Playoff Sites

TrumpisDump

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

I think more funding is definitely a start...the cost to operate a school has gone up (much like the cost of everything), I'm not a math expert but if funding doesnt increase and operating costs increase there's a gap...clearly there's money available somewhere because increasing the funding allotment has been tied to the passing of vouchers...

Ok, that's fine.  But is lack of funding really how we got to where we are today?  Do we honestly believe that the problems with our public education system all come from a lack of funds?  Or is better funding for the same stuff just the definition of insanity?

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

Ok, that's fine.  But is lack of funding really how we got to where we are today?  Do we honestly believe that the problems with our public education system all come from a lack of funds?  Or is better funding for the same stuff just the definition of insanity?

I think better funding would help...many of the issues in public schools are societal issues, but that doesn't mean public schools in our state should be underfunded 

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

I think better funding would help...many of the issues in public schools are societal issues, but that doesn't mean public schools in our state should be underfunded 

Agree, but there isn't an actual definition of underfunded here. Your previous definition had to do with nationwide average, which is just an arbitrary number based on what other places are doing with no corroborating success.

10 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Definitely not a funding issue.  If I were a betting man I'd wager my right leg that we spend more dollars (inflation adjusted) per student now than we ever have, yet the results are on a downward spiral in too many schools.  We've chose to focus on too many things that used to be taken care of by parents in the home and we've also chosen to build extravagant facilities in many districts.  IMHO, anything funded by tax dollars should be adequate to meet basic needs.  I know this is old school, but old school wasn't 30+ trillion in debt.  While that's national debt, it creeps down to every level and many of our districts are in pretty deep debt too.