good for them. 

Maybe they will play again!

Edited by CutBlock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue42 said:

I have to go with my Indians. I know we can score on anyone the problem is we can stop anyone if we can figure out them defensive problems we can sure make a game out of it and maybe even pull off the upset. 

May come down to who has the ball last.

• Like 1

I've been saying since last year that Overton, Cushing and Mount were all going to be much improved. Carlisle had a late in the year Coach change after many years in the same system. That's hard on the kids no matter what quality coach you have coming in. Couple that with losing a Senior offensive and defensive front along one of the a very good Senior playmaker. Just face it, it's a rebuilding period for the Indians. That being said, there is still a good residue of players on the Injuns squad. I believe the Indians will have a better chance on defense against Overton since they run the spread. The weather tomorrow will play a roll such as playing on a wet field. I would rather see a dry field so the game could better define how good the teams match up, but I do expect it to be a good game. May the officials be fair and may the best team win. Y'all keep praying for Chains boy to completely heal. 🙏 We are gonna miss his quick snaps to the the QB tomorrow.

Edited by RipperRipper
  • Like 2
  • Prayers 1

2 hours ago, RipperRipper said:

I've been saying since last year that Overton, Cushing and Mount were all going to be much improved. Carlisle had a late in the year Coach change after many years in the same system. That's hard on the kids no matter what quality coach you have coming in. Couple that with losing a Senior offensive and defensive front along one of the a very good Senior playmaker. Just face it, it's a rebuilding period for the Indians. That being said, there is still a good residue of players on the Injuns squad. I believe the Indians will have a better chance on defense against Overton since they run the spread. The weather tomorrow will play a roll such as playing on a wet field. I would rather see a dry field so the game could better define how good the teams match up, but I do expect it to be a good game. May the officials be fair and may the best team win. Y'all keep praying for Chains boy to completely heal. 🙏 We are gonna miss his quick snaps to the the QB tomorrow.

Prayers up for Chain’s son. Hope he’s having a decent week and feeling more normal. 

Edited by StingEmALTO