Official 2023-24 NCAA Football Championship Thread

Coach Rab

Just now, Valhalla said:

Texas has always landed elite skill talent regardless of who their coach is.

But I thought it was NIL and the transfer portal?

Either way, what I said is that what helped Texas was having a coaching staff that has developed that talent. Meaning, since MB, the previous two coaches lacked that ability, which is why Texas struggled. It wasn't for their lack of ability to 'rebuild', but their lack of ability to construct. 

Just now, Lobo97 said:

But I thought it was NIL and the transfer portal?

Either way, what I said is that what helped Texas was having a coaching staff that has developed that talent. Meaning, since MB, the previous two coaches lacked that ability, which is why Texas struggled. It wasn't for their lack of ability to 'rebuild', but their lack of ability to construct. 

You need to read better.

Where did I say that you had to have NIL to get talent?

I said it rebuilt your OL room faster than it typically would have taken.

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

You need to read better.

Where did I say that you had to have NIL to get talent?

I said it rebuilt your OL room faster than it typically would have taken.

My reading is just fine. Your initial comment to DB, which is what I responded to, simply said, "The NIL and transfer portal are finally what allowed Texas to rebuild", end quote. 

You may have added on to that when you responded to me, but that was all that you said to DB. 

No matter who the coach is it has traditionally take 2 years to start getting traction with OL recruits in high school. In Kyle Flood's first year he had two 3 star OL committed in the class of 2022 before this:

Texas Pancake Factory NIL Announcement - December 6, 2021

Kelvin Banks Jr (5 Star) - 12/11/21

Cameron Williams (3 Star) - 12/12/21

Neto Aumeozulu ( 4 Star) - 12/13/21

Malik Agbo ( 4 Star) - 12/15/21

DJ Campbell ( 5 Star) - 2/2/2022

Now would Texas have still gotten some of those anyways? Probably. Would they gotten them all? Probably not. And that is what NIL helped/changed.

Edited by Valhalla

21 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

No matter who the coach is it has traditionally take 2 years to start getting traction with OL recruits in high school. In Kyle Flood's first year he had two 3 star OL committed in the class of 2022 before this:

Texas Pancake Factory NIL Announcement - December 6, 2021

Kelvin Banks Jr (5 Star) - 12/11/21

Cameron Williams (3 Star) - 12/12/21

Neto Aumeozulu ( 4 Star) - 12/13/21

Malik Agbo ( 4 Star) - 12/15/21

DJ Campbell ( 5 Star) - 2/2/2022

Now would Texas have still gotten some of those anyways? Probably. Would they gotten them all? Probably not. And that is what NIL helped/changed.

Three of the five starting OL for Texas:

Hayden Conner

Jake Majors

Christian Jones

All 3 were at Texas prior to NIL. 

Kelvin Banks was already predicted to sign with Texas prior to the Texas OL NIL deal. A couple of the others were as well. Would they have ALL still chosen Texas had that deal not been announced? Sure, the answer to that 'could' be no, but we have no idea. What we do know, is several of them had already been crystal balled to Texas. 

Either way, the initial implication was that the NIL and transfer portal were the only reasons for why Texas has turned things around. Again, while it has helped (which I stated from the get go), it is not the primary reason. Even if your argument focuses solely on the OL, I just showed you that isn't true. 

17 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Imagine claiming beating Louisville and Duke as a quality win ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. Nerds. 

Louisville was a higher ranked victory than any win than Texas had in the Big 12.

The committee thought highly of them.

Edited by Valhalla

11 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Three of the five starting OL for Texas:

Hayden Conner

Jake Majors

Christian Jones

All 3 were at Texas prior to NIL. 

Kelvin Banks was already predicted to sign with Texas prior to the Texas OL NIL deal. A couple of the others were as well. Would they have ALL still chosen Texas had that deal not been announced? Sure, the answer to that 'could' be no, but we have no idea. What we do know, is several of them had already been crystal balled to Texas. 

Either way, the initial implication was that the NIL and transfer portal were the only reasons for why Texas has turned things around. Again, while it has helped (which I stated from the get go), it is not the primary reason. Even if your argument focuses solely on the OL, I just showed you that isn't true. 

Kudos to Herb Hand then.

The real question should be, why are we still arguing about how 'trash' of a schedule FSU played, and ignoring Michigan's? 

NO ONE seems to have a problem with Michigan being in the playoff, and not only are they, they're #1!. Everyone keeps arguing, as it relates to FSU, 'we don't want to see another TCU beatdown'. You do realize that TCU BEAT Michigan prior to their beatdown last year, right? The fact of the matter is, Michigan and Ohio State are two of the programs that get overhyped, and overrated every year, and we all know it. They don't play ANYONE except each other!

Michigan:

They played OSU and PSU. Great. PSU plays no one except OSU and MI. They lost both. 

OSU:

Same. They play no one except MI and PSU. Oh, my bad, they also played the other team that gets overhyped and overrated every year...ND. 

'But Lobo, what about the other 'ranked' team MI and PSU played?' Oh, you mean IOWA?! The team that can't score on anyone? Case and point, the ONLY two real teams Iowa played all year, MI and PSU, guess how many TOTAL points they scored against those two teams. I'll save you the trouble of looking it up.....0000000!!!!!!

You laugh at FSU's schedule, but say nothing about Michigan. I find that laughable. 

Oh, and by the way, that 'trash' Louisville team that FSU just beat with their THIRD string QB, that apparently wasn't even impressive to the committee, guess where that same committee placed Louisville in their final ranking......IN THE TOP 15!

5 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

The real question should be, why are we still arguing about how 'trash' of a schedule FSU played, and ignoring Michigan's? 

NO ONE seems to have a problem with Michigan being in the playoff, and not only are they, they're #1!. Everyone keeps arguing, as it relates to FSU, 'we don't want to see another TCU beatdown'. You do realize that TCU BEAT Michigan prior to their beatdown last year, right? The fact of the matter is, Michigan and Ohio State are two of the programs that get overhyped, and overrated every year, and we all know it. They don't play ANYONE except each other!

Michigan:

They played OSU and PSU. Great. PSU plays no one except OSU and MI. They lost both. 

OSU:

Same. They play no one except MI and PSU. Oh, my bad, they also played the other team that gets overhyped and overrated every year...ND. 

'But Lobo, what about the other 'ranked' team MI and PSU played?' Oh, you mean IOWA?! The team that can't score on anyone? Case and point, the ONLY two real teams Iowa played all year, MI and PSU, guess how many TOTAL points they scored against those two teams. I'll save you the trouble of looking it up.....0000000!!!!!!

You laugh at FSU's schedule, but say nothing about Michigan. I find that laughable. 

Oh, and by the way, that 'trash' Louisville team that FSU just beat with their THIRD string QB, that apparently wasn't even impressive to the committee, guess where that same committee placed Louisville in their final ranking......IN THE TOP 15!

Class favorites committe

29 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Imagine claiming beating Louisville and Duke as a quality win ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. Nerds. 

Louisville is still ranked as the 15th best team in the country.  Duke was the 16th ranked team in the country at the time that Florida State beat them.  However, beating LSU, who I think is probably the hottest offense in the nation for 11 out of the 12 weeks that LSU played football, may be the biggest thing to prop yourself up on.  And that is the only game that LSU scored LESS THAN 28 POINTS and one of 3 games that LSU scored LESS THAN 40 POINTS.

Also, did you know that FSU didn't have a single game where they gave up more than 30 points?  Michigan is the only other team in the top 6 that can claim that feat.  It could probably go more into the top 25, I just didn't dig that far.  

The commies looked at one injury and defined the accomplishments of an entire team based on that one event.  It is a disservice to football.

15 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Michigan:

OSU:

Michigan and Florida State defensively dominated their opponents.  No one else in the nation can claim that.

18 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Michigan:

OSU:

Remember the logic of the committee to think that the QB was so trash that they were worse than Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama, but still better than Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon etc.  It doesn't make sense.

Their Criteria would make more sense if they would have just moved FSU down to 7th.  Alabama was barely better than Georgia.  I am just confused on the logic and how the rankings came down.  Did they think they were paying respect to Florida St by putting them 5th?  The math doesn't add up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

Michigan and Florida State defensively dominated their opponents.  No one else in the nation can claim that.

And Michigan played 1 offense ranked in the Top 50; Ohio State, who ranked 33rd. 

FSU played the #1 scoring team in the country, LSU, and held them to their lowest output of the season. 

The only P5 teams whose defense ranked higher than FSU this season....MI, OSU, PSU, Iowa. All the same teams that I've already shown played no one else, and no offense that ranked inside the Top 50, outside of their own. 

• Like 1

There's one reason, and one reason ONLY that FSU did not make the playoff...

There was no way they were going to leave the SEC out. Period. 

Once Alabama beat Georgia, the debate was never between FSU and Texas. It was always the SEC vs FSU. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

There's one reason, and one reason ONLY that FSU did not make the playoff...

There was no way they were going to leave the SEC out. Period. 

Once Alabama beat Georgia, the debate was never between FSU and Texas. It was always the SEC vs FSU. 

Alabama has a GREAT resume.  I’m not taking anything away from them.  I can’t get over them completely leaving an undefeated power 5 team out of the playoffs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Michigan:

OSU:

This has been my exact thought the past few days! I get Jordan Travis' injury was the committees "out" so to speak, but I don't want to hear anyone crap on FSU and then praise Michigan for being undefeated WHILE CHEATING TO GET THERE.

• Like 1

Just now, Coach Rab said:

Alabama has a GREAT resume.  I’m not taking anything away from them.  I can’t get over them completely leaving an undefeated power 5 team out of the playoffs 

I agree 100%. 

We can argue all day about who the 4 'best' teams were, and that's all that matters. That argument is all opinionated. The only reason OSU was chosen in 2014, is because there was no way they were ever going to choose Baylor over OSU. Even still, no one thought OSU had a chance, because they had their backup QB playing. They won the NC. 

Alabama had a great season. 

Georgia had a great season. 

FSU should have been in the playoff, seeded #3, with Texas at 4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I agree 100%. 

We can argue all day about who the 4 'best' teams were, and that's all that matters. That argument is all opinionated. The only reason OSU was chosen in 2014, is because there was no way they were ever going to choose Baylor over OSU. Even still, no one thought OSU had a chance, because they had their backup QB playing. They won the NC. 

Alabama had a great season. 

Georgia had a great season. 

FSU should have been in the playoff, seeded #3, with Texas at 4. 

If there wasn’t already a playoff expansion scheduled, this year would have forced it