Jump to content

AREA ROUND: Lindale (7-4) vs Iowa Colony (11-0)


GoodOleBoy73

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

So Iowa Colony's opponents are averaging 3 turnovers per game? Sounds like it could be good defense...or sloppy play from their opponents. 

Averaging 3 takeaways and almost 4 sacks per game is definitely a recipe for success...

This is certainly an area in which IC's weak schedule can skew stats. So rather than looking at totals, looking at a few specific games may be more insightful. Even then, we all know stats only tell a part of the story. 

Columbia is not a passing team in general, so it generally gives up a pretty small number of INTs - 6 in total all season, 3 against IC (and Columbia only completed 5 passes to its own players in that game).

Navasota is a more balanced offense. Navasota has also thrown 6 INTs all season, and 3 of them were against IC.

Stafford is pretty balanced. Its starting QB threw 6 INTs on the season, 2 against IC.

Bay City has more passing than rushing yards on the season, and has thrown 6 INTs, 3 of them against IC.

Needville is a heavy run team (3600 rushing yards vs 1200 passing). Four INTs on the season, one of those against IC.

Across those 5 teams and a total of 50 games, they through 28 total INTs - about one every other game. Their five games against IC resulted in 12 of the 28 - over 40%.

Yes, I'm a stats geek. It gives me something to do during Teams calls. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, rhboiler said:

This is certainly an area in which IC's weak schedule can skew stats. So rather than looking at totals, looking at a few specific games may be more insightful. Even then, we all know stats only tell a part of the story. 

Columbia is not a passing team in general, so it generally gives up a pretty small number of INTs - 6 in total all season, 3 against IC (and Columbia only completed 5 passes to its own players in that game).

Navasota is a more balanced offense. Navasota has also thrown 6 INTs all season, and 3 of them were against IC.

Stafford is pretty balanced. Its starting QB threw 6 INTs on the season, 2 against IC.

Bay City has more passing than rushing yards on the season, and has thrown 6 INTs, 3 of them against IC.

Needville is a heavy run team (3600 rushing yards vs 1200 passing). Four INTs on the season, one of those against IC.

Across those 5 teams and a total of 50 games, they through 28 total INTs - about one every other game. Their five games against IC resulted in 12 of the 28 - over 40%.

Yes, I'm a stats geek. It gives me something to do during Teams calls. 

Nice breakdown! Appreciate your insight, especially since I know very little about Iowa Colony. Only game film I have seen on them is the Needville game on Youtube. They seem to be very athletic, but they do not seem any more athletic than Kilgore, Chapel Hill, or Palestine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Nice breakdown! Appreciate your insight, especially since I know very little about Iowa Colony. Only game film I have seen on them is the Needville game on Youtube. They seem to be very athletic, but they do not seem any more athletic than Kilgore, Chapel Hill, or Palestine. 

And I have no idea how to compare them, since I've not seen Kilgore, TCH, Palestine, or Lindale. Main benchmarks I have are from watching Manvel and Shadow Creek over the years. I had no expectation that a 9th & 10th grade team would compete at all when I went to the first IC game last year. After that game, I expected them to win district this year. IC has a several players that could be regulars at SC or Manvel, even as sophs.

TexanLive has seven additional IC games. I think you can get a subscription just for the playoffs or for a month. Hudl has highlights for each game, but they are only a couple minutes long. And you probably already knew that. 

I found TCH/Kilgore and TCH/Lindale on TexanLive. I'm going to watch those this evening. 

In the IC/Needville game, 9:53 in the 1st, IC's freshman QB rolls right, considers a pitch to the RB, keeps it, Needville #29 grabs his arm as he is running past him causing the QB to drop the ball. The freshman calmly picks it up on its bounce, dances around to the right, circles back to the left and turns a near-turnover into a 10 yard gain. Pretty calm for a freshman (25 with the late-hit PF added on). A Mahomes-esque type of play. 

Did you ever see Mahomes play at Whitehouse?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rhboiler said:

And I have no idea how to compare them, since I've not seen Kilgore, TCH, Palestine, or Lindale. Main benchmarks I have are from watching Manvel and Shadow Creek over the years. I had no expectation that a 9th & 10th grade team would compete at all when I went to the first IC game last year. After that game, I expected them to win district this year. IC has a several players that could be regulars at SC or Manvel, even as sophs.

TexanLive has seven additional IC games. I think you can get a subscription just for the playoffs or for a month. Hudl has highlights for each game, but they are only a couple minutes long. And you probably already knew that. 

I found TCH/Kilgore and TCH/Lindale on TexanLive. I'm going to watch those this evening. 

In the IC/Needville game, 9:53 in the 1st, IC's freshman QB rolls right, considers a pitch to the RB, keeps it, Needville #29 grabs his arm as he is running past him causing the QB to drop the ball. The freshman calmly picks it up on its bounce, dances around to the right, circles back to the left and turns a near-turnover into a 10 yard gain. Pretty calm for a freshman (25 with the late-hit PF added on). A Mahomes-esque type of play. 

Did you ever see Mahomes play at Whitehouse?

We used to be in WH district 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rhboiler said:

And I have no idea how to compare them, since I've not seen Kilgore, TCH, Palestine, or Lindale. Main benchmarks I have are from watching Manvel and Shadow Creek over the years. I had no expectation that a 9th & 10th grade team would compete at all when I went to the first IC game last year. After that game, I expected them to win district this year. IC has a several players that could be regulars at SC or Manvel, even as sophs.

TexanLive has seven additional IC games. I think you can get a subscription just for the playoffs or for a month. Hudl has highlights for each game, but they are only a couple minutes long. And you probably already knew that. 

I found TCH/Kilgore and TCH/Lindale on TexanLive. I'm going to watch those this evening. 

In the IC/Needville game, 9:53 in the 1st, IC's freshman QB rolls right, considers a pitch to the RB, keeps it, Needville #29 grabs his arm as he is running past him causing the QB to drop the ball. The freshman calmly picks it up on its bounce, dances around to the right, circles back to the left and turns a near-turnover into a 10 yard gain. Pretty calm for a freshman (25 with the late-hit PF added on). A Mahomes-esque type of play. 

Did you ever see Mahomes play at Whitehouse?

Yes unfortunately we played against Mahomes. It was never pretty lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2023 at 8:40 PM, rhboiler said:

We are virtual neighbors. Assuming you are in the Meridiana or Sterling Lakes area.

Meridiana. Hello neighbor!

I think both of these offenses will score regularly outside turnovers or poor discipline with penalties killing a drive.

I think coach Garza can be too conservative on 4th down sometimes. He'll punt when he shouldn't. 4th and 4 on opposing 40 is not a punting situation with that IC offense.

Lindale will need to at least threaten to throw. IC's run defense can be beaten, but not if you don't make them respect the pass. They will run blitz hard and with alot of speed if you don't back them off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TCUdad said:

Meridiana. Hello neighbor!

I think both of these offenses will score regularly outside turnovers or poor discipline with penalties killing a drive.

I think coach Garza can be too conservative on 4th down sometimes. He'll punt when he shouldn't. 4th and 4 on opposing 40 is not a punting situation with that IC offense.

Lindale will need to at least threaten to throw. IC's run defense can be beaten, but not if you don't make them respect the pass. They will run blitz hard and with alot of speed if you don't back them off.

Teams have been trying to stop Lindale’s run game all year and they just can’t. Every team we have played knows exactly what Lindale is gonna do(run Clint Thurman up the middle) but Lindale’s big o line pushes the defense back to where Thurman gets at the very least 3 to 4 yards on almost every play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jakeelee05 said:

Teams have been trying to stop Lindale’s run game all year and they just can’t. Every team we have played knows exactly what Lindale is gonna do(run Clint Thurman up the middle) but Lindale’s big o line pushes the defense back to where Thurman gets at the very least 3 to 4 yards on almost every play. 

Kilgore gave him all the yards he wanted they didn't let him cross the goal line. Yards don't win games you need more points scored on the scoreboard than the other team to win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WhoamI97539 said:

Kilgore gave him all the yards he wanted they didn't let him cross the goal line. Yards don't win games you need more points scored on the scoreboard than the other team to win. 

The only reason Lindale didn’t cross the goal line more was because they tried to pass and Kilgore’s pass defense is second to none. Lindale was moving the ball with no problem while they were running it but as soon as they tried to pass the drive stalled. If they had just kept running that game would have been a lot closer. Now that being said I absolutely believe Kilgore had the better team and would have still won, just not by as much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Jakeelee05 said:

The only reason Lindale didn’t cross the goal line more was because they tried to pass and Kilgore’s pass defense is second to none. Lindale was moving the ball with no problem while they were running it but as soon as they tried to pass the drive stalled. If they had just kept running that game would have been a lot closer. Now that being said I absolutely believe Kilgore had the better team and would have still won, just not by as much

I don't remember that I just don't understand why Lindale was running so well but when close to the end zone they say hey let's try scoring by throwing. We will run all the way down there but when we get close let's throw? Is that what your saying happened when y'all couldn't score don't understand why not just run the ball in? Well at least that's what I saw it just didn't work because the Kilgore D was not letting them in the end zone. 

Edited by WhoamI97539
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WhoamI97539 said:

I don't remember that I just don't understand why Lindale was running so well but when close to the end zone they say hey let's try scoring by throwing. We will run all the way down there but when we get close let's throw? Is that what your saying happened when y'all couldn't score don't understand why not just run the ball in? Well at least that's what I saw it just didn't work because the Kilgore D was not letting them in the end zone. 

Lindale turned the ball over when attempting to throw either by interception or turnover on downs. There were several drives where they should have "ran the dang ball" lol Also, Kilgore killed us on special teams 😕

I agree with Jakeelee05....Kilgore definitely out played Lindale but i feel the game "could" have been closer if we had ran the ball in certain situations. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, WhoamI97539 said:

I don't remember that I just don't understand why Lindale was running so well but when close to the end zone they say hey let's try scoring by throwing. We will run all the way down there but when we get close let's throw? Is that what your saying happened when y'all couldn't score don't understand why not just run the ball in? Well at least that's what I saw it just didn't work because the Kilgore D was not letting them in the end zone. 

This is correct. Now I’m not saying it was always in the red zone. There were times we would be driving good and get on y’all’s end of the field but not in the red zone and then stall out because we tried to pass. The problem was Lindale was getting about 3 to 4 yards on most carries so they needed every down to convert. So when they tried passing and it didn’t work they wasted a down and ended up stalling 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...