Regional Semis #4 Iowa Colony vs #6 Chapel Hill Bulldogs

Chill5000

Thoughts? This game will be played once again in the opponents backyard. Woodforest stadium in the woodlands . Seems CH enjoys this. Chapel Hill looks  to have their hands full with this one. Iowa seems like the real deal beating Lindale. CH defense is playing much better at a good time.

Edited by Chill5000

12 minutes ago, Chill5000 said:

Thoughts? This game will be played once again in the opponents backyard. Woodforest stadium in the woodlands . Seems CH enjoys this. Chapel Hill looks  to have their hands full with this one. Iowa seems like the real deal beating Lindale. CH defense is playing much better at a good time.

Speed will be matched for sure. Only thing I’m worried is our secondary might sleep on some big plays. Our Rush defense is solid though. 

Brisban needs to settle in the pocket and make some great throws to match theirs. 

IC does a good job passing the ball in short yardage and extending plays. For sure, winner of this game will be hard to beat. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LilBroKevTEN said:

Speed will be matched for sure. Only thing I’m worried is our secondary might sleep on some big plays. Our Rush defense is solid though. 

Brisban needs to settle in the pocket and make some great throws to match theirs. 

IC does a good job passing the ball in short yardage and extending plays. For sure, winner of this game will be hard to beat. 

Glad to see the coaching staff implement the rollout and screen passes more. Brisbon is not comfortable as a drop back/pocket QB. Every pass play should be a play action with a RPO IMHO. Play to his strengths. 

Edited by CHDog77

IC takes it in a close one. Looking forward to seeing how these teams plan for each other, I think they are fairly similar on offense. The ultimate tell will be whether or not CH’s offense can creatively scheme their guys open in the passing game, IC has a knack for making the opposing QB’s life hell.

IC’s secondary is very good. They have great range and can cover ground quickly. They are definitely ball hawks. Brisbone will definitely have to be careful with the ball. Should be an outstanding game with two very similar teams. Almost mirror images of each other but I’d liken IC more to Kilgore - but I say that having not seen TCH since the Athens game. Their defense seems to have found something. Should be a classic. 

20 minutes ago, rhboiler said:

IC turned them into one. Thurman had 40 yards on 17 carries (2.3ypc). He 2024 yards on 284 carries for the season (7.1ypc).

It may have been the only game that Thurman passed more times than he ran.

This is absolutely true. They had Thurman dead to rights. He couldn’t do anything. Not only does IC have some ball hawks they swarm to the ball and tackle very well. Some of the best tackling I’ve seen in a while. I just don’t see CH being able to pull this one out. I could wrong but I just feel IC will be too much

9 hours ago, Jakeelee05 said:

This is absolutely true. They had Thurman dead to rights. He couldn’t do anything. Not only does IC have some ball hawks they swarm to the ball and tackle very well. Some of the best tackling I’ve seen in a while. I just don’t see CH being able to pull this one out. I could wrong but I just feel IC will be too much

At this point CH has to stick with what got them there.  I don’t see them being successful at implementing a new offensive philosophy in one week.  Maybe rework some blocking schemes and add in some new setup plays.  CH typically plays better and better as the playoffs progress.  I’m hopeful they can limit penalties, break some big plays, and make a few stops on defense.  At this point in the season if a game is close, one or two plays decides a win or loss.  One holding call, fumble, missed tackle could send you to basketball.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rhboiler said:

IC turned them into one. Thurman had 40 yards on 17 carries (2.3ypc). He 2024 yards on 284 carries for the season (7.1ypc).

It may have been the only game that Thurman passed more times than he ran.

Even if the run game isn’t as productive as normal, I don’t see CH throwing the ball much at all.  I’ve seen them down in enough big games to know that they will still rely on the run game.  If it means they lose then so be it, but if you can’t win doing what you’re good at, you probably won’t win doing what you struggle with.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

Even if the run game isn’t as productive as normal, I don’t see CH throwing the ball much at all.  I’ve seen them down in enough big games to know that they will still rely on the run game.  If it means they lose then so be it, but if you can’t win doing what you’re good at, you probably won’t win doing what you struggle with.  

I was glad to see more rollout and screen passes this week. Rickey demands so much attention the play action should be the only pass we run.....ever. Jmo 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CHDog77 said:

I was glad to see more rollout and screen passes this week. Rickey demands so much attention the play action should be the only pass we run.....ever. Jmo 

I prefer Kilgore's qb on the move as well. The defense has to respect that ability to run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KildogDad said:

I prefer Kilgore's qb on the move as well. The defense has to respect that ability to run.

Exactly. In addition, Brisbon is not comfortable as a drop back/pocket passer. You can see it in his body language. Gotta play to their strengths 💪 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

Notice the score and what CH was doing to get chunk plays and score. At one point it was 20-7 LBJ and CH was still committed to establishing a run game.   

Not a great example. That 20-7 score was early in the second quarter and lasted all of 10 seconds. Game was back and forth after that, with CH blowing an 11 point lead in the last few minutes.

How about this year? CH trailing Lindale and runs pass plays over 60% of the time in the second half. And against Kilgore, once Kilgore is up by two scores, CH again passes over 60% of the time. 

Lindale and Kilgore both turned CH into a passing team. And CH lost both games.