Joaquin Boys AD/ Head Football Coach

Jared Jones is the new Boys Athletic Director and Head Football Coach at Joaquin ISD. Jared is a 2005 graduate of JHS, and has been the offensive coordinator for the Rams as well as the boys track and field coach since 2015. This will be his first head coaching job. 

My personal feelings: had there been a “home run hire” (a Kerry Therwanger or Rocky Baker, someone with head coaching experience and a proven winning record) in the mix, tour administration would have been foolish not to at least consider them. In the absence of that, if you’re hiring someone who will be a AD/ HFC for the first time, it’s the right thing to do to give that chance to the guy who has worked hard for your school and your kids for the past nine years. Any coaching hire is a roll of the dice, no matter their resume’ or their record. But we gambled on a first time head coach nine years ago and we’ve won 70% of our games since. 

I support Coach Jones and his staff and I would encourage him to put his own stamp on the program and build it with his own vision. 

GO RAMS! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Jared Jones is the new Boys Athletic Director and Head Football Coach at Joaquin ISD. Jared is a 2005 graduate of JHS, and has been the offensive coordinator for the Rams as well as the boys track and field coach since 2015. This will be his first head coaching job. 

My personal feelings: had there been a “home run hire” (a Kerry Therwanger or Rocky Baker, someone with head coaching experience and a proven winning record) in the mix, tour administration would have been foolish not to at least consider them. In the absence of that, if you’re hiring someone who will be a AD/ HFC for the first time, it’s the right thing to do to give that chance to the guy who has worked hard for your school and your kids for the past nine years. Any coaching hire is a roll of the dice, no matter their resume’ or their record. But we gambled on a first time head coach nine years ago and we’ve won 70% of our games since. 

I support Coach Jones and his staff and I would encourage him to put his own stamp on the program and build it with his own vision. 

GO RAMS! 

Does he stay Slot T or change?

2 hours ago, VerumDixit said:

Does he stay Slot T or change?

I don’t know for sure. They’ve been incorporating some read option stuff into the offense for the last few years, but we were still running everything out of the slot-t formations until last year. In 23 we started running a limited pistol package with some more zone read and QB power concepts. I’m curious to see what he does offensively. With him having been OC, he now has that spot open so he might have someone in mind for it. I’m intrigued to say the least. 

Just a guess here but I would bet Rams will almost always be a run dominant team just from a genetic make up of the majority of kids that come through that program but a improvement in passing efficiency and ability to get their athletes the ball in space will have to be developed if they want to make it further than their past success in playoffs…. Sometimes you are just physically outmatched upfront and there has to be ways to move the ball in other ways than solely power run game…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to Coach Jones!!

I think people underestimate some of the athletes that have came through Joaquin over the past 6-8 seasons.  I don’t see going to five wide just quite yet tho ;)

Trueblue, isn’t there supposed to be a class of younger kids coming that has some very good athletes in the group?  

1 hour ago, yourteamstinks said:

Congrats to Coach Jones!!

I think people underestimate some of the athletes that have came through Joaquin over the past 6-8 seasons.  I don’t see going to five wide just quite yet tho ;)

Trueblue, isn’t there supposed to be a class of younger kids coming that has some very good athletes in the group?  

The group that will be sophomores this season has one outstanding athlete and a couple of kids that will be really good as they grow a little. I’m not sure where we stand on linemen at the time. We’re probably not as deep as the 22 group (probably one of the deepest groups we’ve had), but the cupboard isn’t bare. This district is still very strong, even with Timpson graduating one of the best classes Shelby County has ever seen. Nothing will come easy. 

16 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The group that will be sophomores this season has one outstanding athlete and a couple of kids that will be really good as they grow a little. I’m not sure where we stand on linemen at the time. We’re probably not as deep as the 22 group (probably one of the deepest groups we’ve had), but the cupboard isn’t bare. This district is still very strong, even with Timpson graduating one of the best classes Shelby County has ever seen. Nothing will come easy. 

Coach Jared is alright in my book.