Jump to content

Jason Hammet takes over AD/HFC at Marshall: Alvarez retires


Mr. P

Recommended Posts

Surprised it took as long as it did. 

Hate it for him under the circumstances… the 2024 team is going to be really talented.  He has his fingerprints all over this team. 

Mavs almost pulled off one of the of the biggest playoffs upsets against #2 Midlothian Heritage in November 21-14.

I don’t think we will see the staff turnover we saw when Griedl and Mathis left.  Hire will likely come within.  Former 6A HFC that came to Marshall with Alvarez.

This will likely keep the current systems in place offensively and defensively.  From what I hear the staff will remain intact.  

Thats realllly important.  We need some continuity.  I’m excited about the news to come. 

Stay tuned  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the Marshall News Messenger

Marshall's Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Jack Alvarez is retiring and will be replaced by Jason Hammett, according to Marshall ISD.

Hammett served as assistant athletic director under Alvarez. Marshall ISD also said Hunter Ashley had been named as assistant athletic director and defensive coordinator.

Alvarez spent two seasons as the leader of the Mavericks, leading them to two years of post season playoff games. In addition to coaching, he has also been a key figure in building a strong coaching staff and providing MHS student athletes with character education programs, the district said.

“MISD appreciates the leadership Coach Alvarez has shown over the past two years," Superintendent Richele Langley said. "He has done many positive things for our athletic program, including building a strong coaching staff. Coach Alvarez will be missed and we wish him much happiness during his retirement.

"Immediately upon hearing of Coach Alvarez’s pending retirement, my thoughts went to our football players. They have spent the last two years working with a remarkable coaching staff, learning plays, schemes and building relationships. I think it is very important to any program, that we think of what is best for our students," she said. "I do not believe, at this time, it would be in their best interest to start from square one with a new coaching staff. Continuity is not only important for building strong relationships, but also for building great programs. My guidance to the MISD school board, was to allow some of our current coaches to be promoted so that our boys are able to continue focusing on honing their skills, and not having to focus on developing new relationships or learn a whole new system this spring.”

Hammett has 23 years of coaching experience. He is a graduate of West Texas A&M University and coached in Central Texas and the Dallas area before coming to Marshall, including Ennis, Corsicana and Burleson Centennial. He has served as the offensive coordinator/assistant head coach for 11 seasons.

Hammett is married to his wife Lauren, who currently serves as the district coordinator of special education. They have three children in Marshall ISD. Hudson an 11th grader, Maggie a ninth-grader, and Griffin a third-grader.

Ashley has coached in South Texas and the Dallas area. He is originally from Grape Creek and graduated from Texas Tech University. He served as the assistant head coach on the 2021 4A Division II state semifinal team in Cuero and defensive coordinator on the 2023 5A Division II bi-district champion team in Marshall. He was serving as the defensive coordinator for the Marshall Mavericks.

Ashley is married to his wife, Shelby, who also works for the district as an ARD facilitator for MISD. They have two sons, Kallan who is 5 and Madden who is 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mavchamp changed the title to Jason Hammet takes over AD/HFC at Marshall: Alvarez retires
1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Surprised it took as long as it did. 

Hate it for him under the circumstances… the 2024 team is going to be really talented.  He has his fingerprints all over this team. 

Mavs almost pulled off one of the of the biggest playoffs upsets against #2 Midlothian Heritage in November 21-14.

I don’t think we will see the staff turnover we saw when Griedl and Mathis left.  Hire will likely come within.  Former 6A HFC that came to Marshall with Alvarez.

This will likely keep the current systems in place offensively and defensively.  From what I hear the staff will remain intact.  

Thats realllly important.  We need some continuity.  I’m excited about the news to come. 

Stay tuned  

 

 

Well the question is will the offense remain the same ? We all know this was Alvarez’s system. Hammett might change it up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Well the question is will the offense remain the same ? We all know this was Alvarez’s system. Hammett might change it up. 

I think he’ll tweak it.  I don’t think he’ll do a total overhaul.

I won’t miss all those risky 4th downs that cost us games.  Midlothian, Crandall, Hallsville.

But it’s the offense he was involved with at Ennis and Corsicana. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

Marshall does what Marshall does. 12-11 and they promote from within. 
 

i just…….

Half of those losses were to Longview and Carthage.  Both top 5 both seasons.  What coach was going to change that with the talent on the field? 

No one.  There isn’t a single coach that was going to beat either with the talent we had. 

I think it’s a good hire. Let’s keep the systems in place.   Add some younger energy. Build on what we got. 

Starting from scratch every 3 years is not the answer.

We just took the #2 team in the state to the brink of elimination in the playoffs.  Let’s build on that instead of burning down the temple to bring in another flashy name.   We know what they do after they win a few playoff games…..  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's an interesting choice...I see both sides, I thought Marshall made some strides under Alvarez and looked pretty stout at the end of last year. So hiring fron within in that regard makes a lot of sense.

But there's also reality they are hiring a guy that's 2-18 as a head coach without any type of search/process....if it doesn't go well, there's going to be a ton of second guessing.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

Marshall does what Marshall does. 12-11 and they promote from within. 
 

i just…….

This is the right move. Expecting more is a pipe dream. However, like Mav said Half of your losses are to premier teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

It's an interesting choice...I see both sides, I thought Marshall made some strides under Alvarez and looked pretty stout at the end of last year. So hiring fron within in that regard makes a lot of sense.

But there's also reality they are hiring a guy that's 2-18 as a head coach without any type of search/process....if it doesn't go well, there's going to be a ton of second guessing.

 

End of the day evaluate next year and see where you’re at. Marshall is very good job if you’re an East Texan guy. The Mavs have the infrastructure of what you need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeKlabBeers said:

I didn't know there was a town in East Texas called Marshall.... I was so confused as to why we talking about a coaching change at a university in West Virginia.

Right next to Dekalb University 

  • LOL! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2024 at 7:14 AM, MattStepp said:

It's an interesting choice...I see both sides, I thought Marshall made some strides under Alvarez and looked pretty stout at the end of last year. So hiring fron within in that regard makes a lot of sense.

But there's also reality they are hiring a guy that's 2-18 as a head coach without any type of search/process....if it doesn't go well, there's going to be a ton of second guessing.

 

I agree 100%.

Keeping a staff intact after complete turnovers in 2022, 2019, and 2017….. is stability that’s very much needed right now.

The team we saw in November was NOTHING like the team we saw in September.  The growth in the last part of the season was tremendous.  It makes no sense to start all over AGAIN with new coaches AND new offensive and defensive systems.

Like I previously said….. we took the #2 team in the state to the brink in the area round. Clearly this staff has things going right.  Take back a questionable 4th down call by the coach. And that game may have had a different outcome.

Lets keep that ball rolling. 

As far as the 2-18…. Of course that’s a concern.  But peeking at Copperas Cove’s non district schedule those years was pretty brutal with good teams like Waxahachie .   Then you get into district play with the likes of Temple, Bryan, Killeen, etc.  That’s a tough situation to take over when the program is in decline. 

The bigger questions for me are……

1.  If he’s successful and Marshall makes some deep runs…..will he stick around and build something special?  Or will he head off to a bigger school? 

Or…….

2.  If he’s unsuccessful and things go poorly…. How long will he get before something changes?  No one wants a repeat of 2011/2012. 

Anyhow….. I like the move.  And I support Coach Hammett.  Let’s go Mavs!!!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so i'm assuming Stanford at Texas High is the longest tenured coach in the district ? year seven 

mount Pleasant - Joe Cluley - year 3

Nac - Darby House entering into year two 

Marshall - Jason Hammett year one

Hallsville - Jason Strickland year four i believe 

whitehouse -Kyle Westerberg year four  

im excluding pine tree due to the impending drop. please correct me if i'm wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree 100%.

Keeping a staff intact after complete turnovers in 2022, 2019, and 2017….. is stability that’s very much needed right now.

The team we saw in November was NOTHING like the team we saw in September.  The growth in the last part of the season was tremendous.  It makes no sense to start all over AGAIN with new coaches AND new offensive and defensive systems.

Like I previously said….. we took the #2 team in the state to the brink in the area round. Clearly this staff has things going right.  Take back a questionable 4th down call by the coach. And that game may have had a different outcome.

Lets keep that ball rolling. 

As far as the 2-18…. Of course that’s a concern.  But peeking at Copperas Cove’s non district schedule those years was pretty brutal with good teams like Waxahachie .   Then you get into district play with the likes of Temple, Bryan, Killeen, etc.  That’s a tough situation to take over when the program is in decline. 

The bigger questions for me are……

1.  If he’s successful and Marshall makes some deep runs…..will he stick around and build something special?  Or will he head off to a bigger school? 

Or…….

2.  If he’s unsuccessful and things go poorly…. How long will he get before something changes?  No one wants a repeat of 2011/2012. 

Anyhow….. I like the move.  And I support Coach Hammett.  Let’s go Mavs!!!  

I'm Assuming those are the Richter years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

so i'm assuming Stanford at Texas High is the longest tenured coach in the district ? year seven 

mount Pleasant - Joe Cluley - year 3

Nac - Darby House entering into year two 

Marshall - Jason Hammett year one

Hallsville - Jason Strickland year four i believe 

whitehouse -Kyle Westerberg year four  

im excluding pine tree due to the impending drop. please correct me if i'm wrong.

Tbh…. I’m shocked metro teams haven’t reached out to Stanford and Westerberg. 

The district has been a coaching carousel 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

I'm Assuming those are the Richter years.

Program lows in every facet.  Nearly killed the program completely. 
 

TBH… when Harper was hired in 2013…. I really thought that was the long term solution. The success of the 2015 season solidified that in my mind.  His departure in 2017 still shocks me.  But who can blame him?  The chance to be AD at a program like Duncanville is something you can’t turn down.  But with hindsight…. He probably wishes he had stayed in Marshall.   I think 2018 would have been just as good if not better under Harper.   More good years in 19, 21, and 23.  I don’t think 20 would have imploded the way it did under him.  But oh well. 

We are in a much better place than we were in 2011.
 

With realignment and how districts could rearrange… another region semis seems within reach.  But we have some work to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree 100%.

Keeping a staff intact after complete turnovers in 2022, 2019, and 2017….. is stability that’s very much needed right now.

The team we saw in November was NOTHING like the team we saw in September.  The growth in the last part of the season was tremendous.  It makes no sense to start all over AGAIN with new coaches AND new offensive and defensive systems.

Like I previously said….. we took the #2 team in the state to the brink in the area round. Clearly this staff has things going right.  Take back a questionable 4th down call by the coach. And that game may have had a different outcome.

Lets keep that ball rolling. 

As far as the 2-18…. Of course that’s a concern.  But peeking at Copperas Cove’s non district schedule those years was pretty brutal with good teams like Waxahachie .   Then you get into district play with the likes of Temple, Bryan, Killeen, etc.  That’s a tough situation to take over when the program is in decline. 

The bigger questions for me are……

1.  If he’s successful and Marshall makes some deep runs…..will he stick around and build something special?  Or will he head off to a bigger school? 

Or…….

2.  If he’s unsuccessful and things go poorly…. How long will he get before something changes?  No one wants a repeat of 2011/2012. 

Anyhow….. I like the move.  And I support Coach Hammett.  Let’s go Mavs!!!  

If Hammett can keep the normal cycle of what Alvarez has done in other programs, in the next two years things will are going to be really fun in Marshall.

He may have a questionable record overall as a coach, but I think this was the right move. I really think Marshall is not only going to challenge for district, they very well could be challenging for the region in the next few years if everything stays true to form.

I honestly felt that Marshall was on the brink of a really solid run. Let’s hope Alvarez‘s retirement doesn’t slow that down.

Edited by kingwolf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2024 at 7:14 AM, MattStepp said:

It's an interesting choice...I see both sides, I thought Marshall made some strides under Alvarez and looked pretty stout at the end of last year. So hiring fron within in that regard makes a lot of sense.

But there's also reality they are hiring a guy that's 2-18 as a head coach without any type of search/process....if it doesn't go well, there's going to be a ton of second guessing.

 

Agreed, but the easiest way to combat that in Marshall is a 3-1 or 4-0 start to the season...

We had skepticism in Marshall with 9-1 seasons.  I remember, personally, doubting the State run where I think Marshall dropped a few games when they had Robinson at RB.  

It comes with the job in Marshall.  

I believe having a guy that wants to be there is the key.  We thought we had that with the Marshall alum, turned out to be false.  Then the next guy, false.  Alvarez, false.  Now on to this guy.  Hell, give the town 5 years before moving on.  I think a system can work with the athletes that pour out of Marshall.  There hasn't be a fluid system for more than 3 years that I can remember over the past 10-12 seasons.  That is kind of sad for a town so rich in tradition and talent.  I am confident that @Mavchamp likely has more details and feelings regarding the same sense of continuity and community needed at Marshall ISD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DeKlabBeers said:

I didn't know there was a town in East Texas called Marshall.... I was so confused as to why we talking about a coaching change at a university in West Virginia.

You should see the comments when I tell people that I was the head AT at Marshall.

"We are Marshall?"
"I was Marshall, but no, not that one."
"Well, that was almost awesome."
"Marshall HS in East Texas has more consistency than the university you are trying to associate us with."
"Never heard of it."
 

Tell you you don't follow Texas football without telling me that you don't follow Texas football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...