Playoffs ~ The Four Team Format

Ronster23

Football Playoffs ~ Four Team Format  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What are you thoughts on the four teams advancing from each disttict?

We almost All agree that by the third round,all the posers are gone,so let the kids play and after that,it gets serious and the cream has risen all the way to the top.seen the team im involved with finish fourth because of injuries,and play for regionals after they got healthy 🤷..you just never know what might have been, without that extra game to get it going...To each his own i guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the playoff team’s record isn’t posted but I quit counting at 42 teams that had 3-7,2-8 records- or worse. Tornillo at 0-9 had already forfeited. To me the UIL should carry some of the blame but hey, I am good with any of it. Let the kids play.

Some might not know that teams fight like hell to get that 4th seed so they can get in the play offs. Could be the first time ever for them to make it.  Would you deny them that chance?  Let them play.  I like the system the way it is.  Go underdogs.  Queen City Bull Dogs that is.   😎

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MuleSlicks said:

Some might not know that teams fight like hell to get that 4th seed so they can get in the play offs. Could be the first time ever for them to make it.  Would you deny them that chance?  Let them play.  I like the system the way it is.  Go underdogs.  Queen City Bull Dogs that is.   😎

Yeah, it's not like MOST of these 4th place teams didn't win a game and didn't try like hell to reach the playoffs to be able to just have a chance to go on a run.  The majority of them are excited at the chance to shock the state and knock off a #1.  Doesn't happen most of the time, but it has happened.

8 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Districts are set up to minimize travel. Those districts that have 4 teams are generally in areas where schools of the same size are hundreds of miles apart. You'd rather them have 6 teams even if the kids have to ride a bus 2+ hours each way to play a game?

I understand your argument, but I don't believe it's a matter of "false hope" these teams that squeak in the playoffs at 4 know they have a hard row to hoe. 
In your scenario above does reducing the number of teams to 2 or 3 that make the playoffs benefit either team?

im not saying reducing the teams im saying they need to win more than 1 games to get in the playoffs 

4 hours ago, Destry said:

Some of the playoff team’s record isn’t posted but I quit counting at 42 teams that had 3-7,2-8 records- or worse. Tornillo at 0-9 had already forfeited. To me the UIL should carry some of the blame but hey, I am good with any of it. Let the kids play.

Tornillo is in a 4-team district.  It's just the result of having a large state that has areas of very few schools.  I don't know what the UIL can FAIRLY do about that.  If you disqualify them, the #4 team, from the playoffs, then you disqualify the #4 team in a 9-team district that would be far more competitive in the playoffs. There isn't an easy solution, and I use the term "solution" extremely loosely because I don't see a problem.

If a team forfeits before the first round and only the first round of the playoffs, I could see allowing the #5 team in that district to take that spot as sort of a round 1 play-in game, but I don't think you can tell every 4 seed in the playoffs that they don't deserve to qualify because one of them is 0-9.

• Like 1

By my count, there were 14 #4 seeds that advanced over #1 seeds last season. That's not including 6A since #4 seeds can potentially draw a #2 or #3 seed. I like the system as it is. Some of these #4 seeds either peak towards the end of the season, or they are in highly competitive districts. 

14 minutes ago, Crawford said:

#4 seed El Campo defeated #1 seed Houston Worthing 42-14.

8 minutes ago, Crawford said:

#4 seed Alvarado defeated #1 seed Kennedale 49-27.

2A Div II through 4A Div. I   I counted 6 more games with #4 seeds defeating #1 seeds. 

We've backed into the playoffs more than once as a 3 or 4 seed, owning a losing record.  I'm not a fan of it.  I wish there was a system to have an at large invite to teams with winning records only.  But what nightmare that would be.  The two team format started my Sophomore year in 82.  We were still playing in 8 team districts so a 3-7 record meant you probably lost nearly all district games, and had basketball on the brain for the last few weeks of football season. Now, IMO,  with the 5 team districts the kids, and some coaches lower the bar on winning.  I've heard it more than once in Overton... "All we have to do is beat Mount or Cushing and we're in".   I can't stand that mindset.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MUSTANGMANIA said:

We've backed into the playoffs more than once as a 3 or 4 seed, owning a losing record.  I'm not a fan of it.  I wish there was a system to have an at large invite to teams with winning records only.  But what nightmare that would be.  The two team format started my Sophomore year in 82.  We were still playing in 8 team districts so a 3-7 record meant you probably lost nearly all district games, and had basketball on the brain for the last few weeks of football season. Now, IMO,  with the 5 team districts the kids, and some coaches lower the bar on winning.  I've heard it more than once in Overton... "All we have to do is beat Mount or Cushing and we're in".   I can't stand that mindset.  

Agree with a good deal of what you stated...

I looked at the first round of this year, only 3ADI, 3ADII, 2ADI, and 2ADII:

In 3ADI, three, fourth seeds beat the first seed

3ADII, no fourth seed won, but there was one close, the first seed won by 9 points

2ADI, no fourth seed winners but two games were close... a 2 point win and an 11 point win

2ADI, a fourth place seed beat a first place seed...and three close ones of 16, 14, and 1 point

So, even though there are blowouts, there are some that turn out to be good games, and even the fourth place seed wins sometimes.

Edited by Ronster23

On 11/8/2023 at 11:38 AM, upullinmychain said:

We almost All agree that by the third round,all the posers are gone,so let the kids play and after that,it gets serious and the cream has risen all the way to the top.seen the team im involved with finish fourth because of injuries,and play for regionals after they got healthy 🤷..you just never know what might have been, without that extra game to get it going...To each his own i guess.

Round two sometimes pits the two best teams in the Region against each other.   Depends on the bracket.  

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 8:38 PM, OLEMAN said:

I like the top two in the playoffs.  This is decided by what the district provides.  There are agreed upon tie breaker rules in place to handle ties.  That would drop the post season to 5 games. As it stands at 6 games is driven by revenue potential for all involved.  The more games the more wear and tear on the players bodies or in the worse case serious injury.  I love football and love to watch as many games as I can.  Watering down the playoffs is just not a good answer.  Sorry About being old school but I don’t believe in 4 teams in bi dist. from each district.  Unnecessary risk of injury to teams that earned their right to the playoffs during Dist. Play. My forever last comment which will not be popular.  A trophy for almost all. LOL

One more game isn't putting that much wear and tear on a 16-17 year old body.  I think they can handle the wear and tear of 1 game and this is only the case for half the schools.  The other half are sitting at home week 2.  Any school that thinks it's too much on their kids can simply opt out.  Being the 4th place team doesn't mean you have to show up.  We've seen this more than once.

I'm genuinely curious how much money people think that schools make off of playoff games. In almost every situation schools lose or barely break even up until the regional finals and semis. And even with those games you have to draw a huge crowd to offset the cost of paying for the stadium and operations. State games make more, but it is still not as large a number as people are imagining.

The larger 5A and 6A schools that can bring in thousands of fans obviously make money. But then you're talking about maybe 20-30ish schools who have large dedicated fanbases that travel well enough.