REGIONAL FINAL: CARTHAGE vs. GILMER @ Rose Stadium in Friday at 7 PM

RETIREDFAN1

Carthage vs. Gilmer   

117 members have voted

1. 1. Regional Finals

This poll is closed to new votes

21 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Last yr game was actually pretty good, I believe we were down 14-7 in the fourth playing with our WR as QB. If you go look at the game our offensive line held up pretty good better than what I thought they could.

Yeah yall were alot better defensively last year especially on the front 7 but this game technically is not a rivalry game but way kids get worked up for it each year it seems that way

Edited by bansheefan03

7 hours ago, bansheefan03 said:

I know gilmer and pg will be glad they can go back to dominating region 2 again since we're gone seen they r moving down some big names too brownwood,china town and lavega sorry lionfan henderson didn't make the cut for notable move downs lol

Buying our time.

I'm born and raised in Gilmer and played for Gilmer.

Got a job in Carthage this year and moved here. Just like most small East Texas towns, Carthage is fantastic. I've been treated like an old friend by people I would meet for the first time.

As far as criticism for bad fans.........

What's the old saying, every town has the village idiot......All East Texas towns have them, Gilmer, Carthage, Gladewater (more than most in Gladewater), etc.........

As far as this game. I've been to 3 Carthage games this year and the rest of the time I was at the Gilmer games.

Both teams have gotten better.............

Here's the thing, Carthage is loaded with Freshmen and Sophomores. This is the youngest team they have fielded since the Surratt Era, and they have done nothing but get better all season.

Gilmer has a darn good offense. TONS of Speed and Athleticism, EVEN for Gilmer. These guys are fast and athletic. Problem is the Gilmer Defense is non-existent. It has definitively gotten better, but  against weaker opponents.

Here is what I think it boils down to, Gilmer has to play their best game and Carthage has to play their worst game with multiple turnovers for Gilmer to have a CHANCE to win.

If that doesn't happen and both teams play to their capable abilities, Gilmer may be able to have the game somewhat close in the 3rd Quarter, but there is no way that I see that the Buckeye defense can stop the Carthage offense. That Bulldog O-Line is just to big and good, even thought they are so young.

Carthage should win this game, and unless Gilmer is able to break some long plays, we won't score 21 points.

If Carthage wins State this year, I think Surratt has a VERY good chance of going undefeated the next two seasons and winning two more Championships. that could be 4 straight undefeated seasons and championships.

But as all the Carthage fans know and most of the Buckeye fans know, Surratt is focused on Friday and Friday only. That's just part of why he is so damn great.

Looking forward to it on Friday. My Carthage co-workers have been so great and we have had a blast this season talking about football. I hope whoever wins this game wins State. Simple as that.

See y`all there.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

I'm born and raised in Gilmer and played for Gilmer.

Got a job in Carthage this year and moved here. Just like most small East Texas towns, Carthage is fantastic. I've been treated like an old friend by people I would meet for the first time.

As far as criticism for bad fans.........

What's the old saying, every town has the village idiot......All East Texas towns have them, Gilmer, Carthage, Gladewater (more than most in Gladewater), etc.........

As far as this game. I've been to 3 Carthage games this year and the rest of the time I was at the Gilmer games.

Both teams have gotten better.............

Here's the thing, Carthage is loaded with Freshmen and Sophomores. This is the youngest team they have fielded since the Surratt Era, and they have done nothing but get better all season.

Gilmer has a darn good offense. TONS of Speed and Athleticism, EVEN for Gilmer. These guys are fast and athletic. Problem is the Gilmer Defense is non-existent. It has definitively gotten better, but  against weaker opponents.

Here is what I think it boils down to, Gilmer has to play their best game and Carthage has to play their worst game with multiple turnovers for Gilmer to have a CHANCE to win.

If that doesn't happen and both teams play to their capable abilities, Gilmer may be able to have the game somewhat close in the 3rd Quarter, but there is no way that I see that the Buckeye defense can stop the Carthage offense. That Bulldog O-Line is just to big and good, even thought they are so young.

Carthage should win this game, and unless Gilmer is able to break some long plays, we won't score 21 points.

If Carthage wins State this year, I think Surratt has a VERY good chance of going undefeated the next two seasons and winning two more Championships. that could be 4 straight undefeated seasons and championships.

But as all the Carthage fans know and most of the Buckeye fans know, Surratt is focused on Friday and Friday only. That's just part of why he is so damn great.

Looking forward to it on Friday. My Carthage co-workers have been so great and we have had a blast this season talking about football. I hope whoever wins this game wins State. Simple as that.

See y`all there.

Carthage - doubt any freshmen see the field Friday ….Pretty sure,  only one, a RB, has played any in a first half this year(due to a couple of injuries)…….O-line is 3 juniors and 2 seniors

Edited by cotton84

13 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Carthage - doubt any freshmen see the field Friday ….Pretty sure,  only one, a RB, has played any in a first half this year(due to a couple of injuries)…….O-line is 3 juniors and 2 seniors

Agree with you for the most part. I think they have had some freshmen play a little more than that, but just the fact they are on Varsity and getting ANY playing time is amazing.

Such a talented group of kids for Carthage for the next 2/3 years!

13 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

Agree with you for the most part. I think they have had some freshmen play a little more than that, but just the fact they are on Varsity and getting ANY playing time is amazing.

Such a talented group of kids for Carthage for the next 2/3 years!

Only one freshman played any during the first 10 games - the one I mentioned.   None have played other than him with the game competitive. 
LT - Junior…..LG - Junior……Center - Junior…….RG - Senior….RT - Senior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Only one freshman played any during the first 10 games - the one I mentioned.   None have played other than him with the game competitive. 
LT - Junior…..LG - Junior……Center - Junior…….RG - Senior….RT - Senior. 

What a great group of kids

2 hours ago, metalhead10 said:

And I thought Carthage had a couple of sophomore linemen starting, Am I wrong on that?

Sophomores start at QB & RB. The backup RB (with a senior out again with an injury) who scored the winning TD last week is a sophomore, as is a TE/receiver who has been a big contributor while playing in certain packages. One of the 2 sophomores who start at OLB also plays some offense as a TE/receiver in some packages. The other starting sophomore OLB is either the leading or 2nd leading tackler on the team. Two sophomores also start in the secondary. In addition, a talented sophomore WR has missed most of the season with an injury.

Other sophomores are backups who have gotten limited action before games became blowouts and a great deal more time after games became decided.

Edited by BevBrownJr
  • Like 1

For Gilmer to even have a chance, they have to keep their own defense off the field. Gilmer goes fast and has the tendency at times to go 3 and out and only take 30 seconds off the clock. If this happens, the game will get out of hand really fast. If Gilmer can sustain drives and stop doing the bubble screen and RB screen 15 times a game against smart teams who can recognize it, then maybe they can move the ball. This is going to be a tough task and it will be interesting to see how much Gilmer's defense has improved. Surrat is looking for what his 10th ring? I'm ready for tomorrow and seeing how this game will unfold.

Man,  the Carthage/PG thread for the game last week is more alive than this one!

I think this will be a pretty good game.   I think the Dawg defense will be the difference in this one. I think there's a chance it's close at half, but Carthage pulls away in the second and wins by a couple scores.

25 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Man,  the Carthage/PG thread for the game last week is more alive than this one!

I think this will be a pretty good game.   I think the Dawg defense will be the difference in this one. I think there's a chance it's close at half, but Carthage pulls away in the second and wins by a couple scores.

Sure hope Carthage has that Tyler Officiating crew lined up.  👀