Lake Travis Situation

Stoney

2 hours ago, coachc45 said:

You are correct......  there should be consequences and there were consequences.

My only argument was that I don't agree that they deserve "attempted murder" charges.  

Heck the guy who shot coach Kinne in Canton didn't get attempted murder charges but these kids should?

someome fill me in on that story.

6 minutes ago, coachc45 said:

He wasn"t because they said Intent was to hard to prove.

Hard to prove but easy to defend. If he wanted to kill Kinne he woulda shot Kinne in the head. Defense probably proved defendant could hit a target so if he wanted he coulda shot Kinne wherever he wanted. 

On 2/27/2024 at 1:20 PM, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Hard to prove but easy to defend. If he wanted to kill Kinne he woulda shot Kinne in the head. Defense probably proved defendant could hit a target so if he wanted he coulda shot Kinne wherever he wanted. 

Not what happened at all.

They never charged him with Attempted Murder because it is hard to prove intent.  They charged him with 1 count of assault on a public servant which carried same maximum penalty as Attempted Murder, and 1 count of Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

The jury ruled that coaches were not considered Public Servants but convicted him of the lesser charge of Assault with a deadly weapon.  That year after the case our Legislature added coaches to the list of public servants.

But you are making my point, they didn't charge this guy with Attempted Murder for shooting a guy, but these people wanted these players charged with it for a peanut.  Hard to prove, yet easy to defend.

12 minutes ago, coachc45 said:

Not what happened at all.

They never charged him with Attempted Murder because it is hard to prove intent.  They charged him with 1 count of assault on a public servant which carried same maximum penalty as Attempted Murder, and 1 count of Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

The jury ruled that coaches were not considered Public Servants but convicted him of the lesser charge of Assault with a deadly weapon.  That year after the case our Legislature added coaches to the list of public servants.

But you are making my point, they didn't charge this guy with Attempted Murder for shooting a guy, but these people wanted these players charged with it for a peanut.  Hard to prove, yet easy to defend.

It all really depends on all the details. If dude had shot Kinne in the head, it’s attempted murder. Obviously his intent woulda been to kill. If the kids asked the other kid if peanuts could kill him and he said “ if I eat them, they can be kill me”, then obviously it’s just assault. If the kid was vague and just said “yeah peanuts can kill me” then I could see attempted murder charges. But intent is often times hard to prove. Who knows, those kids may have intended to kill him or they may have just thought it would be funny to see him break out in a rash. Bottom line is if they indeed did ask him if peanuts could kill him and all he said was yes, then it’s attempted murder whether that charge is brought or not. 

• Like 1

If 2 adults go to a club and both drink 4 beers in an hour and then decide to head to an out-of-town football game………When 10 minutes into the trip, the driver says to his passenger, “there is a four-way stop coming up but I am going to drive 90 MPH thru it so we can get there faster”……..They hit a vehicle going thru the stop sign at 90 MPH with a 16 year licensed driver, who had come to a complete stop and started thru the intersection legally,  and a 16 year old passenger……..All four walk away with only minor injuries……Drunk driver and drunk passenger both tell the police they knew a stop sign was there but they were going to speed thru it anyway. 

Since the 16 year olds walked away, the drunk driver should get nothing but a speeding ticket, correct ?

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 12:54 PM, pine curtain said:

That is from ingesting the food and having the throat swell.

If your allergy is that bad you should have a epipen close by just in case you eat the wrong item in the cafeteria. 

The kids should have not done what they did but anybody who feels their action was attempted murder does not have a very good grasp on reality. 

1. You do not have to ingest any allergan to have an anaphylactic reaction. 2. A person with a reaction this bad, that reaction will increase everytime that they are exposed, thus any exposure may lead to death. SMDH at your attitude regarding this, 

Sticky situation. I did hear the kid transferred to Vandergrift and was their best OL. Hope they get the punishment they deserve and kids have to realize playing stupid games/pranks will get you stupid prizes. 

Could the kid have gotten anaphylactic shock? Possibly. Luckily they didn't sneak it into his food where there would be a major probability that it could have happened. But luckily they didn't. I think the biggest issue is what was their "intent". The problem was they asked him if he would die if he came in contact with peanuts and he replied yes. After learning that he could die, they still decided to do what they did. So, unfortunately for the perpetrators after learning that part many people would jump to "attempted murder". Unfortunately, these kids had major lapses in judgement when it came to hopefully what they though was an innocent prank. But, that of course is the major question of if it was "innocent".  Makes you wonder if any of these pranksters had any past behaviors of bullying in the past? Hopefully their character didn't come into question before the incident and this could help them make a case of making a bad decision. There might be legal ramifications, especially with the major blowback. But the way society works now it doesn't look like any colleges are going to give them a chance merely because optics is everything. I am not going to stand on a moral pedestal and say they need to have their life ruined. Even if there were legal ramifications, it seems like some form of justice is already prevailing with their futures being limited. Hopefully, this will serve as a lesson to students and student athletes alike to not do idiotic things. Anyway that's my opinion for it is worth very little. 

“Travis ISD confirmed that students coated the teammate’s belongings in peanut products in October,”

i don’t know how you coat clothing with peanuts but this definitely went beyond a practical joke.  

Edited by BlackBeard