DeBoer replaces retired legend Nick Saban at Alabama

On 1/12/2024 at 3:42 PM, JustAFan11 said:

We’ll see, the biggest questions for him are recruiting. He’s also never been in the south/southeast, the game is much different down here.

Right now Bama recruits itself but if he has a couple down years or he fails to find a Qb/wr that can mimic what he had at Washington to make his offense go, things could get tricky.

Deboer is a really good offensive mind but we haven’t seen him do it with any Qb other than Penix. Some Bama are going to leave town regardless of who they hired, so we’re going to get to see real quick how he is as a roster manager. At Washington he had 9 sixth year players this season, he’s going to have to build it at Alabama. 

He also hasn’t been anywhere for more than 2 years. It’s going to be interesting to see.

32 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

He doesn’t lose that much, tbh. 

If anything, I think Texas is better next year than this past year.

They lose about 80% of their receiving production and several big pieces of the defense. Really don’t understand the take of them not losing much. 

Im not saying they are going to suddenly become a 6-6 team, just don’t think they are a playoff contender. I can see a 8-4 or 9-3 type season where they drop a game or two that’s close like they did in 2022 where the inexperience in certain positions cost them. 

On 1/12/2024 at 7:53 PM, WETSU said:

The Washington guy would have ended up at Texas if Bama hired Sark imo. This is the year we really see what Sark is made of. He loses so much and plays a tougher schedule that he’s had. If he wins 10+ this year I’ll be sold on him, but I’m expecting more like 7 or 8 with the amount of production he’s lost. 

I think you said the same thing last year and they finished the Season #3 in the Country and beat the SEC champs 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WETSU said:

They lose about 80% of their receiving production and several big pieces of the defense. Really don’t understand the take of them not losing much. 

Im not saying they are going to suddenly become a 6-6 team, just don’t think they are a playoff contender. I can see a 8-4 or 9-3 type season where they drop a game or two that’s close like they did in 2022 where the inexperience in certain positions cost them. 

9 - 3 in the SEC is a playoff contender

17 hours ago, WETSU said:

This guy is not nick saban.  I am guessing he will lose way more close games that Bama was able to pull off with Saban

38 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Surprising how little the SEC coaching staffs have changed from the Saban retirement. Everyone kept their coach and their assistants they wanted to keep. 

They all have the same agent lol. 

Honestly that’s why I was fine with Debaor. I knew he would not pull any guys off Oklahoma’s staff like some others might. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

DeBoer’s and Wommack’s jobs just got tougher. Caleb Downs is in the portal. I think he’s probably headed to UGA. That’s a huge loss on defense. 

Caden Proctor too. 

If you want to laugh, Google the phrase “Alabama recruits itself” and consider how wrong the past three days have proven that statement. Most of those players didn’t come to play for Alabama. They didn’t care how many national titles the Crimson Tide claimed or how glorious Bryant-Denny Stadium is or how beautiful it sounds when those first strains of Skynyrd fire up a half-hour before each game. Bear Bryant is just a statue to them. They came to play for Nick Saban. Saban plans to stay around the program, which should help some. But he won’t coach these players day-to-day. The coaches from those other schools are going to tell those players that from now on Saban might as well be just another statue. ”

This quote from an On3 pretty much sums up the situation. 

Edited by Valhalla

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Caden Proctor too. 

If you want to laugh, Google the phrase “Alabama recruits itself” and consider how wrong the past three days have proven that statement. Most of those players didn’t come to play for Alabama. They didn’t care how many national titles the Crimson Tide claimed or how glorious Bryant-Denny Stadium is or how beautiful it sounds when those first strains of Skynyrd fire up a half-hour before each game. Bear Bryant is just a statue to them. They came to play for Nick Saban. Saban plans to stay around the program, which should help some. But he won’t coach these players day-to-day. The coaches from those other schools are going to tell those players that from now on Saban might as well be just another statue. ”

This quote from an On3 pretty much sums up the situation. 

A lot of that is very likely true, especially for kids from out of state, which makes up the bulk of the portal entries since the retirement announcement came out. Kayden Proctor (LT from Iowa who had a very up and down freshman season) has also entered the portal. Caleb Downs is from Georgia and Isaiah Bond is from Florida I believe. Deboer is going to have to prove himself to recruits, but I don’t know that anyone will ever be able to recruit on a level with Saban, although Kirby Smart is giving it a go. 

3 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

Baylor would seem like a good fit

Since it's a private school they could pay him a crazy amount (for his experience) and not have to disclose it. 

If I'm a BU regent, I'd tell the AD to make it happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Since it's a private school they could pay him a crazy amount (for his experience) and not have to disclose it. 

If I'm a BU regent, I'd tell the AD to make it happen. 

unless Aranda pulls off a 8+ win season next year then i think it happens. I know several that wanted it to happen weeks ago.

Edited by Tex85