#1 Carthage vs. #3 Pleasant Grove(2 p.m, Friday @ Longview Pine Tree)

99probs

Carthage Bulldogs vs. Pleasant Grove Hawks(2:00 @ Pine Tree in Longview)  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Carthage
    • Pleasant Grove

This poll is closed to new votes

12 minutes ago, Doomer said:

If a real Bulldawg and Hawk did the battle at midfield for 48 minutes I think you'd need like somekinda zamboni vacuum machine to cleanup a spifload of feathers. Just sayin

For me to watch that for 48 minutes, I would need a pint of your squeezins.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Pine Tree is getting two really big games Fri.  They were willing to do what LISD and Lobo would not.  The stadium is big enough and if they put some extra effort in the way of opening all entrances, extra security, extra ticket help, and extra concession help, they might get another big game next week.

It depends on what you call big enough. If this crowd turns out to be in comparison of the crowd they had when Gilmer and Atlanta played there years ago It’s nowhere near enough seating. Of course, you can open up the end zone where they can sit on the hill stand around the fences. Yeah it’s big enough to hold most any crowd, but the majority of the people like to go and have a seat. Also the traffic getting in and out of there can be a nightmare and with another game after this one people better hope this game doesn’t run overtime. 

not sure what is going on over in Longview, because this is very unusual for them like I said in an earlier post, they always host games even when the Lobos are playing and there’s been several years where they even host a game on Thanksgiving evening. 

yeah, it’s nice to have it here in Longview but unless a lot of the neutral fans, choose to stay home it’s not gonna be the most comfortable experience for a lot of the fans better get there early early. Even Hallsville would’ve been a better option

• Like 1

Stadium location - Is this  game more important for the fans, coaches, or players ?  My opinion the players come first, then coaches/fans can be considered next together.  
For the players - HUGE dressing rooms that they enjoy, the playing surface is top notch, and the atmosphere will be great - they will be happy playing at P  T                Coaches - dressing facilities big and they are treated fine.

Fans - 2:00 game means probably 20-30% of them can’t get off work, so P T stands might hold everyone……Carthage and P G fans that are able to go to the game already have purchased their tickets and they are way more important than neutral fans. And once fans have a seat tomorrow, the setup at P T is great. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Stadium location - Is this  game more important for the fans, coaches, or players ?  My opinion the players come first, then coaches/fans can be considered next together.  
For the players - HUGE dressing rooms that they enjoy, the playing surface is top notch, and the atmosphere will be great - they will be happy playing at P  T                Coaches - dressing facilities big and they are treated fine.

Fans - 2:00 game means probably 20-30% of them can’t get off work, so P T stands might hold everyone……Carthage and P G fans that are able to go to the game already have purchased their tickets and they are way more important than neutral fans. And once fans have a seat tomorrow, the setup at P T is great. 

Longview and Tyler have nice dressing rooms and playing field. They also have alot more seating. If they could have possibly played at one of those places, it would have been a win situation for everyone. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Is he kin to the Gilmer radio announcers? 😂

Very good chance...........New age of football ------if you are a 5'10" 180 lb linebacker  that runs a 4.8 or a 5'5" 150 lb DB and run a 4.5, Alabama and Georgia are offering you a scholarship.

• LOL! 1

32 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

P G guy on Facebook has set us straight……Not 9 Div 1 players for P G ……It is 10. 

Everybody thinks kids are D1 nowadays, especially some parents. PG has 4 kids that will sign with Power 5 schools…Johnson - AR, Hackleman - OSU, McFadden - Duke, and Jackson - ?. Boardley de-committed from OSU, not sure if he plays Power 5 football or not. He did receive an AR State offer. After that, a few have DIII, DII or FCS offers. I will add PG coaches do a great job of getting kids exposure. 

• Like 3

I’ve gotten the drift there’s a little saltiness from some PG fans toward Carthage, but definitely not here on SDC.

Carthage does not run the score up on anyone, ever and is not a dirty team, by any means.

We’re very proud of the way our boys play.

We only ever have any skirmishes with two opponents and it’s not every year, but it’s always only the same two teams and Pleasant Grove is not one of them.

PG has a lot of very talented players and have played very well this year.

People pointing to their struggles in the first game of the season need to remember it was in fact the very first time they faced another team, and that other team is no slouch.

Now, I do believe our DL will have success tomorrow.  
If folks think PG defensive backs have an advantage against our receivers I believe they’re sorely mistaken. 
There does seem to be a good bit of momentum out there in the thought PG is going to win this game, and maybe even in convincing fashion.

That idea is not just coming from PG fans, but Texas high school football fans in general.

We shall see, but Carthage has Surratt, Preston and fantastic players across the board.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, swaha said:

Everybody thinks kids are D1 nowadays, especially some parents. PG has 4 kids that will sign with Power 5 schools…Johnson - AR, Hackleman - OSU, McFadden - Duke, and Jackson - ?. Boardley de-committed from OSU, not sure if he plays Power 5 football or not. He did receive an AR State offer. After that, a few have DIII, DII or FCS offers. I will add PG coaches do a great job of getting kids exposure. 

Agree, this D1 business is ridiculous.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’ve gotten the drift there’s a little saltiness from some PG fans toward Carthage, but definitely not here on SDC.

Carthage does not run the score up on anyone, ever and is not a dirty team, by any means.

We only ever have any skirmishes with two opponents and it’s not every year, but it’s always only the same two teams and Pleasant Grove is not one of them.

People pointing to their struggles in the first game of the season need to remember it was in fact the very first time they faced another team, and that other team is no slouch.

If folks think PG defensive backs have an advantage against our receivers I believe they’re sorely mistaken. 
There does seem to be a good bit of momentum out there in the thought PG is going to win this game, and maybe even in convincing fashion.

That idea is not just coming from PG fans, but Texas high school football fans in general.

We shall see, but Carthage has Surratt, Preston and fantastic players across the board.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!

I think most neutral fans just want someone to beat Carthage and end the winning streak.  PG has a really good team and look to be one of the few that can end that streak.  But if they do, it won’t be in convincing fashion.  Just look at history and you can see double digit losses rarely occur under this Carthage staff.  A PG win will be a nail biter.

42 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!

PG is definitely the "sexy" pick at this point. They have been very convincing with their victories in the playoffs. 
This Carthage team is young, and I think a lot of people think this will catch up to the Dawgs. But let's remember that this staff is no stranger to playoff runs. The young Surratt saw time last year in the playoffs as a freshmen and so did a few others. So if you think a lack of experience is going to be a problem, I don't think it will.

Should be a great game. I will ride with the Dawgs till someone proves me wrong!

• Like 2

I am a homer Dawg fan but I am a student of the game. Center making his first start going against the best D line in 4A football is a lot to ask of a player. Those two  190 pound tackles have never faced 54, 72, and 70 unless they started last year is going to be a very tuff assignment. The Dawg linebackers have been tackling machines that are bigger than the two tackles of PG. 

The Dawg O line is as good as it gets in 4A and will move the ball on PG. 

I believe the Dawgs can and will beat PG. I do understand that PG can beat the Dawgs if they don’t play a good game with no turnovers and penalties. 

6 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

PG is definitely the "sexy" pick at this point. They have been very convincing with their victories in the playoffs. 
This Carthage team is young, and I think a lot of people think this will catch up to the Dawgs. But let's remember that this staff is no stranger to playoff runs. The young Surratt saw time last year in the playoffs as a freshmen and so did a few others. So if you think a lack of experience is going to be a problem, I don't think it will.

Should be a great game. I will ride with the Dawgs till someone proves me wrong!

Good post…….Young/inexperience is out the window after 12 games.  Will those jrs and sophs be bigger and faster next year, probably so.   But inexperience will not be an excuse if P G wins. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I am a homer Dawg fan but I am a student of the game. Center making his first start going against the best D line in 4A football is a lot to ask of a player. Those two  190 pound tackles have never faced 54, 72, and 70 unless they started last year is going to be a very tuff assignment. The Dawg linebackers have been tackling machines that are bigger than the two tackles of PG. 

The Dawg O line is as good as it gets in 4A and will move the ball on PG. 

I believe the Dawgs can and will beat PG. I do understand that PG can beat the Dawgs if they don’t play a good game with no turnovers and penalties. 

C&C - the PG OL are all Sr’s, unless the Center can’t go and his replacement is a Soph.  The backup is a big ‘ole boy but man that’s a tough ask to go head up vs a 300+ lb DT every snap, get the OL blocking scheme called, get the snap back to the QB, and then go block.  it’s a defining moment for sure.

6 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Do any of these players not play both ways?

Even if they do, the Dawgs have to make them pay for it. If they are linemen, we have to wear them out running the ball. Skill players are a little harder to wear down. Sustained drives on offense will be the key. If Carthage can't sustain drives, the fact that they play both sides of the ball won't be a big deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Do any of these players not play both ways?

Good question. I would say the majority of games this years, most of these guys did not go both ways and/or had A LOT of rest time.

Obviously all hands on deck this game so 🤷

#8 PG standout, not listed