Last 25 years of Texas HS football..........

GNR

Has the game gotten better, or worse?  Please give some detail as why you think as you do.

Personally, I believe the game has changed drastically. Here are a few.

Cons

1. Boys don't play like they used too (soft society?). 

2. The game has been taken away from the smaller players, smaller schools (blocking below the waist/cutting, etc.), small guys cant stand up and block big guys.

3. referee shortage

Pros

1. Equipment is way better.

2. Offensive and Defensive game planning has evolved greatly.

3. HUDL has educated our players to new levels.

Just my 2 cents, lets hear it. 

1 hour ago, GNR said:

Has the game gotten better, or worse?  Please give some detail as why you think as you do.

Personally, I believe the game has changed drastically. Here are a few.

Cons

1. Boys don't play like they used too (soft society?). 

2. The game has been taken away from the smaller players, smaller schools (blocking below the waist/cutting, etc.), small guys cant stand up and block big guys.

3. referee shortage

Pros

1. Equipment is way better.

2. Offensive and Defensive game planning has evolved greatly.

3. HUDL has educated our players to new levels.

Just my 2 cents, lets hear it. 

I agree to the 1st one on the cutting rule, I think the 5 yard rule was good it was just so hard to rule on, was the cut at 5 or 5.1 yards. I get why they changed it. At least we can still cut ( a little) federation rules you can't at all. NFL they still cut and I like to see it. 

I absolutely despise the rule changes on starting the clock on out of bound plays. It takes too much actually playing time away ... all to shorten the game so the TV games can run more commercials ... this madness shouldn't be happening at the high school level or even at the college level ... teams probably lose 6-8 plays per game to this ridiculous new rule ...

Kids do not play because they have far more options. You can see that a negative if you want, but even back in the day there were plenty of kids that played who never sniffed a practice rep or the field and would have been better off playing soccer or in robotics club. 

Football is in its golden era right now. At every level of the game you can see multiple variations of how the game can be played if you know what you are looking for. This does not mean the game is softer than back in the day by any means though. There are just more coaches with the awareness that running lead 30+ times a game with kids who are not lead blockers is not a viable way of winning a game.

Within the next 25 years we will see the death of small school football 2AD1 and below as we know it. Programs that field 20 or so players in total will be forced to decide between traditionally playing 11 man ball and dropping to 6 man. I can see a scenario where the 6 man Divisions grow by and the 2A Division cutoff numbers grow considerably. We've already seen the beginning of it with Burkeville accepting its move to 6 man after years of struggling to field a competitive squad.