ETX 5A Div II football; Combined ETX 5A non football sports

Mavchamp

UIL could always shock us all and blow the current district up.  But it's really not expected now that we know Longview is headed up.... and SS and Lindale are staying down.

Here's what's expected:

5A Division II
Texas High
Marshall
Whitehouse
Mount Pleasant
Hallsville
Nacogdoches
Jacksonville

Football basically goes unchanged for 6/7 spots.  But Pine Tree will be headed down to 4A Div I and Jacksonville will likely slide into their position.  PT had become an annual playoff contender and occasional playoff participant.  Jacksonville has REALLY struggled for a while now.  While the bottom of the district will probably be less competitive going forward...it looks like THS, Marshall, and Whitehouse should be battling for 1-2-3 for the foreseeable future.  Leaves Hallsville and Nac to battle out for the final playoff berth.

-------------------------------

Lots of changes for all the other sports.  Pine Tree dropping down and Jacksonville moving up will remain in place....but Longview moving up to 6A is an added detail.  Tyler would again join the district for all non-football sports.

Jacksonville traditionally has gone South with Lufkin and Nac...but they are expected to stay with us this time around.

Again...UIL could do some wild things to shake it up...but this is what's being predicted MOST

Other Sports
Texas High
Marshall
Whitehouse
Mount Pleasant
Hallsville
Jacksonville
Tyler

The loss of Longview and PT and adding only Jax means 4/7 teams will make the playoffs instead of 4/8.  Good news for all, especially with the consistency Longview was taking playoff spots across the board.

This is going to be a really good soccer district with MP, Jax, and Whitehouse.  Tyler has had some strong squads through the years too.

Strong baseball district with Texas High, Marshall, and Whitehouse

Inconsistent basketball district with Whitehouse, Marshall, Texas High, Tyler, and Hallsville

There's always a POSSIBILITY that Lufkin and Nac could be added to the district for a 9 team ALL ETX district.    But most are expecting Nac and Lufkin to head south.

Looks like a fun 2 years for all involved. 

Adios to PT and Longview.

51 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Need to add Hallsville to the strong baseball list. Can be left off for all other boys sports for the most part with the occasional uprising.

The girls volleyball and softball will remain top notch in the district.

Obvious mis-type.  Hallsville has been the class of the district in baseball for the better part of a decade or more.

I'm looking forward to the new district.  Should be very competitive in all sports.

Seems a lot more level with Longview out.  Tyler is still significantly bigger than everyone else in the district, but their athletic department isn't in the same stratosphere as Longview. 

It's crazy to me that there are 5A schools with almost 1,000 more students than another 5A school and can be in the same district. 

I guess that's not likely to change until if and when 7A becomes a reality.  

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Try explaining the different classes sizes and then D1 and D2 to people from out of state. I get a lot of blank stares.

Going back to the early to mid 80s Hallsville was consistent in baseball with 20 plus win seasons.

Their heads would explode if you had to explain the playoff system Louisiana has 

7 hours ago, CreateMyAccount said:

Go on 

They divide their schools up by division based on enrollment size.  Division I are the largest schools.  Division IV are the smallest schools.

But they have two titles per division.  Select and non-select.  

If a school is a private school, a charter school, or a public school that has open enrollment....they are places in the SELECT bracket.

If it's just a public school with no open enrollment.... it's put in the non-select bracket.

So....even as small as Louisiana is.....they have EIGHT state champions.  A select and a non-select for each division I, II, III, and IV.

Do you remember the days that it was only after the 4 teams going into the playoff was decided that it was determined which teams would go Div 1 "big school" and which would go Div 2 "small school"?   It had to do only with whether you were bigger or smaller in comparison the 3 other playoff teams from your own district.   That led to some strange results.     In 2002 Texas High and Denton Ryan were the two champs in 4A (what is now 5A).    Texas High was the Div 1 "big school" champ.   Denton Ryan was the Div 2 "small school" champ.    As it turned out the "small school" champ had 400 MORE students than the "big school" champ.   

4 hours ago, Ace said:

Do you remember the days that it was only after the 4 teams going into the playoff was decided that it was determined which teams would go Div 1 "big school" and which would go Div 2 "small school"?   It had to do only with whether you were bigger or smaller in comparison the 3 other playoff teams from your own district.   That led to some strange results.     In 2002 Texas High and Denton Ryan were the two champs in 4A (what is now 5A).    Texas High was the Div 1 "big school" champ.   Denton Ryan was the Div 2 "small school" champ.    As it turned out the "small school" champ had 400 MORE students than the "big school" champ.   

Marshall won the 5A "Big School" bracket in 1990 with an enrollment of like 1700. 

Aldine won the 5A "small school" bracket that same year with 2200. 

30 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall won the 5A "Big School" bracket in 1990 with an enrollment of like 1700. 

Aldine won the 5A "small school" bracket that same year with 2200. 

Marshall is another great example of the "oddity".    Several years ago the UIL went to completely separate Div 1 and Div 2 districts (for football only) based on enrollment.    Mavchamp, when was that change?   

21 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

They divide their schools up by division based on enrollment size.  Division I are the largest schools.  Division IV are the smallest schools.

But they have two titles per division.  Select and non-select.  

If a school is a private school, a charter school, or a public school that has open enrollment....they are places in the SELECT bracket.

If it's just a public school with no open enrollment.... it's put in the non-select bracket.

So....even as small as Louisiana is.....they have EIGHT state champions.  A select and a non-select for each division I, II, III, and IV.

They kind of do the same in Michigan. Schools are divided into divisions. 1-8. 1 being largest, 8 being smallest except for 8 man. There are even 2 divisions for 8 man. So in total 10 state champions in Michigan. All sports are done this way.

23 hours ago, Ace said:

Marshall is another great example of the "oddity".    Several years ago the UIL went to completely separate Div 1 and Div 2 districts (for football only) based on enrollment.    Mavchamp, when was that change?   

They started with the lower classifications a pretty good while ago.  It has inched its way up to every class except 6A.

5A separated into Div I and Div II districts with the 2018 realignment.  So this will be the 4th alignment with predetermined districts.