Bi District: Spring Hill vs Van

PantherNation2015

1 hour ago, BevBrownJr said:

What happened to Van last week against Bullard? Were there injuries to some Vandals which increase the chance of an upset in this one? If so, what is the probability of an upset this week by surprising Spring Hill?

Van played super conservative, Bullard schemed well on defense and made plays.  Van waited too long to start throwing the ball, and didn’t execute once they did throw it.  Bullard played like the team headed to the playoffs more than Van.  I expect that to be corrected this week.  The probability of an upset is low.  Van has more advantages.

SH defense is terrible, and they have not beat a team with a winning record all year. That changes this weekend. Both teams are coming off back to back losses, and SH and Bullard schedules look real similar in outcomes. SH lost to what I believe is an improved Gilmer team and PG, while Van lost to Bullard to end the year. SH in a shootout.

53 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

SH defense is terrible, and they have not beat a team with a winning record all year. That changes this weekend. Both teams are coming off back to back losses, and SH and Bullard schedules look real similar in outcomes. SH lost to what I believe is an improved Gilmer team and PG, while Van lost to Bullard to end the year. SH in a shootout.

Thanks for the nod!  Defense needs work for sure.  We did score 30 on PG defense last week. Most points they have given up all year to anyone. Could be a shootout.  SH will need some things to go their way but stranger things have happened.

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Van played super conservative, Bullard schemed well on defense and made plays.  Van waited too long to start throwing the ball, and didn’t execute once they did throw it.  Bullard played like the team headed to the playoffs more than Van.  I expect that to be corrected this week.  The probability of an upset is low.  Van has more advantages.

Absolutely right. Bullard came to play, and with a good game plan. Van played without any enthusiasm, had more penalties than I've seen all season and had a couple of turnovers also. Completely uncharacteristic. I'd just call it an off night, and it was the best night to have one since it made no difference in 2nd place or playoff seeding. I doubt that happens again. I think SH will come to play but Van wins by 14, maybe 21.

5 minutes ago, Vandalman said:

Absolutely right. Bullard came to play, and with a good game plan. Van played without any enthusiasm, had more penalties than I've seen all season and had a couple of turnovers also. Completely uncharacteristic. I'd just call it an off night, and it was the best night to have one since it made no difference in 2nd place or playoff seeding. I doubt that happens again. I think SH will come to play but Van wins by 14, maybe 21.

I agree.  If both teams play to their potential is could be a good game.  But no doubt Van should be the favorite.  I think 14-21 margin is fair.  Anything less would indicate Van’s issues last week spilled over into this week.

1 minute ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I agree.  If both teams play to their potential is could be a good game.  But no doubt Van should be the favorite.  I think 14-21 margin is fair.  Anything less would indicate Van’s issues last week spilled over into this week.

I could be wrong too. We are, after all, talking about teenagers.🤣

I'm concerned about the psychological aspect of whether or not Spring Hill can come back after after having 70 points scored on them last week, and close to 60 the week before that! Van is a tough team and will dominate this game early if our defense doesn't get better! I hope we can win this game and move on, but we'll see! 

8 hours ago, Panther89 said:

I'm concerned about the psychological aspect of whether or not Spring Hill can come back after after having 70 points scored on them last week, and close to 60 the week before that! Van is a tough team and will dominate this game early if our defense doesn't get better! I hope we can win this game and move on, but we'll see! 

There’s hope. Center gave up a combined 128 points during a two-game stretch last month and came back to beat Bullard the next week. (As you may recall, Bullard is the same team that last week upset Van.)

10 hours ago, Panther89 said:

Food for thought Panther89 - Spring Hill gave up 64 & 66 respectively to start the year, and followed that with an upset of Gladewater on the road.  Then allowed 66 to Tyler Grace and followed that up with three straight  district wins to clinch the 3rd seed.  I don’t think giving up 59 & 70 to two top 10 teams in 4A D2 to finish out district play is going to have an impact on this game.

12 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Food for thought Panther89 - Spring Hill gave up 64 & 66 respectively to start the year, and followed that with an upset of Gladewater on the road.  Then allowed 66 to Tyler Grace and followed that up with three straight  district wins to clinch the 3rd seed.  I don’t think giving up 59 & 70 to two top 10 teams in 4A D2 to finish out district play is going to have an impact on this game.

Yes. Y’all are used to to giving up lots of points. That has no effect on your team 

• Roll Eyes 1

The SH coaches have done a great job preparing the offense this year.

The defense is still struggling but they have been tweaking it all year to work the best with what they have.  I'm looking forward to seeing the kids give their best effort tonight and being mentally tough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Acewell said:

The SH coaches have done a great job preparing the offense this year.

The defense is still struggling but they have been tweaking it all year to work the best with what they have.  I'm looking forward to seeing the kids give their best effort tonight and being mentally tough.

Win or lose.  Just play the game and let the chips fall.