Celina vs Gunter 2024

TCU44

On 1/16/2024 at 1:27 PM, Pax said:

Gunter has no reason to cheat in order to stay down at D2.  Gunter played and beat Brock 35-12 this year.  Brock lost the state semifinal in 3AD1 to Malakoff 38-31 - who went on to beat Franklin in the state championship 14-7.  Gunter would have been right in that mix at D1 just the same.  Risking getting caught cheating to avoid moving up to D1 when they would clearly be just as competitive makes absolutely zero sense.  It's just the same story with any successful program.  The accusations of cheating come with the territory.  We are used to it at this point.  It's actually flattering that there are people out there that cannot fathom how Gunter can have such a good program without cheating.  There is zero evidence of it, but the accusations are ultimately nothing more than flattery.

TBF you really can't make an accurate statement about them competing at that level until they are. They played an early Brock team with identity issues with fresh transfers, plus it doesn't always take a Brock, Franklin or Malakoff to put a rising team into a loss. Its more about the scheme's a coach can come up with and execution of that scheme, great example is the Malakoff v Franklin game with 1 week to prepare for a very very dominant Slot T offense. Gunter may have found some success but to immediately thrown them in with the best of the best in D1 is pushing it.

22 minutes ago, 2Punks said:

I could be wrong. My rememberer is getting worse each year. But doesn’t subvarsity play Celina fairly regularly? I know that next year’s seniors played Celina as 7th or 8th graders and lost. I think a subvarsity team played Celina this past season and won. I understand that’s not varsity, but despite some people’s misguided opinions, they are the same kids that move onto the varsity team.

Same kids still develop yearly and with Celina staying atop 4A-D1 i would say its a misguided opinion to base off of jr/jv ball

22 hours ago, ROHOAlum said:

TBF you really can't make an accurate statement about them competing at that level until they are. They played an early Brock team with identity issues with fresh transfers, plus it doesn't always take a Brock, Franklin or Malakoff to put a rising team into a loss. Its more about the scheme's a coach can come up with and execution of that scheme, great example is the Malakoff v Franklin game with 1 week to prepare for a very very dominant Slot T offense. Gunter may have found some success but to immediately thrown them in with the best of the best in D1 is pushing it.

Same kids still develop yearly and with Celina staying atop 4A-D1 i would say its a misguided opinion to base off of jr/jv ball

My only point was that Gunter does play Celina at the subvarsity level. I really don’t have an opinion about how next year’s varsity team will show against Celina. Well, that’s not entirely true, my option is that they will, at the very least, be competitive against them. But, we shall see.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:14 AM, ROHOAlum said:

Brock played an early Gunter, too...  it always baffles me when people use this argument as if you're playing your second game against a team that's playing their 12th.  It was early for both teams.  I'm not declaring Gunter state champs in D1 because they beat Brock; I'm merely justifying an argument that they would be competitive.  Nothing more.

Edited by Pax
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 12:20 PM, TrumpisDump said:

Gunter and Koff in a semi finals game would be nice to see.. Maybe state depending on the route and region they're in. 

Word is Gunter gets Celina, Brock and Koff in pre-district.

The potential Week 2 is a doozy as well. It's not out there yet because they are each trying to find other opponents. or Gunter might just take a double bye, but if you think the schedule is super tough now....

Edited by JasonDellaRosa

16 hours ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

The potential Week 2 is a doozy as well. It's not out there yet because they are each trying to find other opponents. or Gunter might just take a double bye, but if you think the schedule is super tough now....

Lovejoy?