Official 2023-24 NCAA Football Championship Thread

Coach Rab

3 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

TCU BEAT THE #2 SEED TO MAKE IT TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME?  I MEAN WTH LOGIC IS THAT BS?!?

Huh, I thought it was great logic if someone wanted to see a decent game instead of what we all endured last year.

No doubt, everyone has their opinions that's what makes the chat on the board interesting at times.

18 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

There was no way the committee was not taking the one loss SEC champ. 

I honestly believe they would have left Texas out if Jordan Travis did not break his leg. 

Texas was in the moment Alabama beat Georgia. At that moment, it became about FSU vs the SEC. Had Georgia won, FSU would be the 4 seed. 

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Three of the five starting OL for Texas:

Hayden Conner

Jake Majors

Christian Jones

All 3 were at Texas prior to NIL. 

Kelvin Banks was already predicted to sign with Texas prior to the Texas OL NIL deal. A couple of the others were as well. Would they have ALL still chosen Texas had that deal not been announced? Sure, the answer to that 'could' be no, but we have no idea. What we do know, is several of them had already been crystal balled to Texas. 

Either way, the initial implication was that the NIL and transfer portal were the only reasons for why Texas has turned things around. Again, while it has helped (which I stated from the get go), it is not the primary reason. Even if your argument focuses solely on the OL, I just showed you that isn't true. 

NIL may have helped some just like it has at OU. I honestly think it's more of Sark and his staffs coaching and recruiting ability that has helped UT the most. Dude can flat out coach, just needs a little talent to go along with what he's trying to accomplish on offense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I will never believe that, but I don’t want to talk circles around it anymore. 

To not believe that is simply being naive. There is plenty of evidence to support that claim, just as there is plenty of evidence to support the claim it was all about FSU and the SEC, and NOT the QB. 

Had Georgia beaten Alabama, FSU would be the 4 seed. 

4 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

To not believe that is simply being naive. There is plenty of evidence to support that claim, just as there is plenty of evidence to support the claim it was all about FSU and the SEC, and NOT the QB. 

Had Georgia beaten Alabama, FSU would be the 4 seed. 

That I do believe, and said so as much on here on Sunday. 

I do not believe that a one loss SEC champion would have been left out of the top 4 in any circumstance. 

The QB just gave them an out.

Edited by Valhalla

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

That I do believe, and said so as much on here on Sunday. 

I do not believe that a one loss SEC champion would have been left out of the top 4 in any circumstance. 

The QB just gave them an out.

I do agree that the QB gave them an excuse, but not an out. Again, they can't claim it was due to the QB situation, when they put OSU in the playoff with their 3rd string QB...who went on to win it all...while also still keeping FSU above Georgia. While that gave them their excuse, they had none for putting Alabama over Texas, which is why you see Texas ranked ahead of them. 

If Travis is healthy, FSU would be 3, Texas 4, and while you'd still have plenty of people angry, the committee would be 100% justified, and no one could claim bias, or argue that they're all spineless and clueless (well, we'd still argue that, lol). 

• Like 1

I believe the way it all unfolded proves that the SEC would have been left out, if Jordan Travis were healthy. The committee was far more accepting of the backlash for leaving out an undefeated P5 team than they were had they had to leave out the SEC. They proved this when they still kept FSU at 5, over Georgia. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Huh, I thought it was great logic if someone wanted to see a decent game instead of what we all endured last year.

No doubt, everyone has their opinions that's what makes the chat on the board interesting at times.

We endured TCU beating the #2 team.  Then losing in the NC

There's one reason, and one reason ONLY that FSU did not make the playoff...

There was no way they were going to leave the SEC out. Period. 

Once Alabama beat Georgia, the debate was never between FSU and Texas. It was always the SEC vs FSU. 

Winner

There's one reason, and one reason ONLY that FSU did not make the playoff...

There was no way they were going to leave the SEC out. Period. 

Once Alabama beat Georgia, the debate was never between FSU and Texas. It was always the SEC vs FSU. 

That is truth spoken right there.....Go back throughout the history of the BCS and CFP.....if a 1 loss team has to make the playoffs, it's gonna be an SEC team. 

Take example 2017-18---Auburn beats Alabama--gives them one loss.....Georgia beats Auburn has one loss but wins the SEC championship.....yet Alabama, who did not even play in the SEC championship makes the playoffs, while an 11-1 Wisconsin sits on the sidelines.......

As Deion Sanders said "Saban is the "godfather" of college football, the committee is not going to leave them out".

If there were 4 undefeated Power 5 Conference Champions and an SEC champion with 1 loss....the SEC team is getting in, because the NCAA is chicken :poop: scared of leaving them out of the playoffs. And if they can justify 2 teams in there, they would do.......

As a coach, I can never tell my players again, work hard, do the right thing, win your games and you will get a chance to go to the playoffs......With the NCAA, it just doesn't work that way. They might as well crown the National Champion in August and allow the rest of us to watch just Pro and High School ball with real playoff systems.....Even though Texas football has too many team make the playoffs......

2 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

If there wasn’t already a playoff expansion scheduled, this year would have forced it 

And what will change next year, it'll still be as many SEC teams as they can get in, a couple of big 10 teams and leftovers for the rest....The NCAA is hypocritical, and a committee of politicians tells you all you need to know about college sports these days, it is not about the jimmys and joes, but who gets all the dough..........

49 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

And what will change next year, it'll still be as many SEC teams as they can get in, a couple of big 10 teams and leftovers for the rest....The NCAA is hypocritical, and a committee of politicians tells you all you need to know about college sports these days, it is not about the jimmys and joes, but who gets all the dough..........

I don't love 12.  I'd prefer 8 or 16.  With 8 this year, I think we would have all of the legitimate contenders each year.  Liberty would not be included in this discussion this year.

I still don't believe that any of you actually think FSU is a top 4 team in the country right now. 

I keep seeing the Ohio State reference.

Y'all do know Cardale Jones passed for 250+ and 3 tuddies and beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big 10 Championship game right? It's not even close to beating Louisville 16-6 and going 8/21 for 55 yards and no TDs. 

FSU was the only undefeated team that year too, and you know what they were ranked? #3. You know who also got the dog mess beat out of them in the 1st round of the playoffs? FSU. 

It's not close, the committee undoubtedly got it right. Make it SEC or whatever you want - rankings 5-25 don't mean anything, so they gave them #5 out of respect for being undefeated, when they're really probably a #15ish team. It was absolutely awful to watch them play Saturday against a NOT GOOD Louisville team, who didn't have a single credible win and lost to 3-9 Pitt for goodness sake. OH WOW THEY HELD LSU'S AMAZING OFFENSE TO LESS THAN 30. News flash, LSU beat 1 good team all year, and hung 190 points on teams they should actually be ashamed to even have on their schedule.

Y'all think wayyyy too highly of some of these teams. I give FSU the quality win over LSU, because I do think LSU was slightly above average this year. Duke should have never been ranked, they were never impressive and the only reason they were every ranked is because everyone thought so highly of Clemson who was not good. Duke ended 7-5. That leaves their most credible win being LSU, whom you could say the beat because of.... Jordan Travis. The man went off in the 2nd half against LSU. 

Heck, where's the justice for Liberty?? Liberty beat NMSU twice, who stomped Auburn, who absolutely blewwwww the Bama game. Give me Liberty, or give me death. 

• Stinks 1

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

It couldn't possibly be because there just happens to be better teams in those conferences. There's no way. 

32 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It couldn't possibly be because there just happens to be better teams in those conferences. There's no way. 

Gosh, It would seem that the entire season should matter, but not to those who believe that the SEC is the "god" of conferences. Alabama lost, Texas lost, yet they make a "beauty pageant", not because the deserve it, but because they can't leave the SEC out of the playoffs. It would be bad for the back pockets of those on the committee and those behind the scenes........just goes to show, like everything else in America these day, everything has a price......College Football, the price is whatever the SEC says it is.....Such a wonderful thing to say this year, considering that the SEC has a losing record against the ACC and the Big 12, but I guess it's just a down year for those guys, but the committee made up for it.....

1 hour ago, Coach Rab said:

I don't love 12.  I'd prefer 8 or 16.  With 8 this year, I think we would have all of the legitimate contenders each year.  Liberty would not be included in this discussion this year.

A real playoff has the NCAA taking charge, dropping 3 schools from the ranks, dividing the rest into 13 divisions of 10.....having an 11 game schedule, 2 non conference games, 9 division games. winners go to the playoffs, next 3 best records go based on head to head, points differentials, etc....that's 16 teams, winners go, losers stay home, and use the bowl games for rounds of the playoffs......the NCAA would make more money....the TV revenues would go through the roof.....Now, most people won't watch but maybe 1 or 2 games during the entire bowl season......No reason, the committee just picked their winners and losers, kind of like the government.....:rofl:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Gosh, It would seem that the entire season should matter, but not to those who believe that the SEC is the "god" of conferences. Alabama lost, Texas lost, yet they make a "beauty pageant", not because the deserve it, but because they can't leave the SEC out of the playoffs. It would be bad for the back pockets of those on the committee and those behind the scenes........just goes to show, like everything else in America these day, everything has a price......College Football, the price is whatever the SEC says it is.....Such a wonderful thing to say this year, considering that the SEC has a losing record against the ACC and the Big 12, but I guess it's just a down year for those guys, but the committee made up for it.....

Why does going undefeated in the weakest power 5 conference cause you to DESERVE it? Not because you belong there, but because it's "owed" to you. If every power 5 winner went undefeated, someone would still be left out. When people DESERVE to get in, rather than actually being a top 4 team, you get 40 point blowouts, and that's exactly what would happen. It's already happened to FSU before. It's not good for the CFP, it's not good for the fans, and it's just not good football, plain and simple. 

The question is simple, is FSU better than any of the other teams 1-6? Have they done something to make you believe they're good enough to beat any of those 5 teams? That's the question that you have to ask yourself instead of just looking at some bogus inflated record. 

Just now, H3llR4z0r said:

instead of just looking at some bogus inflated record. 

Then why in the heck is Michigan in the final 4.....talking about inflated---East Carolina, UNLV, Bowling Green, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan State......yet and undefeated team, who beat OSU and PSU is ranked.....definitely an inflated record. 

And look at Alabama's cupcake schedule....Middle Tennessee State, Chattanooga, South Florida, Miss St, Auburn, Kentucky, Ark, A&M.....all powerhouses there......and your best answer is Kentucky beat Louisville.....but Alabama has a loss,

FSU might not look great at this time, but they had a month to prepare, to practice, to get somethings worked out, and they went the ENTIRE year without losing.....something 2 of the 4 teams in the "beauty pageant" can't say......I guess next year, we just have Boo and the committee pick the final 12 before the start of the season, and tell everyone to come back and watch in December......sportsmanship and doing your job for 13 weeks doesn't matter, you sound like the Obama administration.....pick the winners and losers....SMH

3 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

8.  16 is too many.  Anything that offers byes is stupid.  PLAYoffs bot BYEoffs.  16 also would allow 2-3 loss teams in

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I still don't believe that any of you actually think FSU is a top 4 team in the country right now. 

I keep seeing the Ohio State reference.

Y'all do know Cardale Jones passed for 250+ and 3 tuddies and beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big 10 Championship game right? It's not even close to beating Louisville 16-6 and going 8/21 for 55 yards and no TDs. 

FSU was the only undefeated team that year too, and you know what they were ranked? #3. You know who also got the dog mess beat out of them in the 1st round of the playoffs? FSU. 

It's not close, the committee undoubtedly got it right. Make it SEC or whatever you want - rankings 5-25 don't mean anything, so they gave them #5 out of respect for being undefeated, when they're really probably a #15ish team. It was absolutely awful to watch them play Saturday against a NOT GOOD Louisville team, who didn't have a single credible win and lost to 3-9 Pitt for goodness sake. OH WOW THEY HELD LSU'S AMAZING OFFENSE TO LESS THAN 30. News flash, LSU beat 1 good team all year, and hung 190 points on teams they should actually be ashamed to even have on their schedule.

Y'all think wayyyy too highly of some of these teams. I give FSU the quality win over LSU, because I do think LSU was slightly above average this year. Duke should have never been ranked, they were never impressive and the only reason they were every ranked is because everyone thought so highly of Clemson who was not good. Duke ended 7-5. That leaves their most credible win being LSU, whom you could say the beat because of.... Jordan Travis. The man went off in the 2nd half against LSU. 

Heck, where's the justice for Liberty?? Liberty beat NMSU twice, who stomped Auburn, who absolutely blewwwww the Bama game. Give me Liberty, or give me death. 

So the committee needs to tell us style points do matter