State Championships and Bally Sports future

Mavchamp

Bally Sports has been a colossal failure for many fans nationwide...including those in North Texas.

No deals with the majority of streaming services (Hulu, Youtube).... unavailability on many cable outlets.

Rangers, Mavericks, and Stars games have been difficult to find for a lotta folks.

UIL state championships are no exception.  Anyone that doesn't have Bally on their cable....or doesn't have Fubo or Direct streaming is left out in the cold.

Now Bally is saying they will likely cease operations next September with the conclusion of the MLB season.

What then?  Who picks up the state championship games then?

Will another RSN step up?  Or could it go back to the way it was back in the day when a local DFW station distributed Ranger and Mav games.  Same with the state championships.

I don't have Bally since I switched to Youtube (I dumped Direct because of the Fox51 debacle).

Now....I have the Dallas games.....but nothing for HSFB.

Very frustrating.

• Like 2

Honestly it all depends on who steps up and makes an offer to the UIL if no one makes an offer I think NFHS gets the first shot at the title games..I do know its important to the UIL to have the games on linear TV but I think that importance is slowly waning...Bally continues to make cut backs and I imagine they will have a scaled down production at state this year

Yeah, in a time where so many people are getting away from Dish/Directv, to not be able to find games by just paying for a streaming service is absurd.  Bally has really been a let down.  I saw the Rangers were ending their deal with them.  Hopefully it will lead to more availability.  It's just not worth it to pay for those networks just to see Rangers/Stars/State Championships.

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Honestly it all depends on who steps up and makes an offer to the UIL if no one makes an offer I think NFHS gets the first shot at the title games..I do know its important to the UIL to have the games on linear TV but I think that importance is slowly waning...Bally continues to make cut backs and I imagine they will have a scaled down production at state this year

I hope somebody else offers a deal because NFHS is so inconsistent for me

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TIMRIGGINS said:

I hope somebody else offers a deal because NFHS is so inconsistent for me

yes... I think there should be a competition among schools av, news or broadcast classes. Where the winning schools get to do the broadcast and comminate the game on a live channel. All done by the kids besides getting the signal out to a national audience and have the commercials ready to fire up an go whenever needed.  Now which channel would be interesting.

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Bally Sports has been a colossal failure for many fans nationwide...including those in North Texas.

No deals with the majority of streaming services (Hulu, Youtube).... unavailability on many cable outlets.

Rangers, Mavericks, and Stars games have been difficult to find for a lotta folks.

UIL state championships are no exception.  Anyone that doesn't have Bally on their cable....or doesn't have Fubo or Direct streaming is left out in the cold.

Now Bally is saying they will likely cease operations next September with the conclusion of the MLB season.

Will another RSN step up?  Or could it go back to the way it was back in the day when a local DFW station distributed Ranger and Mav games.  Same with the state championships.

I don't have Bally since I switched to Youtube (I dumped Direct because of the Fox51 debacle).

Very frustrating.

FireStick!!!! Just jail break it $42 for 3 months of service and you don’t have to pay for YouTube tv for nfl or cable services 

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Very frustrating.

Scrap NFHS while you’re at it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TrumpisDump said:

This is why people bootleg things. 

UIL starting to crack down on some of the bootleg streams...illegal streamers were getting kicked out of stadiums last week and I know we are shutting down people who take TexanLive streams and put them on facebook etc....violation of the terms and conditions

It's a game of whack-a-mole but the big ones that do numbers are pretty easy to find

Edited by MattStepp
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

UIL starting to crack down on some of the bootleg streams...illegal streamers were getting kicked out of stadiums last week and I know we are shutting down people who take TexanLive streams and put them on facebook etc....violation of the terms and conditions

It's a game of whack-a-mole but the big ones that do numbers are pretty easy to find

I got a cousin who got a cousin who is good at stuff like that hahaha

9 hours ago, BuckNut said:

I got an idea if you want to watch a game go to it and watch in person.

Yeah, cuz we can all take off 3 days of work to go watch football every single year.

The fact is they offer a broadcast, which is not a bad thing.  If you don't like it, don't watch it.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:14 AM, JBizzle said:

Yeah, in a time where so many people are getting away from Dish/Directv, to not be able to find games by just paying for a streaming service is absurd.  Bally has really been a let down.  I saw the Rangers were ending their deal with them.  Hopefully it will lead to more availability.  It's just not worth it to pay for those networks just to see Rangers/Stars/State Championships.

The Rangers are one of the fortunate one's in MLB. Bally has already cut ties with most of the MLB teams that they were carrying on a regional basis. The contract with the Rangers had only 1 more year left on it so Bally decided to honor the last year so we will have Ranger baseball in 2024. Bally said they will not renew the contract with the Rangers after that which makes one believe that they will totally shut down next October.

5 hours ago, hoopscoach17 said:

The Rangers are one of the fortunate one's in MLB. Bally has already cut ties with most of the MLB teams that they were carrying on a regional basis. The contract with the Rangers had only 1 more year left on it so Bally decided to honor the last year so we will have Ranger baseball in 2024. Bally said they will not renew the contract with the Rangers after that which makes one believe that they will totally shut down next October.

Maybe not... https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/texas-rangers-could-get-broadcast-rights-back-before-2025

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 7:41 AM, MattStepp said:

Uil makes enough money off the kids they should be pushing for it to happen instead of waiting on offers.  

22 minutes ago, tbird9100 said:

Uil makes enough money off the kids they should be pushing for it to happen instead of waiting on offers.  

I'm sure legally the UIL can't really solicit offers for the state games/playoff rights because Bally's is still in business and the contract is still valid...I'm sure behind the scenes there are contingencies in place

48 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I'm sure legally the UIL can't really solicit offers for the state games/playoff rights because Bally's is still in business and the contract is still valid...I'm sure behind the scenes there are contingencies in place

Happens all the time

On 12/4/2023 at 9:16 PM, BuckNut said:

I got an idea if you want to watch a game go to it and watch in person.

I want them to go back to championship games on SATURDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to have to beg and borrow with a principal or superintendent to get permission to take the last day before Christmas every year. 

32 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

I want them to go back to championship games on SATURDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to have to beg and borrow with a principal or superintendent to get permission to take the last day before Christmas every year. 

yea no reason not to have an 11, a 2 a 6 and 10 game on Friday and Saturday. Wednesday is so early. Thursday games could have 4 then too, make it from 4 days to to three days. When 7A happens they will have to have 4 on Friday and Saturday anyway so maybe the current format is to allow for those extra games.