Celina vs Gunter 2024

TCU44

I honestly can't believe this game is happening.

But I'm glad it is. Should be a fairly entertaining matchup. Gunter has the talent, heart and pedigree to go toe-to-toe. That said, Celina should be a notch or two better this season than they were in 2023, so I also believe they have the talent and the depth to make it look like a mistake on Gunter's part to schedule this game.

4 hours ago, GraysonFan said:

Roster sizes really aren't any different.   They'll both be competitive games. 

I agree with that for the upcoming year.  Gunter will have close to 30-35 seniors.  When things get a little dicey will be next fall, 2025.  That could get ugly

I haven't looked at future numbers, but I know Gunter has more seniors on their roster than the other teams in their district are projected to have on their whole varsity.   Most teams in their district have been suiting up below 30 on Friday nights the past couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Gunter’s schedule this season was mentioned.  Celina also has a challenging early season schedule:

Week 1   Bellville (#3 4A-D2 by DCTF)

‘Week 2  LaVega (#8 4A-D2 by DCTF)

‘Week 3  Gunter (#1 3A-D1 by DCTF)

‘Week 4 Franklin (#3 3A-D1 by DCTF)

Week 5 Frisco Panther Creek (#3 4A-D1 by DCTF)

Edited by C_Bobcats2024

2 minutes ago, C_Bobcats2024 said:

Gunter’s schedule this season was mentioned.  Celina also has a challenging early season schedule:

Week 1   Belleville (#3 4A-D2 by DCTF)

Yeah, I love this so much. Celina has never really made a point of scheduling a super tough pre-district schedule.

In fact, I’d argue this is far and away the best/toughest schedule Celina has ever assembled. No team outside the top 10 in their respective classes. Just an absolute gauntlet, and a great treat as a fan. The Bobcats will be battle tested, no doubt. They’ll be ready for a title run come November.

40 minutes ago, C_Bobcats2024 said:

Week 1   Bellville (#3 4A-D2 by DCTF)

Lots of run based teams

12 hours ago, Ballboy23 said:

who will be Celina's QB this season? Probably a good question for Gunter also. 

Most likely, it'll be Bowe Bentley, the younger brother of Noah Bentley. Bowe got a decent amount of time last year as a sophomore, and I imagine he'll take the reigns this fall. If not him, there is another youngster, Case Chelf, who is a stud athlete and played safety for us last season. He could easily slide in and play QB as well. Both have strong arms and both can beat you with their legs as well.

6 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Is celina run heavy as well?

Celina will be pretty balanced, but Bobcats will certainly be “run first.”

Return a senior all-state RB and a junior whose probably the best of the two, but was injured during playoffs last year. Regardless of who takes over at QB, they will be a run threat as well. Got a couple speedy skill-type receivers and a pretty tall receiver who moved in from Lovejoy (I believe). Also have a nice H-Back/Tight End and our MLB will feature in some “heavy” packages as well.

The offensive line returns the house. They will be dominant. They’re big, athletic, strong and nasty. Good in run game and pass pro.

Offensively, this should be the best the Bobcats have been in a bit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

Celina will be pretty balanced, but Bobcats will certainly be “run first.”

Return a senior all-state RB and a junior whose probably the best of the two, but was injured during playoffs last year. Regardless of who takes over at QB, they will be a run threat as well. Got a couple speedy skill-type receivers and a pretty tall receiver who moved in from Lovejoy (I believe). Also have a nice H-Back/Tight End and our MLB will feature in some “heavy” packages as well.

The offensive line returns the house. They will be dominant. They’re big, athletic, strong and nasty. Good in run game and pass pro.

Offensively, this should be the best the Bobcats have been in a bit.

Looking forward to the matchup in week 1… sounds like our defense will get thrown in the fire quick!

6 hours ago, Utfan06 said:

Looking forward to the matchup in week 1… sounds like our defense will get thrown in the fire quick!

Yeah, can’t wait for that game! Should be a good one!

On 6/24/2024 at 10:08 PM, Ballboy23 said:

who will be Celina's QB this season? Probably a good question for Gunter also. 

Preston Tarpley is set to take the reigns. Been the backup for 2 years but has gotten extensive playing time due to the weekly blowouts and certain packages they would pull out. This team will be the most spread-out offense GT has had as Tarpley has a great arm and they have a plethora of skill players. Also coming off a 7on7 state championship. No question that Gunter's defense will be well-prepared, just have to see how the offense finds their way early in the season.   

On 6/29/2024 at 9:49 AM, Hawkball7 said:

Preston Tarpley is set to take the reins. Been the backup for 2 years but has gotten extensive playing time due to the weekly blowouts and certain packages they would pull out. This team will be the most spread-out offense GT has had as Tarpley has a great arm and they have a plethora of skill players. Also coming off a 7on7 state championship. No question that Gunter's defense will be well-prepared, just have to see how the offense finds their way early in the season.   

Think Celina will win because of their advantage in the trenches